Ffrwd Locks. BR WR North Wales, near Wrexham. C1952

Ruffnut Thorston

Introduction

Ffrwd Locks. (To be set around 1952-1953)

This layout is based on fact. The GWR had a line from Wrexham, up the Moss Valley to the Ffrwd Ironworks (also served by the LNER).

Ffrwd is a small village or hamlet North West of Wrexham, near Cefn-y-bedd.
The area was very industrial, with coal mines, brick works, iron works and quarries.

A canal (The Ellesmere Canal) was planned to run from a place on the River Mersey near Whitby, to near Shrewsbury on the River Severn. This canal would pass through Chester, pass very near to Wrexham (at Poolmouth), and pass by the industrial areas around Ruabon on its way south. A branch was to run from Poolmouth to a large reservoir at Coed Talon, via a flight of locks at Ffrwd.

This canal was not built as planned, largely due to the inflation in the economy after the Napolionic wars causing construction costs to increase substantially. What was built is now known as the Llangollen Canal, and part of the Shropshire Union Canal. (The place near Whitby is now known as Ellesmere Port.) A part of the branch was also built at Ffrwd, and remains can be found, despite part of the canal being built over by a railway, which is now also derelict and lifted. (The Great Central Railway Westminster Colliery Branch, which also served Ffrwd Ironworks.)

This is the inspiration for the Ffrwd Locks model railway.

FFRWD AREA MAP 1REAL LIFE HISTORY.

FFRWD_AREA_MAP_REAL_LIFE_HISTORY_1.jpg

For the purpose of the model, it is assumed that the Ellesmere Canal was completed as planned, and the settlement at Ffrwd grew large enough to warrant a passenger service (the GWR lines in the Moss Valley only had a passenger service as far up as Moss Crossing.) I have called the station Ffrwd Locks, inspired by  the station at Ellesmere Port which was originally known as Whitby Locks.

The Ironworks prospered (instead of Brymbo Works, and other industry has also had its lifetime extended into the early 1950s.

The GWR Moss valley line was extended to Coed Talon (Instead of the Brymbo Line) and was a joint line with the LMS from Ffrwd Locks Station (Instead of Brymbo) to Coed Talon.

So, the line from Wrexham (using the line of a former tramway) comes in under the LNER Mineral Railway bridge and the adjacent canal aqueduct into the station. The Coed Talon line leaves over the level crossing and head Northwards. There is a branch to Ffrwd Ironworks (Freight only) which leaves alongside the line from Wrexham, but soon curves sharply to the "left" and climbs to cross the canal on a swing bridge, and so into the works. There is a junction with the LNER branch here.

The Level crossing and the aqueduct/LNER bridge are the "scenic breaks".

FFRWD AREA MAP 2 FICTIONAL.

FFRWDAREAMAP2_FICTIONAL.jpg

This model has had a long existence, the first Ffrwd Locks was a collection of Superquick card models, but a permanent baseboard, etc. never happened. A batch of Ratio plastic kits was acquired, but except for reading the instructions, remained in their boxes until early 2008.

Original Track Plan. Ffrwd Locks.

FFRWD_LOCKS_PLAN_V1.jpg

The current model has a board made from two pieces of plywood (about 6mm) on a softwood frame, with another piece of ply under the joint. The backscene boards are also plywood, as is the box which covers the model (A front and a lid.). All timber was recycled.

Cork has been stuck to the plywood (both Tiles and the Hornby Cork Roll.) The track has been laid using Gaugemaster Ballasted Underlay, and is all second hand Peco Streamline, with a mixture of live and insulfrog points. More ballast has been added using PVA glue, mainly between the underlay to fill in the gap.

DCP01102.jpg

Most buildings are Ratio and Wills kits, most from the batch that I had acquired earlier. Most have some modifications, to make them a bit different.
The station platform is softwood faced with Wills brick sheet, and surfaced with fine wet and dry (Tarmac areas) and Metcalfe paving slabs. The station building is on a base made from scribed 1mm plastic card. Fencing is Ratio Spear fencing. Name boards are by Coopercraft.

DCP00955.jpg

The coal bunkers are built from separate sleepers, and were made some time ago. I think they may be SMP parts.

DCP12054.jpg

The Aqueduct carrying the canal over the road and railway is made from corn flake packets, and is based on part of the Pontcysllte Aqueduct, on what is now known as the “Llangollen Canal “ at Trefor.

DCP00938.jpg

DCP00984.jpg

Some of the groundworks are corn flake packet card and more softwood strips.

What little greenery has appeared so far is Lichen, and various scatters, and PVA glue.

Rolling stock is mainly second hand, and the small collection from the first Ffrwd. Mainly GWR motive power, but with a J72 from the LNER (connection at Ffrwd Works with the LNER), and a 3f tank from the LMS (For model purposes, a joint GWR and LMS line runs from Ffrwd to Coed Talon, but at the moment is out of use. The line to Coed Talon is "out of use" as there isn't enough room on the allocated board!)
GWR locos include 45XX tanks, 2721 Pannier tank, 57XX Pannier tanks, Dean Goods and Collet Goods 0-6-0 tender locos.
There is a collection of coaches, including B sets and an Autocoach, and a selection of wagons.

The model is still under construction, progress is slowed at present by the overhaul of several Hornby Dublo and Tri-ang locos and stock, etc, for our other railway (Which has no board as yet!)

UPDATE June 2011: A Home move has happened. The model will be re-located "soon", and then I can get at it and do some much needed work.

UPDATE Feb 2012: Ffrwd has been re-located. Work is being carried on.

The setting will be changed to 1952-1953, as the Royal Mail stuff I have is marked EIIR...

UPDATE DECEMBER 2017....photos are being replaced! This may take some time.... ;)

This incarnation of Ffrwd Locks may have to be re-built to fit the current location.....

UPDATE JUNE 2018...photos are being replaced! Again!!! (Due to a hosting site changing the links without warning or asking! ) This may take some more time.... ;)

UPDATE OCTOBER 2020...Some photos are being replaced due to Photobucket mucking things about! 

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Photo replacement underway...
  • Like 1

UNDER CONSTRUCTION Part 1

The Station Building and canopy are modified Ratio.(The "Castle Cary" kit.)

Some of the most noticeable changes are the Slate Roof (Wills sheets) and around the Road Side the "Extension" was not fitted, and a small canopy made using the flat roof from the "Extension".

The Slate hung gables are also Wills slate sheets
The building is painted in GWR colours, and to resemble sandstone. (I am assuming the station was re-painted in the late 1940s, just before Nationalisation.)

The Main Canopy supports were made from plastic tube and strip.

