BR MK2 coaches in blue & grey - poor interest in them - Why?

• RMweb Premium

Disk brakes on a Mk2?

Didn't the Scottish Class 27 Push-Pull have disc brakes?

Sorry Griffgriff and others provided that info 3 years ago!

Edited by kevinlms

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I seriously can't see past the blue coming too far up the bodysides, almost touching the bottoms of the windows!

It's a shame too, because apart from that, the coaches look really good (to me anyway).

The thing that confuses me is that when I look at mixed rakes on old pictures, i can't tell if I'm looking at mk2's or mk2a's.

According to wiki, the original coaches (mk2) were vacuum only, so surely they wouldn't couple with aircons, but the mk2a's were air brake only, so wouldn't couple to mk1 buffets.

How did that work? Are air cons dual braked to overcome this?

A lot of Mk.1s were fitted with air brakes, either as well as or instead of vacuum. Among the catering vehicles, in the 1980s the RBR fleet was all dual or air braked, as were the RKBs and some of the RMBs.

Jim

Edited by Jim Martin

So a rake of aircons would have mk2a bso's then, rather than original mk2 bso's?

Aircons could have a Mk2a BSO, rather than the original Mk2 (also called a Mk2z after 1983) but were more likely to have a BG, an aircon BSO or an aircon BFK. Mk2a BFK coaches also turned up in aircon rakes from time to time:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53299842@N08/5543855394/in/photolist-eWjPiD-7ZgS8z-qr2erC-7ZgScv-dgtLSb-dnDMUS-oJHkbH-9rTH4G-dbF4WU-e4S7Kv-aptATc-rWhLXp-dAk4QF-e4aGuq-a4bXgP

(note the dual heat/dual brake Mk1 TSO as well and a Mk2a/Mk2c BSO towards the far end).

Edited by Flood
  • Like 2

I seriously can't see past the blue coming too far up the bodysides, almost touching the bottoms of the windows!

It's a shame too, because apart from that, the coaches look really good (to me anyway).

This was corrected on the 2nd wave of releases

http://www.ehattons.com/52637/Bachmann_Branchline_39_380A_BR_Mk2A_BSO_Brake_Second_Open_Blue_Grey/StockDetail.aspx

• RMweb Premium

Aircons could have a Mk2a BSO, rather than the original Mk2 (also called a Mk2z after 1983) but were more likely to have a BG, an aircon BSO or an aircon BFK. Mk2a BFK coaches also turned up in aircon rakes from time to time:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53299842@N08/5543855394/in/photolist-eWjPiD-7ZgS8z-qr2erC-7ZgScv-dgtLSb-dnDMUS-oJHkbH-9rTH4G-dbF4WU-e4S7Kv-aptATc-rWhLXp-dAk4QF-e4aGuq-a4bXgP

(note the dual heat/dual brake Mk1 TSO as well and a Mk2a/Mk2c BSO towards the far end).

Normally 2C I think, so chop up a Lima time.

Just trying to decide if to put Replica B4s under mine

Normally 2C I think, so chop up a Lima time.

Just trying to decide if to put Replica B4s under mine

I might go even more radical and use extreme etchings pressure vent windows on an Airfix BSO (with corrected tumblehome).

That DOES look alot better! Is the product code (39-380a) different from the first releases then?

Also, did they do the same with the tso's as well, or just the bso's? Cheers.

Edited by johny retro

The original product code would have been the same without the "a". There was an "a" & "b" release for the Mk2a TSO and an "a" for the Mk2a FK. There are more TSO releases due and a BFK.

The original product code would have been the same without the "a". There was an "a" & "b" release for the Mk2a TSO and an "a" for the Mk2a FK. There are more TSO releases due and a BFK.

So the 'a' designates it as the improved release?

That's interesting. May have to pop along to my local liverpool based railway establishment with some hard earned...

So the 'a' designates it as the improved release?

That's interesting. May have to pop along to my local liverpool based railway establishment with some hard earned...

Not necessarily an improved release, just a new release batch. If you look at the Mk1 stock they are now up to 39-025G for the SKs and 39-075D for the BSKs.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hmm. After studying the newer mk2a's, i'm still not convinced they're right.

Think i'll wait and see if either Hornby have a decent go, or if Bachmann release mk2b's.

I am detailing up some Triang Hornby ones

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 06/09/2012 at 20:32, 6959 said:

I frequently trawl through the eHattons web page to see what is new, what is selling or sticking, what is about to run out, and for bargains.

For several months there have been listed some MK2 coaches in blue and grey or its intercity version at 12 quid a pop. Anyone with an interest in this period can pick up brand new coaches for a lot less than used tat sells for on ebay.

In the 1980s I spent many a sunny day photographing blue and grey trains headed by a loco in the big arrows livery but apart from a few blue diesels I have little model interest in the blue era and do not buy any more.

Why are these coaches so cheap?

If only you could still get them for £12!

• Agree 1

• 1 year later...
On 19/02/2016 at 18:16, divibandit said:

That's not completely true, Gwiwer. BREL built a solitary mk2E/F catering vehicle which they subsequently sold to NIR who used it on cross-border Enterprise services.

Steve

No strictly, istr it was 5970 which was built as a standard TSO then converted after a couple of months 

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry to drag up an old thread. 

Does anyone know how late the blue/grey mk2a coaches survived on the Western region? I’ve seen some photos of brake coaches still in that livery in the early 90s, but how about TSO? My layout is set in 1990 and I can get hold of some blue grey TSOs but not NSE livery ones. 

Edited by Neil P
  • Like 1

On 30/08/2021 at 08:11, Neil P said:

Sorry to drag up an old thread. 

Does anyone know how late the blue/grey mk2a coaches survived on the Western region? I’ve seen some photos of brake coaches still in that livery in the early 90s, but how about TSO? My layout is set in 1990 and I can get hold of some blue grey TSOs but not NSE livery ones. 

Plenty of photos of 50/50s with them in '89 in mixed rakes, so its not too much of a stretch for them to still have been around a year later in ever decreasing numbers. You'll be well served by the recently announced Accurascale Mk2b, there will be plenty of NSE TSOs from them in good time with the first batch, and hopefully that will also free up some of the Bachmann 2As.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1