Two new locomotives for Graham Farish, Jinty and Class 31

Graham_Muz

Yes but they are both old models in OO and ironically, the Bachmann one, which is the newest, is the worst with inaccurate fronts and very crude depiction of the underframe area. I actually hope they dont 'shrink' that one to N gauge and rather hope for something a little better.

Anyway, I think the new 31 will be very welcome.

I am amazed that there still isn't a decent class 25 in either N or OO, considering that they were to be seen in most parts of the country apart from perhaps the Southern, and on both passenger and freight workings. They are also so ideal for shorter trains which many people are restricted to on their layouts. I do think that lack of colour schemes may be factor. They were only really ever in green or blue. 25 322 had yellow cabsides but not large logo on BR.There were though the intercity liveried train heating units but thats about it.

I don't buy the livery argument: the Peaks are broadly equivalent in livery terms, as are the Forties and both are getting repeat Barwell attention and finessing.

In fact the Peak detail differences are not so far removed from the range of variants of their Derby Type 2 sisters...

Interesting news. I'm very surprised about the 31 as I don't feel it needs an update.

This is all my personal opinion of course, but I've always been a big fan of the existing Farish 31. The bodyshell looks 'right' to me and the gap between the bogies and the body is not excessive for the gauge.

Much better to do other locomotives that are worse such as the 25, as others have said.

Hi

Yep I'm still waiting for a 25/1.

Cheers

Paul

Me too! Not with standing the limited opportunity for liveries I really can't believe that they haven't addressed the Class 25 after producing a delightful Class 24. I'm sure it's on a "must do" list somewhere in BachFar towers - I guess it's just not a priority, which is a shame as I can't bring myself to buy the shortly to be released Poole era version (even if the chassis mechansim has been upgraded).

Interesting news. I'm very surprised about the 31 as I don't feel it needs an update.

This is all my personal opinion of course, but I've always been a big fan of the existing Farish 31. The bodyshell looks 'right' to me and the gap between the bogies and the body is not excessive for the gauge.

Much better to do other locomotives that are worse such as the 25, as others have said.

But is it just an update ?

The fact that two of the models are to be green should mean that it will be of the unrefurbished type (ie with waistband and with buffer cowls etc), which hasnt been done to date, the Poole one being a refurbed one without waistband. As already mentioned, dare we also get a skinhead and toffeeapple 31/0 in the future.

I agree that both variants of the 25 are well overdue, but I have been waiting for this to be redone, so if they also anounce the Rat at TINGS I will be well happy.

Scott

As much as I'd like a new 25, I suspect the wise thing to do would be for Farish to sit on the 25 for a while and develop other classes that Dapol aren't in direct competition with. After all, a new 25 is a safe future earner, with the chassis already developed from their 24 and I'd bet Dapol won't touch this.

The 31 is a welcome choice.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Whatever the reasons for Bachfar choosing a Class 31 rather than a Class 25, Metrovick, Fell or anything else, it will be welcome in my collection. It's a signature type for me and while it's nowhere near as dire as the old Poole 25, I've never been convinced by the loud protestations that the existing 31 is up to snuff.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that the Jinty in the photo on Bachmann's news page is shunting porthole stock...?

Whatever the reasons for Bachfar choosing a Class 31 rather than a Class 25, Metrovick, Fell or anything else, it will be welcome in my collection. It's a signature type for me and while it's nowhere near as dire as the old Poole 25, I've never been convinced by the loud protestations that the existing 31 is up to snuff.

Not sure about 'loud protestations', but I agree with the sentiment. I know there's folks who have mentioned in the past that it was in the 'can be made into something good' category, but the front end around the windows was really starting to look dated (and I'm not that interested in getting into a 'modellers who can't be bothered to do some actual modelling' argument).

Being honest - yep, okay, the Class 25 probably was the worst of the two, but I don't think the Class 31 announcement precludes it appearing at a later date. Besides which, it just means the technology, experience and know-how will be one more loco further advanced when they do get round to doing it... :)

But is it just an update ?

The fact that two of the models are to be green should mean that it will be of the unrefurbished type (ie with waistband and with buffer cowls etc), which hasnt been done to date, the Poole one being a refurbed one without waistband. As already mentioned, dare we also get a skinhead and toffeeapple 31/0 in the future.

I agree that both variants of the 25 are well overdue, but I have been waiting for this to be redone, so if they also anounce the Rat at TINGS I will be well happy.