As supplied, there is no visible means of support for the main canopy at the Booking Office end. You will notice how many on peoples layouts have a sagging canopy!
The kit is "based" on Castle Cary, but the Castle Cary Canopy has supports built into the building, a quite common arrangement. The Ratio Canopy has been designed so that it can be sold as a stand alone item, with different supports. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Castle_Cary_railway_station_-_platform_1_-_01.jpg )

Ffrwd Locks Station Building. Platform side...

DCP00876.jpg

Station Canopy (supports not painted yet.)

Ffrwd-Canopy-1.png

The Station Building is to be mounted (just placed in position in these pics) on a paved area, this has been made by scribing slabs onto 1mm Plastic card (Evergreen), and painting, first with GWR Dark Stone, then acrylic Green/Grey, Neutral Grey, Black (wiped over with a rag) and Matt Varnish (Old Humbrol.) (Sandstone slabs.)

The dimensions for the platform edging and surfacing slabs came from "Great Western Way", a HMRS publication covering all sorts of details, livery notes ,etc. from the GWR. (My main source.)

I have been producing poster boards for the model. Based in part on Tiny Signs. These are printed on a Computer Printer, on Photo Paper, and given a coat of matt varnish...(The Phone Box is by Merit.) Note that the "extension" of the Castle Cary building has been changed to a flat wall by using the "front" wall and filling the gaps for the corner stones with Milliput filler, scribed for stonework. I used the "extension" roof for the canopy. Most of the canopy valencing is part of a Wills Garage kit (The two garages-joined together kit, made without the two internal walls which went into the bits box!) Brackets and supports are from plastic strip and tube. The Station Nameplate is from the Cooper Craft GWR Signal Box Nameplate kit (This contains plenty of spare parts.)

I fitted a cut down skylight to the booking hall, as otherwise there are no windows to this part of the building. Also the booking hall doors have been converted to double doors (Thin ones!) to make it easier to get through with luggage.

The Road Side before the Post Box was added.

Ffrwd-Station-Road-Side-1.jpg

From above...

FS-and-canopy-above-1.jpg

Waiting for a bus?

DCP00886.jpg

A Classix Austin Devon Taxi outside the station.

Ffrwd-Taxi-1.jpg

An Early photo of some Rolling Stock.

Hornby GWR 2721 0-6-0 PannierTank. (repainted and re lettered British Railways in GWR style lettering and other details.) Airfix B Set coach. Superquick Signal Box and Ratio Telegraph Pole. Photo taken in Black & White mode. (From Ffrwd MK 1)

WR-Train-BW-1.jpg

Photo replacement in progress...
  • Like 13

UNDER CONSTRUCTION Part 2

April 2008

I have found time to test-lay the track on the station board.

This involved cutting the second hand Peco Streamline flexible track to size, and fitting fishplates.

I have used a set of Xuron track cutters. They are OK, but don't expect a "fishplate ready" cut every time. A lot less hassle than a hacksaw though!

Next work on the board will be fixing down the cork roll (Hornby). I did want cork tiles, as they are already flat, but couldn't find any. (B&Q, Wickes, etc. had none. Out of fashion it seems. :roll: )

A few photos taken during clearance testing.

DCP00875.jpg

The platform is an old Superquick kit, made many moons ago, and not the finished platform.

Station signs are from the printer on photo paper, and a coating of matt varnish. Again based on a pack from Tiny Signs, but they did not include the "Booking Hall & Way Out" and " Waiting Room & Ladies" signs, so I had to make some up.

DCP00883.jpg

Benches are Cooper Craft GWR Station Bench Kits...

DCP00877.jpg

The Lamps under the canopy and on the gable end by the Gents are from Ratio Swan Neck lamp kits.

Ffrwd-Locks-Stn-Building-6.jpg

People are from Slaters/Merit (Now PECO.) (Merit figures seem to be the same as Slaters (only painted!), as I found when I bought the figures a "few" years ago.

Bachmann 45XX (This is to be re-painted into GWR Green eventually.) running in.

DCP00880.jpg

With added steam and smoke effects...

EXHAUST1.jpg

The "Frosted" window effect is from Plastic Solvent dabbed on. (On purpose.)

Ffrwd-Locks-Stn-Building-12.jpg

View from above. (Old Triang 12Volt controller.)

DCP00874.jpg

Following a tip from a fellow modeller, I have checked out Wickes in Chester...I now have some cork tiles!

I have just been cutting and sticking the cork roll and some bits of tile to the station board.

I have acquired some Gaugemaster Ballast underlay. I'm thinking of using this for the "main" lines, at least. I'll see how far a roll goes.

I'm now torn between making a representation of Trap Points, or buying the Peco ones. C £7.00 (at the time...) for something that de-rails errant stock?

I have started building the Signal Box, Ratio again. I have a detailing kit, levers, etc., and have so far cut the hole in the floor and fitted the quadrants.

The plank detail on the floor will have to go, Brown linoleum flooring should be there!

Last month's Railway Modeller (March 2008?) had an article on a modified Ratio Box. I am thinking of using some ideas from that. (I don't need to knock two together, as in another layout featured...)

Stock is mounting up. I am thinking of building a continuous run on a "portable" (i.e. not fixed down, and probably stored on end) board. This will give the locos room to stretch their "legs".

One big tip for realistic photos is...take the photos out doors if possible, or use natural daylight, i.e. a window, possibly an open window.

In light of the experience using Hornby cork roll, I'd use cork tiles!

As it is rolled, the Hornby stuff takes a lot of sticking down. Weights are essential, just to cut it to size, as it keeps trying to roll up again.

It MAY be possible to Iron it flat....but tiles are already flat!

Anyway, the cork is stuck down, and the first bits of track including one point are down.

The Gaugemaster ballast underlay shed a bit, so have a container and something to pick the bits up. (Useful for filling in later.)

Following the instructions on the box, I cut a strip up for the point, and glued it onto the sleepers. It actually works OK! (Don't forget to allow for the tie bar and a clearance hole for the drive pin if you are using under baseboard mechanisms for the points.)

It looks OK, and that's as supplied on a bare cork board! After painting, and with the landscaping done, it should look very good.

Some Early photos of some rolling stock. (Not on the present layout, From Ffrwd Mk1.)

Mainline Collett Goods...

Collett-Goods-1-1.jpg

Hornby "Jinty" and Bachmann J72...

JINTY-and-J72-1.jpg

I have been busy on the layout.

All track on the Station Board has now been laid. The 5 metre Gaugemaster ballast roll did the lot, with about 5-6 inches left!.

More cork tiles have been used to bring the "ground" up a bit, as the ballast is a bit thick/high.

I was going to go the "traditional" ballasting route, and so already had the cork done.
On impulse while in Modelzone I decided to get some ballast on a roll, to see if it would be OK for the "other" layout.

(Note to self. Next time, lay the track on the board, then cork around it. Would save a layer of cork.)

