keyser Dukedog kit

Hi, all. A question of help really.

I recently purchased a complete partbuilt keyser dukedog kit for the bargain price of £5!!! I wasn't even going to bother until the lady selling it said the price!

The motor that is with it is the standard K's open sided one. But i've tested it and it isnt working. So, would anyone know of a suitable replacement motor and what type of mounting bracket would be needed??

Thanks in advance

Iain

I would replace it with a Mashima can motor, the size depends on the space between the cast firebox sides - possible a 1220, with a Highlevel gearbox, to which the motor is mounted (screwed).

Gordon A

Bristol

I will second what has been said about Mashima motors, top class. I have used Comet 1 & 2 stage gearboxes, Branchlines and Markits also do decent gear boxes. Not motor mounts.

As said if you are lucky the wheels will bo OK, but Romford/Markits or Gibson will be better

If you want to keep to an older style motor then K's Mk 2 are better than the HMP motors, Airfix also dis a motor like the Mk2 (Ashley Loco motor No 1002) known as the slimline which is 5 and not 3 pole

I will second what has been said about Mashima motors, top class. I have used Comet 1 & 2 stage gearboxes, Branchlines and Markits also do decent gear boxes. Not motor mounts.

As said if you are lucky the wheels will bo OK, but Romford/Markits or Gibson will be better

If you want to keep to an older style motor then K's Mk 2 are better than the HMP motors, Airfix also dis a motor like the Mk2 (Ashley Loco motor No 1002) known as the slimline which is 5 and not 3 pole

John,

technically a gearbox has it's own bearings for the worm shaft as well as the gear (axle) shaft. Examples are the Gibson, Sharman and Exactoscale ones. They can therefore be mounted remotely from the motor, driven through a univeral joint, etc.

Motormounts rely on the motor bearings and shaft to carry the worm, so High Level, London Road, Comet, Branchlines and Markits versions all fall in that category, although several of the manufacturers describe theirs, incorrectly in my view, as gearboxes.

Jol

Archived