Scott

Hi Scott,

A very fair point, let's hope that the new 31 is unrefurbished. We shall see!

• RMweb Gold

The problem is, everytime Bachmann announce a new upgrade, there is always (guilty too m'lord) a small grumble about the 25 being overlooked yet again.

I'm as frustrated/disappointed as any....but perhaps we should just concentrate from now on regarding the Jinty and 31...just a thought :)

I think it makes sense to do the 31 first, when as several people have said, the OO gauge 25 could probably do with a retool. Therefore the 31 is a "one off" for Farish, and perhaps easier to slot into production schedules etc, as Hornby do the OO gauge model. New 25s will probably be coordinated between OO and N, and while its not unknown for the N gauge model to come first with Farish, its far more common for the OO to appear before.

I am really pleased with the announcement of a new 31. The old one is a good model but it will be nice to have one that is up to today's standards with working lights, DCC ready, cab handrails that are not printed on, a better roof grill and in my favourite livery - geen with half yellow ends! I have attempted to respray two old versions in to green with half yellow and one with full yellow ends and they look ok but they are never going to look as good as factory produced ones. It would be great to get a retooled 25 and I'm sure it will happen probably in the next 2-3 years. I also hope that the class 40 will be next now that the OO version has been retooled.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Personally, a decent 31 is better for me than a 25 as there are still some running on the network. Having said that, and looking at Justin's post above, to some extent the 31 surprises me because there is no synergy with the OO range.

It has often been suggested that models in the OO range will be shrunk to N, and vice versa, because research costs can be spread. There will be plenty of research to be done on the 31 (not least because there is little/nothing they can take from the existing Farish offering) but it's unlikely they will want to produce a OO model as Hornby presumably have had most of those sales.

I realise the Class 14 has only been released in N, but I understand they had planned it in OO but were caught out by the Heljan/Hattons model.

It could be argued that this investment is represents a real committment to N; it could equally be argued that it shows how keen they are to avoid other models being "picked off" by Dapol in the way of the 50 and 52.

Perhaps both are true?

cheers

Ben A.

At last someone is thinking along the same lines as me. Well said Justin1985. Instead of complaining about what is not being made, why don't we just congratulate farish on producing another high class model. I for one will be purchasing a number of class 31's.

I am indeed greatly looking forward to a good Class 31. And will congratulate them once it is actually produced. No congratulations are due for announcements, at which all manufacturers are experts.

Chris

For those interested in a 25/1 it is possible to convert a Farish 24 using Etched Pixels excellent products. If I can do a passable job for my first ever loco conversion it can't be that difficult! For the other end of the quality spectrum have a look at Mercig Models superb example.

• RMweb Premium

For those interested in a 25/1 it is possible to convert a Farish 24 using Etched Pixels excellent products. If I can do a passable job for my first ever loco conversion it can't be that difficult! For the other end of the quality spectrum have a look at Mercig Models superb example.

Hi

Yes it is possible but I have lost count of the number of models I have built only to have one of the major RTR manufacturers then announce it a few months later (in the case of my Telescopic Steel Hood wagons it was the day I finished my first one).

I now try to select prototypes that the manufacturers are unlikely to do (failed there with both my snowplough and Inspection Saloon).

Cheers

Paul

...to some extent the 31 surprises me because there is no synergy with the OO range.

It has often been suggested that models in the OO range will be shrunk to N, and vice versa, because research costs can be spread. There will be plenty of research to be done on the 31 (not least because there is little/nothing they can take from the existing Farish offering) but it's unlikely they will want to produce a OO model as Hornby presumably have had most of these sales...

on the basis if a very poor model, way worse for appearance than Bach's 25 in either scale. It would be very welcome if Bach decided to use the necessary research to give us the 30/31 family in OO. With classes 08, 20, 37, 42, 47, 52, 66 already duplicated, OO could undoubtedly stand a 'duplicate' model of the numerous and long lived Goyle; especially one that actually looked like the subject.

• RMweb Premium

I notice that the 31's are now listed on Bachmann's site, but although they have the 6-pin DCC ready symbol the Blue Riband one is missing. This must be an oversight I am sure, as they are supposed to be a completely new model with directional lights as well as DCC ready. If they aren't being classed as Blue Riband when all other new ones with similar specs are it does make you wonder..........

Izzy

• 1 month later...

Archived