Loose ballast is being used on the ground, and to fill in any gaps.

The Coal "Staithes"/ bunkers are in place, as is some "spilled" coal (Shot blasting compound.).

The Permanent Way stores wagon (A Grounded Ratio GWR Iron Mink body.) is also in place, along with a short bit of track for the PW trolley (when I get/make one...)

The platform is coming together, clearance tests with a 45XX meant that the coping stones at the "down" end had to be "crowbarred" a bit to avoid the front footplate hitting them.

The foundation of the platform is wood strip. The front wall is from Wills Plastic brick card.
The coping stones have been made from 1mm Plastic card.
The Up (Towards Wrexham) end slope has been paved with Metcalfe paving stones, and the platform surface is fine wet & dry abrasive (used dry!). The Station building (and it's bit of platform surface, etc.) is removable.

The Down (Towards Coed Talon) end of the platform will have the water tower/crane on/in it. This is a Ratio kit, that will need building first.

Also, I need to build a goods shed. I am thinking of something along the lines of the Peco N gauge shed kit, but a bit bigger, both in scale and size.

Photos..

Deans Goods (Mainline), van and Brake (Mainline).

DCP00899.jpg

Water tower/crane (Ratio) under construction. (Now to be ground mounted, as it looked too tall on the Down end of the platform.)

DCP00894.jpg

The base of the signal box (Ratio) can be seen. I'm still not sure where it is going. It should go where it is in the photos, but is a bit near the edge of the world...

DCP00902.jpg

The coal staithes were made a while ago (I made up some Superquick, etc. buildings and had some stock, but never built a fixed layout, until now!). They were made from individual sleepers meant for "build it yourself" track. (SMP I think, from a model shop in Bedford (Bedfordshire). I have also used these under the grounded wagon (P.Way stores), and a coal bunker for the signal box.

Coal was something like cork, topped up with Shot Blasting Compound.

Today I started painting the track. Dark Rust and Sleeper Grime (Railmatch).

Alex has found a good supply of glue. PVA 500g £1.00. UHU 125ml £1.00 Super glue, multi-packs 3 X 10g £1.00. All from Poundland, one of the "Pound Shop" chains.

I have been working on the Signal Box.
Funnily enough, I had fitted 14 lever quadrants from the Wills Finecast interior kit, I thought I had squeezed more levers in than in Highley 'Box.
I then found out that Highley 'Box has 14 levers in fact.

I have more or less finished the "cabin" part, windows in, nameplate (Cooper Craft kit) attached, a coat of GWR paint. The provided interior prints have been fitted, with a little modification to have a chimney breast for the stove. (I need to paint the Brick bit outside...)

On the "base"The floor has received a "lino" floor (painted paper), a foot plank (plastic card), and the armchair, train register desk and coalbox from the Wills kit have been fitted against the back wall. (I need to make two token apparatus, and the cupboards on which they sit. It is getting quite "cosy" in the 'box! Just as well the station cat doesn't go into the 'box very often. )

The real "Highley" 'box has no visible outlet for the point rodding/signal wires, as this goes under the road. As there is insufficient "depth" in the brickwork to cut an outlet slot, I have fabricated a "plinth" using the Wills brick sheets, and attatched this to the base, covering 2 courses of the bricks. As the plinth is 5 courses high, that gives me an outlet slot about 3 bricks high. There is a mis-match in the brick size and bonding (not to mention colour), but it should blend in after painting...

Still to do on the 'box. Paint the brickwork. Fit the levers. Make and fit the instrument shelf, fit the instruments (Wills kit again), make and fit the track diagram, make the roof (removable I think...), fit it all together, etc.

• Like 2

Part Three.

May 2008

A few photos of the Signal Box.

DCP00913.jpg

DCP00914.jpg

DCP00912.jpg

DCP00916.jpg

DCP00917.jpg

DCP00918.jpg

The 'box is the Ratio "Highley" kit with a few mods.

DCP11542.jpg

The Real Highley Box has the rodding tunnel under the ground as it exits the locking room (Under a road.). So there is no "exit" for the rodding above ground.

http://www.highleystation.co.uk/

The wall below the windows is not really tall enough to cut a hole in for the rodding.

I used Wills Brick sheets to make a plinth around the base of the locking room. It is simply glued on top of the existing walls. This makes the box a little taller (a bit less than 1cm in my case.)

The locking room door frame was modified to give it a window over the door to take up the excess height. The kit door was used.

I didn't lengthen the stairs (probably the best option). I was thinking of having the box against the platform ramp, so that the stairs would land part way up the ramp. In the end I have made some "concrete" (Plastic Card Painted) steps to make up the excess height. (There is bound to be a "prototype" example out there!)

The levers/quadrants/wire tensioners/signalman/chair/train register desk/coal box/clock/telephone/block bells and instruments are from the Wills Finecast interior kit. (which includes more levers and quadrants, block bells and instruments, wire tensioners and a shelf for the block bells etc.)

The track diagram, and the block shelf and supports are from plasticard.

I have painted the "backscene" plywood with Quick drying primer/undercoat, and Dulux "First Dawn" (test pot) which is a sort of sky blue.

The aqueduct is under construction. This is based on a span of the Pontcysllte Aqueduct near Llangollen (in Trefor). Materials used so far are "conflake packet" card, plastic strip, UHU glue and various paints.

Photos.

Overview. (The dark objects in the "4 foot" are Peco Tension Lock uncoupling ramps.)

DCP00923.jpg

The aqueduct with "water" and towpath, (unpainted) but not the railings (Which will be slightly modified Ratio "spear" fencing...)

DCP00924.jpg

View from the platform...

DCP00925.jpg

And another...

DCP00938.jpg

Tonight's work has been painting track, the water, towpath, piers, and just about all of the aqueduct. Also a bit of scenery building...putting in the ground behind the station.(It is as well that I like breakfast cereal!)

• Like 6

Part Four.

June 2008

Photos...

The Crosville Rail Replacement service to Coed Talon and Rhyl (!) waits...(EFE Leyland PD2)

DCP00945.jpg

DCP00939.jpg

DCP00946.jpg

At last the windows are in the Signal Box locking room.

DCP00943.jpg

DCP00944.jpg

First greenery...

DCP00947.jpg

Lamp Hut (Wills Kit) etc...

DCP00956.jpg

Signal Box and coal bunker...

DCP00948.jpg

Station Nameboards (Cooper Craft Kits) (Not Finished...)

DCP00955.jpg

DCP00958-01-07-97.jpg

The Loco Posed for this photo.

DCP00986.jpg

The Handrails are mounted on the aqueduct...

DCP00984.jpg

The Signal Box again. The Retaining wall (For the canal embankment.)with bushes behind. Spot the British Waterways van...

