Ffrwd Locks. BR WR North Wales, near Wrexham. C1952

Ruffnut Thorston

Some recently worked on wagons for Ffrwd Locks...

Ex. SR Unfitted Van

Dapol Wagon. Bachmann Metal Wheels. Hornby R.8099 Couplings. Modelmasters transfers. Weathered.

DCP16636_zpsb9cfd699.jpg

DCP16635_zps89313e1e.jpg

GWR P.Way Dept Wagon

DCP16632_zps0d064b6c.jpg

DCP16631_zps32547b18.jpg

Ex. Private Owner Wagon. Gloucester Gas Light Company.

Airfix Wagon, Hornby R.8099 Couplings, Bachmann metal wheels, Modelmasters Transfers. Weathered.

DCP16627_zps4854800a.jpg

DCP16628_zpsa8e6ff5c.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

A major resource discovered via Il Grifone on the Ebay Madness thread..Thanks David!

http://commons.wikim...ns_Diagram_1914

Here are some maps around the Ffrwd and Wrexham Area...

Wrexham Area Railway Clearing House "Junction Diagrams" C1905 and 1914.

The Ffrwd Branch (Moss Valley Line) leaves the top of the map from Moss Valley Junction...

Clicking on the map takes you to the site where the image can be enlarged by clicking on it...

Oswestry Gwersyllt, Plas Power & Wrexham RJD 55 [Public domain], by Railway Clearing House (Railway Junction Diagram), from Wikimedia Commons

Abergavenny, Corwen, Brymbo & Coed Talon RJD 119 [Public domain], by Railway Clearing House (Railway Junction Diagram), from Wikimedia Commons

Hope & Connah's Quay RJD 139 [Public domain], by Railway Clearing House (Railway Junction Diagram), from Wikimedia Commons

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

A Happy Christmas (well soon!) to you all.

The Bachmann 3f "Jinty" 0-6-0T now just about finished...in BRITISH RAILWAYS livery...

DCP16687_zps4aa3db59.jpg

DCP16686_zps927b289c.jpg

DCP16689_zps992baa30.jpg

A couple of vans...

DCP16693_zps5a4330c9.jpg

DCP16693_zps5a4330c9.jpg

A couple of Ex GWR Toads...

DCP16694_zps4f84d27e.jpg

DCP16695_zpsfe49f833.jpg

DCP16697_zpsebc6349d.jpg

And a fitted example...(Ex Airfix GMR grey one..)

DCP16701_zps8eb4d7e1.jpg

DCP16705_zps885777f3.jpg

Bachmann SR Queen Mary...

DCP16710_zps1f801f4e.jpg

DCP16711_zpsd93954f9.jpg

Hornby Terrier and Bachmann "Pill Box" Brake Van

DCP16714_zpsf29f7c85.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I found it interesting that the "recent" Hornby "Railroad" GWR Class 2721 0-6-0 PT is much better detailed than the original Hornby Railways issue....

The 2 models. The original issue has been re-painted, etc....

gallery_12119_2885_323811.jpg

Railroad. Note seperate handrails everywhere! The safety valve is also a far better moulding!

gallery_12119_2885_323583.jpg

gallery_12119_2885_114591.jpg

The original Hornby Railways model....with moulded handrails on the bunker, and the small handrails on the tanks...and a solid flat topped safety valve (The same as the 1970s Hornby Pannier Tank model!)

gallery_12119_2885_68592.jpg

gallery_12119_2885_360134.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...

The Ffrwd Branch of the Ellesmere Canal...

I have found these sites interesting, they cover the history of the canal scheme that the Canal at Ffrwd Locks would have been part of...

http://www.canalscape.net/Shroppie/Shroppie%20Files/Shroppie.htm#6%20-%20The%20Ffrwd%20Canal

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Ellesmere_Canal

http://www.rcahmw.gov.uk/LO/ENG/Heritage+of+Wales/World+Heritage+Wales/Pontcysyllte+Aqueduct+%26+Canal/

http://plaskynastoncanalgroup.org/canals/

Edited by Sarahagain

A Happy Christmas (well soon!) to you all.

The Bachmann 3f "Jinty" 0-6-0T now just about finished...in BRITISH RAILWAYS livery...

A couple of vans...

A couple of Ex GWR Toads...

And a fitted example...(Ex Airfix GMR grey one..)

Bachmann SR Queen Mary...

Hornby Terrier and Bachmann "Pill Box" Brake Van

Nice. Interesting on the research front. Do you find it gets in the way of the modelling? It does for me!

You can't beat a bit of boxed bauxite, methinks. Are you biased towards brake vans? Or is the line on a very steep slope? ;)

Cheers

Jan

Hi Jan.

