Heljan 7mm Wagons

Kev_Lewis

BRM January 2016 has photograph of Cat DB993503 clearly based on http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brcatfishzev/e1904eea3when brand newly repainted in August 1977

and DB993608 ZFV DOGFISH which appears to be based on http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brdogfish/e837d084in June 1979. They also mention the axleboxes are removable, which means some swapping is possible and therefore extends the possibility of having accurate combination of number and bearings.

Paul

Does anyone have any prototype info on the Charringtons Class B tanks ?

And does anyone know of a source of transfers for the numbers for them ? Assuming they exist.

Thanks

John.

We'll be releasing transfer packs to give different running numbers for the batch of tanks just released by Lionheart, and could release similar packs for other POs if people are able to assist with the info.

We'll be releasing transfer packs to give different running numbers for the batch of tanks just released by Lionheart, and could release similar packs for other POs if people are able to assist with the info.

Thanks Steve,

The only pictures I've got are in the new Daid Larkin book ' Non-pool freight stock 1948-1968, vol 1 ' Kestrel books. Page 43 has two pictures, one each of the two Versons of the 'Charrington' name board as on the Heljan models. Sadly the book is B/W so the colour is conjecture, both wagons are rather dirty and the numbers seem to be in different styles ! 201 and 248. 248 has the style with the black line going top to bottom through the middle. End numbers on the tanks seem missing, apart from a 'Danger overhead live wire' plate on the side that seems to be it.

Paul Bartlett whilst not having photos of the 35T ( as far as I can see) does have photos in colour of the later wagons with the same style of number as 248 ( black line through the number ) which appear to be white. I'd just go with those numbers as a best bet.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/charringtonstta

Hope this helps

John

• 1 month later...

Here are a couple of photos of a catfish seen from above which may be of use to anyone wanting to weather their wagons. The wagon is in a very faded dutch livery, seen from the road above Kingswear station 9/3/2016. 

post-7081-0-91440700-1457975584_thumb.jpg

Platform end

post-7081-0-07870000-1457975592_thumb.jpg

Vacuum cylinder end

cheers

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what's the best way of removing the wagon numbers on the Heljan 7mm VAA vans so they can acquire Railtec Transfers with individual identities?? Can anyone advise???

Rich

• 3 years later...

Not sure if I am alone with this problem but I have a few 0 gauge class B tankers and one is missing the little suspension spring between the axlebox and the chassis. I have tried Howes who have said they can't help as Heljan never supplied them as a spare, has anyone else had the same problem? Going to try and make a replacement as plan B but plan C is to glue the axle boxes on that axle in position and rely on compensation from the other end of the wagon only. Thanks 

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I’m planning to build a BR 22t vac-braked creosote tank (35tGLW). These were very similar to the class B tanks (as made by Heljan) but with a longer tank. However, the tank wasn’t quite as long as the class A tank. 

I see that the Heljan tanks are occasionally available on ebay, so I could fo a conversion of one of them. 

Can anyone with a Heljan class B tank tell me how easily it would come apart. For example, is the tank easily separated from the chassis? How are the ladders and catwalks fixed in place? 

My alternative is an MMP kit, available in class A or B variants but not the intermediate length of the creosote tank so it would still have to be a conversion. I was keen on that approach until I saw quite how many zillion bits were in the brake gear! 

Any info welcome!

cheers,

Mol

14 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

I’m planning to build a BR 22t vac-braked creosote tank (35tGLW). These were very similar to the class B tanks (as made by Heljan) but with a longer tank. However, the tank wasn’t quite as long as the class A tank. 

I see that the Heljan tanks are occasionally available on ebay, so I could fo a conversion of one of them. 

Can anyone with a Heljan class B tank tell me how easily it would come apart. For example, is the tank easily separated from the chassis? How are the ladders and catwalks fixed in place? 

My alternative is an MMP kit, available in class A or B variants but not the intermediate length of the creosote tank so it would still have to be a conversion. I was keen on that approach until I saw quite how many zillion bits were in the brake gear! 

Any info welcome!

cheers,

Mol

I will have a look at mine later and let you know.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Any info welcome!

cheers,

Mol

Just had a quick look when the kettle was boiling:

- There are 2 screws that secure the tank barrel to the chassis, you may need to pop the wheelsets out but that is easy enough

- The ladders seem to be clipped to the chassis at the bottom, not sure about the top of the tanks, I think that they are just clipped in but for obvious reasons I didn't want to try and pull them out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Just had a quick look when the kettle was boiling:

- There are 2 screws that secure the tank barrel to the chassis, you may need to pop the wheelsets out but that is easy enough

- The ladders seem to be clipped to the chassis at the bottom, not sure about the top of the tanks, I think that they are just clipped in but for obvious reasons I didn't want to try and pull them out.

Very many thanks for taking a look.

Sounds like the barrel should come off easily enough which is good.

I've also been in touch with David Parkins about modifying the barrel on his kits and that doesn't sound too hard either. Now I have a decision to make!

Thanks again for the info.

• Like 1