DCP00985.jpg

A Station name board (completed) and fencing now added...

DCP00991.jpg

The Wills garage. I'm not too sure just where this will fit. I made it some time ago...(For Ffrwd Locks MK1.)

DCP00990.jpg

The "unfinished-work in progress" end...

DCP00989.jpg

Prairie tank leaving for Croes Newydd Shed (84J).

DCP00992.jpg

• Like 5

Part Five

July 2008

The Goods Shed

The Shed is from from the Wills Goods Yard Store kit. The Platform is built from Wills brick plastic sheet. The Crane is the Wills Yard Crane (with "not included" chain, and a missing hook!). The Canopies are made from plastic strip, covered with corn flake card. The Door in the end of the shed is made from plastic strip and plastic card. The Window at the North end has been enlarged to take a larger window, which was included in the kit (which seems to contains parts from the Wills Signal Box kit!)

Photos...

DCP01048.jpg

DCP01049.jpg

DCP01056.jpg

DCP01057.jpg

DCP01060.jpg

The Cottages are from the Metcalfe Railway worker cottages kit. (Midland Railway Settle & Carlisle pattern.) Metcalfe cobbles for the yards, and cornflake card and platic strip fences and gates. Plastic rod downpipes.

The Goods yard office is from Ratio, (with no modifications) The Water Tower is from Ratio.

Overview...

Testing Signal sighting...

Ratio Kit bracket signal, non operational.

64844617-E5E8-4F2F-9A3F-9C397D8EF626.jpeg.8082825077e51c6bcb0ae290d2730e5e.jpeg

The Railway Cottages...

DCP01055.jpg

The Concrete fence is from the Ratio Station Building kit.(It was the Screen for the Gents Door.) (This has been used as the Water Crane makes this area a bit wet, and a wooden fence would soon rot!)

DCP01058.jpg

The Bikes are from the Wills cycle shed kit. (Modification? I cut off the rack so I can have more than two "loose" bikes!)

DCP01061.jpg

Bachmann Prairie shunting... (It's not easy to see...but the bike in view has been modified to a "Ladies Frame", crossbar removed, and new diagonal "tube" from plastic rod...)

DCP01062.jpg

The washing on the line (and the figure.) is from a Presier (Set 50? "Made in the Federal Republic of Germany") set I have had for ages. It includes a moulded line, so I removed the washing, and hung it on cotton. I'll be putting more from the set in the other yard...

DCP01093.jpg

Photos...

Overview from the "South", Aqueduct end.

454EF0B9-6C28-416F-9B64-7BCFE735F3E9.jpeg.8a79779bc4929797c2c5aa63f41c40ca.jpeg

Brand new Fordson tractor being delivered from Dagenham.

(Oxford Dicast Tractor on an Airfix RTR Lowmac. The crate load was extremely well glued on!

(I have had to use Milliput to fill in the bits of wagon the crate took with it. Be Warned!)

DCP01285.jpg

The North end running in board from the goods yard.

(Wills yard crane on the platform at the South end of the goods shed. (Modified Wills Goods Yard Store.)

DCP01070-19-07-07.jpg

The Parcels shed and station building from the South.

(A Wills Pagoda shed kit, with the modified Ratio building and canopy.)

DCP01075.jpg

Bachmann Prairie "resting".

DCP01152.jpg

Today I have been putting the fences and gates (Ratio) on the cattle dock. Also "concreting" (Conflake packet again!) the track for the dock.

I have also painted up some Merit gas lamps, and planted a few. The water tower has got a bit dirtier too.

Photos...

A Cattle wagon in the dock.

The Concrete fencing and wooden gates are by Ratio (the separate set, as used in the Ratio cattle dock kit.), The railings are made with Slaters (second hand) plastic rods.

The Concrete pad is made from Card painted concrete and "dirtied", the check rails are made from from plastic strip painted rust.

7FEBD157-09C0-43FA-9F44-78739FAF441B.jpeg.414166c45381d5bd8bbcc7b12264fef7.jpeg

Railway Cottages and part of the Level Crossing.

(From a Wills kit.). (Peco buffer stop. Ratio kit bracket signal (non operational).

DCP01081.jpg

The coal merchants (D.D. Sylvester.)hut is now in final position.

Mr. Sylvester is in residence? (A Ratio Hut from the "Two Huts" kit. The base has been changed from stone to brick finish by scribing.)

DCP01087-19-07-07.jpg

Today I have finished off the Water Tower, put the washing line up in No. 2 Railway Cottages, added the remaining Presier figures, etc., added a bit of lichen bushes behind the north end platform ramp fence (in the horse field.), planted a lamp post, and a few other fiddly bits. (Then I got the camera out for a few quick shots...)

The "other" yard at Railway Cottages.  (More from that Presier set...)

DCP01092.jpg

A Goods train from Croes Newydd yard arriving. (Oops...someone send for the brakedown gang!)

DCP01096.jpg

"From the station came the sound of shunting trains, ringing and rumbling, softened almost into melody by the distance."

DCP01102.jpg

• Like 4

Part 6

August 2008

I have to admit that the Gaugemaster/Noch ballasted underlay is worth the expense and fiddling to get it to fit (or nearly fit...) points. It looks good, especially after painting "sleeper grime" over everything. The only downside seems to be that the points are too flexibly mounted to use the Ratio "string and spring system". I have for now abandoned this method, and will possibly use bike spokes (or even peco motors!).

With the fences, it is a matter of what I have in stock. Some Peco Flexible Field Fencing for the bit that goes up and down, some Ratio 4-bar (GWR Style) lineside fencing that is similar to the Peco for the flat bits. I bought in the Ratio Spear fencing, as I liked the look, and it made brilliant Aqueduct hand-rails with very little modification. The bits of Ratio GWR wooden station fencing are from stock (From Ffrwd MK1).

The tall wooden fences for the cottages are cornflake card and plastic strip, and are made on the high side for a little privacy from passing trains, etc.

The Water Tower is the Ratio Ref, 528 (OO) 230 (N) GWR Conical Water Tower kit with the optional flat top fitted.

The Aqueduct is basically a model of one span of the Pontcysllte Aqueduct at Trefor, Near Llangollen. Design by Jessop or Telford, depending on the historian.

Photos...

First Tree (Britains Silver Birch with Wodland Scenics foilage.

DCP01153.jpg

Peco Backscene test.

DCP01156.jpg

Peco Backscene test 2.

DCP01157.jpg

The backscene is "in work". I have some Peco sheets, the Market Town is a bit modern (Transit Bus for example!). I am thinking of "editing" it to make it more 1950s, or may yet end up using the Peco sheets as "models" for some home brew. I'll probably end up doing both, when I find time.

There is a need for more trees etc... I have the bits in stock...

