Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Tom Clift ex-MD Valley Lines, Grand Central, Class 26 owner, R.I.P

'CHARD

It was with shock and great sadness that I yesterday learned of the passing of a great figure in the railway movement, Tom Clift. He will be remembered by many in the operating side of the industry and the hobby side of the railway scene too, with fondness I'm sure.

The first mention I came across in the media was this from my chum the Fact Compiler,

http://railwayeye.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/tom-clift-rip-passenger-champion.html

God Bless you Tom. Our thoughts are with your family and close associates at this terribly sad time.

• RMweb Gold

Tom was a great bloke and - for those who might not have looked - the man who took the pic which appears as my avatar.

I'm not sure if anything has appeared elsewhere on here but I have some information about the funeral arrangements should anyone else be interested - the funeral will take place in Caerphilly on 24 September followed by a private cremation.

• RMweb Gold

A very sad loss indeed and far too young at that. He was actually my boss for a short while in the 1980s, but our paths continued to cross from time to time over the years, and the most recent occasion I saw him was in connection with the public viaduct walk over Knucklas Viaduct last year, when he organised the show on behalf of the Heart of Wales Line Association.

May he Rest In Peace, we have just lost another thoroughly decent, old-fashioned, professional railwayman.

Archived