Class 47: 50 Years of Locomotive History

slilley

• RMweb Premium

There is a discussion going on regarding the possibility of a reprint as per the original book, given the ongoing demand. Also being looked at is a pictorial history of the 47s as a supplement to the the original volume.

Simon

I have the original so obviously wouldn't buy another. As to a pictorial supplement, there are already plenty of photo albums on Class 47s, so it would I think need to offer something different. A livery history with most if not all the depot variants could well work, but for me at least anything like that would have to be full colour or you really don't appreciate the different liveries. Nowadays I won't buy any photo albums using black and white photos.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the original so obviously wouldn't buy another. As to a pictorial supplement, there are already plenty of photo albums on Class 47s, so it would I think need to offer something different. A livery history with most if not all the depot variants could well work, but for me at least anything like that would have to be full colour or you really don't appreciate the different liveries. Nowadays I won't buy any photo albums using black and white photos.

Well thats useful to know. We have now a number of TTG colour pictures, but to illustrate some early points we may well have to use black and white. It will consist though of material not published previously and will be a supplement to the original book. There was so much we had to leave out as you can imagine.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

For those of you on here who did not obtain a copy of Class 47 50 Years of Locomotive History when it was published, a mint copy has come my way.

Before I put it up for auction on ebay, I am giving people on here an opportunity to bid for it first. It is one of the small number of copies that is signed by all three authors.

The original cover price was £29.95. Please private message me.

Best wishes

Simon

• 6 months later...
On 07/08/2020 at 15:39, slilley said:

For those of you on here who did not obtain a copy of Class 47 50 Years of Locomotive History when it was published, a mint copy has come my way.

Before I put it up for auction on ebay, I am giving people on here an opportunity to bid for it first. It is one of the small number of copies that is signed by all three authors.

The original cover price was £29.95. Please private message me.

Best wishes

Simon

Hi Simon, very much a long shot but I don't suppose this copy is still available by any chance?

I've only just come across this thread while I was searching for something else on the forum.

Thanks

On 22/02/2021 at 23:04, hexagon789 said:

Hi Simon, very much a long shot but I don't suppose this copy is still available by any chance?

I've only just come across this thread while I was searching for something else on the forum.

Thanks

Alas no sadly. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

Thanks anyway Simon, was worth a try! 

I'll find a copy one day!

I have been talking to Crecy who now own the rights to the Ian Allan back catalogue about a reprint. They were given a great deal of design work on CDs for various books, but whenI last spoke to them had yet to locate that for Class 47 50 Years of Locomotive History.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, slilley said:

I have been talking to Crecy who now own the rights to the Ian Allan back catalogue about a reprint. They were given a great deal of design work on CDs for various books, but whenI last spoke to them had yet to locate that for Class 47 50 Years of Locomotive History.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love a reprint to be made. 

I think it can be assured that the demand is there.

I hate to presume, but if they locate the CDs does that mean a reprint is possible/feasible?

Regards, Ben

49 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love a reprint to be made. 

I think it can be assured that the demand is there.

I hate to presume, but if they locate the CDs does that mean a reprint is possible/feasible?

Regards, Ben

Ben

It would mean that a reprint would be a possible yes. The choice would then be either a straight reprint, or an update with what has gone on over the last ten years since it was published, and anything else that has floated to the surface.

Simon

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, slilley said:

Ben

It would mean that a reprint would be a possible yes. The choice would then be either a straight reprint, or an update with what has gone on over the last ten years since it was published, and anything else that has floated to the surface.

Simon

Just so long as all the great detailed information of the original was included an updated version would be just as welcome.

My greatest regret is skimming a bit if the book in the Waterstones branch in Ayr,  which still had a copy in February 2016, to see what it was like. I decided to think about it and the rest you can guess - I've never come across a copy since. I didn't realise at the time it had already been in print for over 3 years and was by that point already difficult to obtain.

I'm sure many people are in a similar situation.

Thanks for the information though, much appreciated.

On 28/02/2021 at 16:13, hexagon789 said:

Just so long as all the great detailed information of the original was included an updated version would be just as welcome.

My greatest regret is skimming a bit if the book in the Waterstones branch in Ayr,  which still had a copy in February 2016, to see what it was like. I decided to think about it and the rest you can guess - I've never come across a copy since. I didn't realise at the time it had already been in print for over 3 years and was by that point already difficult to obtain.

I'm sure many people are in a similar situation.

Thanks for the information though, much appreciated.

Ben

I think you can take it as read that any reprint would include the detail of the original.

Best wishes

Simon