• Like 1

Part 7

September 2008

As it has been 'orible weather again, I have had a go at the backscene, DIY acrylics, all at once....

DCP01283.jpg

Then without flash (dull rainy day today!)

DCP01284.jpg

Then from the track, without flash again.

DCP01285.jpg

Alex says that the trees above the aqueduct don't look right, as there does not seem to be anywhere for the "roots". I am tending to agree...

Generally looks to have promise I think.

It has been agreed. The trees will go. I will probably be painting the backscene on paper (Lining Paper from Wilkos!) and sticking it to the back boards. This will cover up them pesky trees!

Mainly small mountains, or Welsh hills. I am not going to be able to get any photos of the real scenery, so it will be a bit "generic", a bit like the Peco "Mountain" backgounds.

I will have to sort out the paper first, and then start painting (I need more paint now.). This will take time!

To an extent it depends on the weather...

• Like 1

Part 8

November 2008

Well, it has been a while since I did anything to the layout, too busy with "other things".

Just a couple of photos, as I had the "lid" off to take a couple of pics of a DMU I am selling off (Wrong colour...), and a new 109" Series 1 Land Rover.

Flash Photography I'm afraid....

A 3-Car DMU at Ffrwd Locks.

DCP01835.jpg

DCP01836.jpg

Replacement photos....
  • Like 1

Part 9

January 2009

Some photos of my latest arrivals.

A Hornby-Dublo 2-Rail Stanier 8f and some rolling stock.

DCP02180.jpg

The Breakdown Train...

DCP02181.jpg

DCP02182.jpg

DCP02183.jpg

DCP02184.jpg

DCP02185.jpg

Hornby Dublo made four versions of the 8f, two 2-rail and two 3-rail. The first two were fitted with the 1/2 " Motor (Very similar to an X.04 Tri-ang motor but, typically for Meccano Limited, robustly engineered.).

48158 was the 3-rail version (With pick up plungers in the tender) which was made 1958-1961.

48109 was the 2-rail version (With wiper pick ups on the loco.) which was made 1959-1960.

The second batch were fitted with the 5/8" "Ringfield" motor.

48094 was the 3-rail version (With pick up plungers in the tender) which was made1961-1964.

48073 was the 2-rail version (With wiper pick ups on the loco.) which was made 1960-1964).

Plastic couplings came in in 1960, and later that year the 8f came fitted with a front coupling as standard.

I think all the Wrenn ones will be Ringfield motors, fitted with Tri-ang Type couplers (with provision to fit the Hornby Dublo PECO type, I believe.)

The loco is certainly heavy! (Even with the Die-cast body, Hornby Dublo fitted a lead weight in the boiler!)

The crane is a C1960 plastic couplers edition. I basically "swapped" it for a Hornby Railways 75 Ton crane. (I sold the Hornby Railways one and bought the Hornby Dublo one!) I have always wanted one!

The "tinplate" coaches are the "D14" Suburban Coaches, BR Maroon Brake Cat. No. 4022. The Maroon coaches date from C1958, and have Plastic Wheels and Axles (as a unit) fitted from new. A few items released in 1958 had the plastic wheels, in preparation for the "release" of the HD 2-Rail System in 1959.

I think that every piece of HD rolling stock (Not including Locos and tenders!) made from 1958 onwards had the plastic wheels, and were marketed as "for 3- and 2-Rail Running".

In 1960 the first Plastic Couplers appeared (on the "Super Detail" coaches, and were then made the Hornby Dublo standard, before being replaced by the thinner "Delrin" type right near the end of Hornby Dublo production C 1964. (It seems that two 2-rail locos with metal couplers could short circuit if coupled together cab to cab or chimney to chimney, even at the opposite ends of a train of Hornby Dublo metal coupler and framed stock! Plastic couplers stopped all that!)

I should add at this point that the Tri-ang Tension Lock Coupling on the Maroon Coach is fitted using a commercial coupling adaptor.

This adapter was a "Playcraft Railways" part. It was intended to allow the Playcraft PECO/Hornby Dublo type coupler to be swapped for a Tri-ang one.

PECO made parts (Coupler and wheels) to convert Tri-ang TO Hornby Dublo coupler and wheel standards. The parts I have date from after 1959 and the MKIII Tri-ang Coupling, though the parts seem to have been designed earlier, for the MKIIb "Open Loop" Tri-ang Coupling.

On the "Scale" front, I have been busy weathering and painting Goods Wagons today.

The track is mainly ballasted using Guagemaster (Made by Noch) ballasted underlay, which comes in "new" Gray, and some Ebay Woodland scenics medium (I think) "used" Brown loose ballast to fill in the gaps between tracks, etc. The whole thing has been painted (by brush!) with Railmatch paints "Sleeper Grime", and the rail sides painted with "Dark Rust" ( I got a box of assorted paints from Ebay). It is still not finished. There needs to be a bit more work on the track area, including a representation of signal wiring and point rodding.

Replacement photos
  • Like 1

Part 10

February 2009

I've been experimenting with painting some "flats" for the back scene....

DCP01944.jpg

DCP01943.jpg

DCP01945.jpg

I hope to re-house the layout "soon", and then I'll be able to resume work.

A Home move has resulted in the layout being in a shed. I hope it has survived OK. The cattle dock siding is made of steel rail, and may become a bit too realistic if it rusts! I am thinking that some restoration may be needed. I will only know when I open the box.

That reminds me, something about a cat in a box? It rings a bell (or is that Dogs? )

• Like 1

Part 11

October 2011

Ffrwd Locks has at last emerged from hibernation in the shed!

Some Midland Railway stock, Tri-ang 1960s and Hornby 1980s!

DCP11378.jpg

DCP11379.jpg

DCP11381.jpg

DCP11384.jpg

Hopefully I will be able to do a bit more with the model now....

And now for something completely different!

BR Blue Deltic and Class 37 on Mk2 Inter-City coaches!

DCP11388.jpg

DELTICffrwd2.jpg

DCP11390.jpg

DCP11391.jpg

DCP11393.jpg

This is some stock from our collection.

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 1

Part 12

November 2011

Well, I have been busy with the rolling stock.

There have been a few projects waiting for action. One has been a Bachmann J72. This came as the BR version, but after seeing a photo of an LNER loco in a book (I cannot remember which one now.), it has come out in well weathered wartime NE black. (The smokebox number plate has been carved away.)

The photo showed a loco in a worn condition. The wartime paint must have been of a lesser quality, as it had worn away, revealing the L N E R underneath the N E of the wartime re-paint.

(This is almost completed...)

Bachmann J72

DCP11549.jpg

DCP11561.jpg

DCP11548.jpg

DCP11547.jpg

At Dusk...