There are a few gradients around Ffrwd....

But I intend to run a brake van special as well! ;)

There is also quite a large collection of Iron Ore Hoppers....for the Ironworks supply.

Bogie Bolsters for steel girders, outwards....

Mineral wagons for coal inwards...

Unlike the neaby Shotton Works, these are the smaller 4-wheelers rather than John Summers' Unfitted (No Vac. Brakes) Bogie Hoppers that were used for the Birkenhead docks to Shotton trains (latterly 9f hauled) a Merseyside "Consett" type working.

Some at least of these bogie hoppers later passed to ICI....who had similar hoppers, but Vac Brake fitted...soon to be made RTR for Hattons. (I cannot see me bring tempted though!)

ICI and Summers Hoppers...

http://paul3715.tripod.com/hopper.htm

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/jsummersorehopper

Research is fun! ;)

Edited by Sarahagain

• 1 year later...

As a "new" model of the GWR 14XX is due soon, here are a couple of photos of two of the 14XXs rostered to work the Moss Valley Branch up to Ffrwd Locks...

Basically as Airfix released it, but with a modified Hornby Safety valve and new tank vets added to replace  lost originals...Hornby clip-in narrow tension lock couplings fitted. Cab windows glazed.

post-12119-0-00133100-1468334895_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-68838200-1468334927_thumb.jpg

Another loco, re-painted into unlined BR Black with early crest, crew and the odd detail or two. Hornby clip-in narrow tension lock couplings fitted. Cab windows glazed. Number plates awaited...

post-12119-0-32326000-1468335143_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-86396800-1468335179_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

With the announcement of the Oxford Rail Dean Goods 0-6-0 due soon, here is an old Mainline Model, awaiting a trip through "works" for some detailing, etc.

Last available from Hornby, the tooling has done well. The tender drive explains the large coal load!

post-12119-0-44184300-1468335306_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-33971100-1468335359_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-45895600-1468335411_thumb.jpg

These "old" models have been around for some time....I wish I had a pound for every one made! ;)

Are we getting "detail greedy"?

I have finally aquired a roughly 10 year old Hornby China Made Battle of Britain, used, and with various detail parts broken or missing.

OK, it runs really smoothly (now it has had the wheels cleaned, and some oil on the moving bits), BUT the plastic tender steps are just asking to get broken, and the plastic ladder (should really be 2, but one is broken off and missing!), are so fine....and sooooo vulnerable....

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 year later...

UPDATE: January 2018...

Due to the Photobucket debacle....

I am slowly re-doing the photo links to somewhere else!

So...the photos are coming back!

THEN....I can get on with adding more recent work! ;)

EDIT:

UPDATE JUNE 2018....

Photobucket now seems to be working again.....

The other photo hosting site, POSTIMAGE..well that site changed the links a while ago, so that they all needed editing to work!

OK where you CAN edit, but not very helpful elsewhere! :(

Edited by Sarahagain

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Sarahagain

Nice Thread, so this is based on the Wrexham area, it's a shame a line as been gone for however many years.

I used to live in Leeswood in Mold and I used to nip down to Peny-Ffordd Station, in fact in 2010, I went from Wrexham to Shotton and I found every station in between by car and took photos of every station in detail on that line... 

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1

On 17/02/2020 at 20:11, Sarahagain said:

Hi Jamie.

Thanks for the comments.

Wrexham (Central) to Shotton.

That's the old Wrexham, Mold, and Connah's Quay Railway.

I've never been on that line myself...

HI Sarah,

I take it Penyffordd is still an active line, I'd go and catch the RHTT train from there as it some times used to wait for the signal and I'd go and sit with guy in the signal box...

Yes... there a house with an old semaphore signal in the garden at a junction I turned right at and the hose was right in front of you on the junction and I'm sure from memory in the garden was the old station and ramp up on to the platform when I was on my way to Chester, but every time I passed it, I wasn't sure if it used to be a station or whether he just collects Railway mania... and made the station himself... I think it may have been the old station house to as the house had all the markings, as he we on the local news several times and he use to show the all what he had collected, I'm just trying to recall where about it was, as it was cut through to A55 to get in to Chester, from Leeswood.

If it was an old station, is that the area you are basing you layout on then or did Wrexham have other railway lines that no longer exists... as in, an old disused railway line...? 

Do you still live in the Wrexham area still...? I'm now right near Snowdon now after I left Leeswood, I moved back to my house I already had, just out side Caernarfon on the Porthmadog road. I miss Chester though, its a lovely place...

take care... nice chatting to you. I have added you as friend if that is OK with you...

Regards

Jamie