DCP11602.jpg

The Bogie Bolster A wagons are Hornby, and came new. They have been "got at" a bit, and some girder loads are being made. The Girders are a mixture of a Ratio "Load" pack, and some Evergreen Plastic Channel. All have been painted with "Oily Steel" or "Polished Steel", and a bit of "Light Rust", mainly along the edges, with a light brushing down the channels.

The loads are glued together, and will have some chains, but in a way that they are removable. (Empty wagons up the branch to the Ffrwd Ironworks, loaded back down and out to Croes Newedd Yard and away.

Bogie Bolster A wagons

DCP11558.jpg

DCP11559.jpg

On the building front, the fire-buckets are being sited, there are three on the Signal Box, and three on the Goods Shed (Along with a "No Smoking Allowed" sign) so far.

Fire-buckets

DCP11542.jpg

DCP11546.jpg

DCP11544.jpg

I have recently re-fitted the poster boards on the station. I did use thin plastic card as a backing for the Photo Printed Posters, but this warped from the UHU glue I used to stick them to the walls (You will see this in some of the photos, it happened slowly over time.) UHU solvent is quite potent, the front walls of the platform have bowed slightly. That is Wills Brick sheet, not exactly thin, glued to wood with UHU....

Tonight I finished fitting the station building fire buckets, and I have re-painted the platform paving slabs. They were a bit too black (It was meant to be dirty and sooty sandstone.).

I have re-positioned the goods shed, and re-surfaced the Goods Yard roadways.

The Railway Cottages now have chimney pots, and the wash houses have a chimney stack for the "coppers" or boilers.

Photos...

The Station Building. Re-applied Posters. Re-painted Platform surfaces and white line. Fire Buckets on the Gents entrance fence, and the Booking Office Window Sill. (The Fire Buckets are Springside white metal with modified hangers. There were two sets. Each was a frame with two cross bars with hooks, and 6 Fire Buckets. I have cut off the cross bars and stuck them to the walls on the station building (2) and signal box (1). The goods shed has some of the posts left on.(1))

DCP11628.jpg

DCP11641.jpg

The Post awaits a train....(Classix Mail Van. Wills sack truck and trolley. (P & D Marsh is the maker of the white metal GPO sacks and trolley. They came with a Porter figure. There is also one of their Midland Railway pattern Sack Trucks on the station. Now how did that get there from the MR?)

DCP11642.jpg

The Railway Cottages with Chimneys...(The "pots" are square section plastic tube from Evergreen, the Wash House stack is cardboard, covered in some brick paper that was a Free Gift from Model Rail some years ago. (I have used a bit at last! There is also a Regional Railways station building in the book!)

DCP11639.jpg

The Permanent Way Deptartments new Cooper Craft Trolleys...

DCP11645.jpg

The Re-located Goods Shed, and re-surfaced yard (and a BR lorry...) The shed is modified Wills (see earlier posts), the crane is Wills. The stone sets are Wills sheets on their second use (Hence the small sections being used up.) The Lorry is Classix, with the axle bent at the ends (a sort of "S" shape) to put some steering lock on the wheels. The axles have both been glued, and flats filed on the bottom of the tyres so that it looks "heavy".

DCP11630.jpg

DCP11635.jpg

DCP11634.jpg

DCP11636.jpg

The Crosville bus leaves..(EFE Leyland Titan)

DCP11643.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 3

Phew! You've been busy!

A lot of ground covered there, I think...

Although the Ratio station building was used on many layouts in the past

I like the touch with the "roof tiles" on the end wall

I've seen many prototype buildings in this style,

partucularly in North & Mid wales...

You rarely see this modelled - nice observation :)

And it has given you something a bit different...

Why not continue it over the whole wall?

I like the signal box, especially the interior

and the modification to the goods shed makes it a little different too

It seems I'm always attracted to a layout with a Welsh name....

That's what made me look...

Cheers

Marc

Edited by marc smith

Part 12 A (!)

February 2012

I have been busy with rolling stock lately.

A new Bachmann 3MT Standard Tank has joined the roster. Apart from crew fitting, nothing else has been done to this.

3mttankconflatsfitwrbrake1MOD.jpg

3mttankcab1.jpg

3mttankcab2.jpg

3mttankcab3.jpg

3mttankconflatsloadedfitwrbrake2MOD.jpg

Some Black and white pictures.(Some have had a little Photoshopping as well as BW ing.)

PannierandBogieBolstersNEbrake2MODs.jpg

NELOWFITETY1MODs.jpg

WRVAN1MODs.jpg

LMRVANFitted1MODs.jpg

NEGWRCONFATSloaded1MODs.jpg

GWCONFLATNELOWFITLoaded1MODs.jpg

WRBRAKEFitted2MODs.jpg

Some pictures of 2 Tri-ang 3MTs and the Bachmann version.

Tri-ang Railways R.59 2-6-2 3MT Tank C1956 (Cellulose Acetate Plastic) 1st edition. & the Bachmann version.

DCP12615.jpg

Tri-ang Hornby (Hornby Railways) R.59S 2-6-2 3MT Tank C1972 (Polystyrene Plastic) Last edition, with Synchrosmoke. & the Bachmann version.

DCP12616.jpg

DCP12627.jpg

Tri-ang Railways R.59 2-6-2 3MT Tank C1956 (Cellulose Acetate Plastic) 1st edition.

DCP12622.jpg

Tri-ang Hornby (Hornby Railways) R.59S 2-6-2 3MT Tank C1972 (Polystyrene Plastic) Last edition, with Synchrosmoke.

DCP12621.jpg

Bachmann 2-6-2 3MT Tank 31-975 Made 2009. Bought 2012.

DCP12620.jpg

The Tri-ang versions are "higher" (Tri-ang stock usually is a bit high, so as to cope with sudden gradients on "elevated" track.) and a bit longer overall, than the Bachmann.

Body detailing is not so bad for such an old "toy". The wheels are too small, but the alternative "Princess" wheels were too big!

I have actually bought some NEW rolling stock recently

Bachmann for Modelzone set of three weathered Iron Ore Hoppers. (With old Hornby Pannier and Mainline Short Wheel Base NE Brake Van.)

DCP12554MOD-1.jpg

DCP12555MOD-1.jpg

DCP12553MOD-1.jpg

Now I need a few more Ore Hoppers. BISC livery would be nice. (I think this was the British Iron and Steel Corporation? Later known as British Steel.)

Hornby "Van C" BR Carmine Livery (With old Hornby Pannier and Wrenn Fruit D Body on Hornby Dublo Chassis with Hornby Railways plastic wheel sets and Bachmann couplings on EAMES coupling converters(!))

DCP12557MOD-1.jpg

DCP12556MOD-1.jpg

DCP12558MOD-1.jpg

DCP12559MOD-1.jpg

Some light weathering is required on the Van C.

Some weathered stock. (Not new.)

1990s Bachmann (and one Replica) 16 Ton Mineral Wagons. The Bachmann Minerals started as brown Fitted stock. Re-painted, transfers and gunge. The Replica is an M prefix (Ex LMS) Grey, with added gunge. Hornby Pannier, 1990s Bachmann WR Grey Brake Van (With transfers and Gunge)

Pannierand3mineralwagonswrbrake1MOD.jpg

Panniermins2MOD.jpg

16TMins1MOD.jpg

Mins2MOD.jpg

Bachmann, Mainline, Dapol Goods Vans and Mainline NE Brake Van All weathered. One Mainline van (M Prefix number) was a PO livery, re-painted. All fitted wagons have had tie bars added across the axle boxes (To stop the brakes pushing the axles out of line!) from Evergreen plastic strip.

PannierandvansNEbrake1MOD.jpg

PannierVans1MOD.jpg

BRVANFIT1MOD.jpg

BRVANFIT1MODs.jpg

LMRVANFitted1MOD.jpg

LMRVANFitted1MODs.jpg

WRVAN1MOD.jpg

WRVAN1MODs.jpg

SRVanUnfitted1MOD.jpg

SRVanUnfitted1MODs.jpg

NEBRAKEVans1MOD.jpg

One Wagon. Airfix PO Open. Plus paint, transfers, and a little Photoshop.

DCP11566.jpg

POWagonGloucester2MOD.jpg

POWagonGloucester2MODs.jpg

At the moment, my "basic" weathering consists of "Roof Dirt" paint on the roof (usually a total coverage.), and on the sides. The sides are wiped "clean" vertically downwards using cotton buds or paper tissue (cotton buds can start to leave "hairs" so be watchful). How clean you wipe depends on how dirty the wagon needs to be.

The underframe is painted using "Frame Dirt" paint. A little of this can be wiped upwards along the bottom of the body.

Bright metal wheels get the "Frame Dirt", but keep the treads clean!

The small white "squares" on the solebars are meant to represent the Wagon Tickets, a small card square with details of the load, destination, consignee, etc.

On some wagons, the clips for these are moulded on, making the location far easier!

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 2

Part 15

May 2012

Some new Second-hand locos.

Bachmann LMS Ivatt 2-6-2 T (Needs weathering a bit, I have fitted a crew.) (Also, I need the detailing pack, it contains the cab steps!)

DCP13393.jpg

DCP13397.jpg

DCP13396.jpg

Bachmann Standard 4MT Tank. (A bit "late" for Ffrwd, but I have worked on a real one of these, and it will go with the Hornby Dublo and Wrenn versions....) Crew to sort out, and maybe a re-numbering.

DCP13411.jpg

DCP13414.jpg

DCP13422.jpg

The Hornby Dublo 4MT 2-6-4 Tank Loco, with the Bachmann version.

DCP13814.jpg

DCP13813.jpg

Hornby Dublo 3-Rail, and 2-Rail 4MT 2-6-4 Tank Locos, with the Bachmann version.

DCP13822.jpg

Hornby Terrier. ("Totally Wrong" for Ffrwd, but I also have worked on real Terriers, and I love them. I also have a Hornby Crimson and Cream Maunsell Brake Composite Coach and the Van C to go with the Terrier...) Crew fitted, Early Crest Transfers to fit later.

DCP13405.jpg

DCP13400.jpg

The GWR did inherit two Terriers when it purchased the the Weston Clevedon and Portishead Railway after it closed in 1940.

One worked at Taunton and Newton Abbott, before being stored then scrapped at Swindon in 1954. The other was condemned in 1948.

So, history could indeed be stretched....

http://www.colonelstephenssociety.co.uk/WCPLR%20Terrier.html

The railway was very interesting, and has been modelled. The rolling stock was quite varied. Also a part of Colonel Stephens empire.

A Short U Tube Video LINK

One Terrier from the Kent & East Sussex Railway, "BODIAM", was nationalised. It became BR Number 32670. That is the number on the Hornby Model from 2000 that I have!

Some more progress!

I have been working on the backscene, and have put the Early Crest Transfers on that Terrier...

Earlier greens...

DCP13455.jpg

DCP13453.jpg

DCP13452.jpg

DCP13451.jpg

DCP13451.jpg

Later Greens...

DCP13484.jpg

DCP13483.jpg

DCP13482.jpg

DCP13481.jpg

DCP13480.jpg

DCP13479.jpg

The Sun Setting...

DCP13476.jpg

DCP13475.jpg

DCP13474.jpg

I have a early Hornby Railways half cab Pannier Tank (2721 Class.) in GWR green with "BRITISH RAILWAYS" in GWR lettering on the side tanks.

(It seems that the last 2721 was withdrawn in about 1953. (They used some at Birkenhead Docks, fitted with a warning bell.)

DCP13808.jpg

DCP13812.jpg

(Alongside is the new Hornby "Railroad" edition, with more seperate handrails, and a better chassis.)

DCP13810.jpg

Some more new wagons have finally arrived.

Bachmann "Coal Trader" weatherd edition 3 pack.

BMWagonsCTW2BWMOD.jpg

BMWagonsCTW1BWNoiseDCP13488jpgMOD.jpg

Terrier posing...

EGBWMOD1DCP13454.jpg

TerierFfrwdMOD1BWDCP13476.jpg

DCP13486.jpg

TerierFfrwdMOD1DCP13476.jpg

and more...

DCP13489.jpg

DCP13488.jpg

DCP13487.jpg

DCP13486.jpg

DCP13485.jpg

BMWagonsCTW2BWMOD.jpg

• Like 1

Part 16

June 2012

Recently obtained for Ffrwd are these are Bachmann 16T Mineral wagons, all different doors, types, etc., including a M.O.T. (Ministry Of Transport) Slope sided, that's the bauxite one. (LMS type colour, not vacuum brake fitted.)

These are replacements for the 1990s 16T minerals seen previously.

"New" Bachmann 16T Mineral wagons

DCP13762.jpg

DCP13767.jpg

DCP13766.jpg

DCP13765.jpg

DCP13764.jpg

DCP13763.jpg

After a trip through the "paint shop"...

DCP13778.jpg

DCP13779.jpg

DCP13780.jpg

DCP13781.jpg

DCP13782.jpg

I have now "finished" the work on the Bachmann Weathered PO wagons to make them BR suitable for Ffrwd.

In Progress...

DCP13756.jpg

Transfers on. (Wheels and couplings inside each wagon!)

DCP13757.jpg

DCP13760.jpg

DCP13758.jpg

"Finished". (Removable Loads still to make..)

DCP13769.jpg

DCP13770.jpg

DCP13771.jpg

DCP13772.jpg

The other sides.

DCP13773.jpg

DCP13774.jpg

DCP13775.jpg

Sunshine on the Station.

DCP13852-1.jpg

DCP13851.jpg

DCP13850.jpg

DCP13849.jpg

New Dapol Kit Built Coaches, with Terrier and Ivatt 2-6-2 Tank.

DCP13845.jpg

DCP13846.jpg

DCP13847.jpg

DCP13843.jpg

DCP13841.jpg

DCP13842.jpg

DCP13840.jpg

Some of the locos in stock.

Some work to be done to these.

Mainline Dean Goods.

DCP13823.jpg

DCP13824.jpg

DCP13826.jpg

DCP13827.jpg

Mainline Collett Goods (2251)

DCP13835.jpg

DCP13836.jpg

DCP13837.jpg

DCP13838.jpg

DCP13839.jpg

Mainline 93XX Mogul.

DCP13830.jpg

DCP13831.jpg

DCP13828.jpg

DCP13834.jpg

Bachmann Pannier Tank. (a spare lined black body on a chassis.)

DCP13768.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 1

Part 17

August 2012

Another "new" SH loco.

Bachmann Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2 Tank loco BR. (Not auto fitted.)

This loco would be shedded at Wrexham Hightown Depot, LMR Region, for use on local passenger trains on the Wrexham Central, Ffrwd Locks, Denbigh and Rhyl, and Wrexham Central to Crewe routes.

Re-badged from the Late Crest with Modelmasters Transfers, and a trip through the weathering paint shop...

Bachmann Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2 Tank loco BR.

Ivatt2mttankBRFfrwd1.jpg

Ivatt2mttankBRFfrwdmod21.jpg

Ivatt2mttankBRFfrwdmod12BW.jpg

Ivatt2mttankBRFfrwdmod3.jpg

Ivatt2mttankBRFfrwdmod3BWjpg.jpg

Ivatt2mttankBRFfrwd2mod.jpg

Ivatt2mttankBRFfrwd2modBW.jpg

The Bachmann "Early Cab" Pannier tank.

BR Crest back-dated to the better Early Crest, and some weathering. Fireman added, the Driver is away at the moment!

The Bachmann "Early Cab" Pannier tank.

DCP14267.jpg

DCP14268.jpg

DCP14274.jpg

DCP14273.jpg

DCP14272.jpg

Some more photos of the Ivatt 2 MT Tank locos, BR and LMS.

The LMS tank has had some weathering applied. It still needs some steps..

DCP14276.jpg

DCP14277.jpg

DCP14278.jpg

DCP14279.jpg

DCP14280.jpg

The BR Livery Ivatt Tank Loco.

DCP14281.jpg

DCP14282.jpg

DCP14283.jpg

And now you are up-to-date! :thankyou:

• Like 3

Lovely model, i look forward to updates.

Eddie

Hi Eddie.

Thanks for the comments.

Today's burst is the "Archive".

More will be added as and when now.

Phew! You've been busy!

A lot of ground covered there, I think...

Although the Ratio station building was used on many layouts in the past

I like the touch with the "roof tiles" on the end wall

I've seen many prototype buildings in this style,

partucularly in North & Mid wales...

You rarely see this modelled - nice observation :)

And it has given you something a bit different...

Why not continue it over the whole wall?

I like the signal box, especially the interior

and the modification to the goods shed makes it a little different too

It seems I'm always attracted to a layout with a Welsh name....

That's what made me look...

Cheers

Marc

Hi Marc.

Thanks for the comments.

Most of the buildings I have seen only have the slates covering the gable ends. (It helps to keep the Welsh Rain off the walls.)

Some more remote buildings may well have the slates covering the whole wall.

Some farm houses I have seen have the roof coming down almost to the ground on the "Weather" side, for the same reason.

I do like to "kit bash" my buildings.

My ancestral home is near Wrexham, that is why I am attracted to the area...

• Like 1

Most of the buildings I have seen only have the slates covering the gable ends. (It helps to keep the Welsh Rain off the walls.)

Some more remote buildings may well have the slates covering the whole wall.

Some farm houses I have seen have the roof coming down almost to the ground on the "Weather" side, for the same reason.

I do like to "kit bash" my buildings.

My ancestral home is near Wrexham, that is why I am attracted to the area...

Yes, I do like seeing walls covered with slates....

It's an odd thing to like, I know

But as I said above, you don't see it modelled often

As you say, it's usually on the gable-end of a building

Kit-bashing helps put your own stamp on an otherwise more "generic" looking model

and that's a nice touch you have included there

It does give it a more Welsh look about it....

that damn rain! - mind you, it's sunny looking out of my window now ;)

Cheers

Edit: North Wales is indeed, a really great part of the world :)

... almost as nice as South Wales ;) lol....

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 1

Sarah,

I do like this layout it's good to see some older stock getting an outing; as a lad I remember the weight of some of those locos!

I paid most attention to the GW building - the Ratio kits? The painting finish on them is excellent. Can I ask the dimensions of the layout please and can we see a trackplan? (unless of course I've missed it above)

Regards,

Dave

• Like 1

Yes, I do like seeing walls covered with slates....

It's an odd thing to like, I know

But as I said above, you don't see it modelled often

As you say, it's usually on the gable-end of a building

Kit-bashing helps put your own stamp on an otherwise more "generic" looking model

and that's a nice touch you have included there

It does give it a more Welsh look about it....

that damn rain! - mind you, it's sunny looking out of my window now ;)

Cheers

Edit: North Wales is indeed, a really great part of the world :)

... almost as nice as South Wales ;) lol....

Hi Marc.

Thank you for the comments. It is nice to hear that I have achieved some Welshness in the model.

One day I'll get out with a camera and visit the area again. Every other time I've been, no camera!

It has been a nice day today.

Home Improvements today.

Southeners! ;)

Cymru Am Byth!

Sarah,

I do like this layout it's good to see some older stock getting an outing; as a lad I remember the weight of some of those locos!

I paid most attention to the GW building - the Ratio kits? The painting finish on them is excellent. Can I ask the dimensions of the layout please and can we see a trackplan? (unless of course I've missed it above)

Regards,

Dave

You have a good point there Dave.

I have never put up the track plan, and the only dimension quoted is the rough thickness of the ply, 6mm.

This will be rectified asap! :)

From memory, I would say the board is about four or five feet long, by about one and a half feet wide. I'll measure it tomorrow and we'll see!

There is no fiddleyard as yet, the tracks end under the Aqueduct.

Thanks for the comment about the painting. I am pleased with it, though it did take a few attempts to get it right.

I can reccomend the Ratio kits. They go together well. The Wills kits are almost as good, though the "Craftsman" "kits" take a lot more work. They are almost scratch building to someone elses plans! (That said, I haven't built one yet!)

• Like 1