Noisy coal trains in Scotland

But how many people either know/think about doing such a search (I'm sure we call it something else up here, if we have it), or are inclined to stick their head over the fence and dismiss the bundle of weeds as an impossibility - most I'd suggest.

We do have to remember that with regard to most facets of everyday life and certainly all things legal, social and economical, the general public are inherently stupid and ignorant.

I think you have completely missed the point - of course not many people know about these things. It is the solicitors job to know about these things, and them that we rely on to think of this, which is what they have years of experience, training qualifications etc. specifically to do. Its them we expect to know and exactly why you need to have a good one when buying a house. If of course you go for a crap cheap solicitor who misses it, then you have yourself to blame, but nevertheless it is specifically for their knowledge of 'all things legal' etc that we don't possess that we hire them to find out these things on our behalf.

I think you have completely missed the point - of course not many people know about these things. It is the solicitors job to know about these things, and them that we rely on to think of this, which is what they have years of experience, training qualifications etc. specifically to do. Its them we expect to know and exactly why you need to have a good one when buying a house. If of course you go for a crap cheap solicitor who misses it, then you have yourself to blame, but nevertheless it is specifically for their knowledge of 'all things legal' etc that we don't possess that we hire them to find out these things on our behalf.

So someone has only themselves to blame for an action not being undertaken of which they've no knowledge of it's requirement or even existence in the first place?

In case you're not aware, solicitors do come in the 'expensive yet crap/let's just wing it/can't be bothered' variety more than you might think.

• RMweb Gold

So someone has only themselves to blame for an action not being undertaken of which they've no knowledge of it's requirement or even existence in the first place?

In case you're not aware, solicitors do come in the 'expensive yet crap/let's just wing it/can't be bothered' variety more than you might think.

Solicitors are recommended for use during house conveyancing as there is a lot of money at stake - ignorance is not really a defence here and trying to save money, and then moan about it afterwards when it goes pear shaped is certainly not a defence.

• RMweb Gold

But if your solicitor fails to do your searches properly then you have redress on them for not doing their job properly (solicitors suing solicitors.....)

Of course, if you don't read the results of the searches, then it is back to blaming no one but yourselves.

A Young work colleague bought a house right next to one of the Signal Boxes at Shrewsbury (down by the abbey), although he was none enthusiast he was never bothered, and regularly used to bring in photos of the steam specials that were laying over in the sidings over his fence! Jammy sod!

• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember something similar alongside the resurrected Great Central, when there were complaints about trains running next to houses that had been built alongside the line.

I believe one of the comments was something like "We didn't think they would be so big". Exactly how big did they expect a 12" to foot railway to be?

There was much the same sort of hoo-haa some years ago next to Birmingham Airport.

A load of new houses were built in the land on the NE of the runways.

The houses were sold.

The people move in.

The people complained about aircraft noise.

Didn't they notice the airport right next door?

"We didn't think the aircraft would be so noisy"!

Keith

Here's an example from Melbourne.

http://moonee-valley-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/call-to-phase-out-jets-at-essendon-airport/

Essendon Airport has only been there since 1926, when there were no houses. So not one resident can possibly claim they didn't have knowledge prior to moving in.

Looking at the BBC Scotland newspages tonight a subject attracted my attention ,local residents are claiming that coal trains to Longannet Power Station are making their lives a misery.They claim that when the line reopened they were told that no trains would run after late evening,but for the last four years they have run overnight.A group has been formed and have attracted the services of a solicitor ,they must smell money and a chance to appear on tv.Transport For Scotland have erected noise barriers at some locations and have placated people but this lot are after compensation,dont they want electricity for their homes?But as usual the BBC have dug around their archives and come up with a photo of BR merry go round hoppers not the current rolling stock! This craving for compensation seems to be growing and also it is noticable on the house renovation programes an adjacent rail line is a no no ,but a busy road thats okay.Just how long would a coal train take to pass and is the vibration as bad as these people claim ,a busy road is a constant noise combined with vibration.It would seem that this group look at rail as an easy target lets hope the traffic to the power station is not stopped as we are short of power stations ass it is.

Let them swap for the timber lorries through Newcastleton.

Roygaham

• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember something similar alongside the resurrected Great Central, when there were complaints about trains running next to houses that had been built alongside the line.

I believe one of the comments was something like "We didn't think they would be so big". Exactly how big did they expect a 12" to foot railway to be?

Didn't some of the residents also complain about the trains thundering along at 25mph at the bottom of their back gardens, and how they're so dangerous? The fact there was a main, 60mph road outside their front gardens seemed to pass them by.

The people complaining should receive a letter stating "no coal trains = no electricity = no lights, TV, etc".

When I bought my house in 1993, less than 100m from the WCML, I remember the sales agent saying "don't bother about the railway, there are only a couple of trains per day" !!!!!!. I knew better, and as an enthusiast it didn't bother me in the slightest.

Trains are indeed quiter now, no sounding of horns since the footpath crossing was replaced with a footbridge a number of years ago. There is one train though, a long and heavilly loaded northbound electric loco hauled container train around 9.54 - 10.00 pm every night, that flys up Boars Head bank allways at at a fair old lick, sometimes I can feel / hear slight house ornament vibrations.

Must see my solicitor !!!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

Talking of foot crossings... just on the London side of Sharnbrook Summit on the MML fast lines there lives an air stewardess whose house is just a few yards from the whistle board which applies to the foot crossing that leads to her property... she complains constantly about us tooting our horns but still the penny hasn't dropped...!

At a level crossing on the Knighton Junction - Burton line a local councillor lives in the old station house, he complains about the tooting of horns and the general noise of passing freight trains and wants the line closed, plus he's trying to put a stop to a new contract that would see more freight on the line (and therefore fewer lorries going over the level crossing)... but he fails to recognise that some of the folk who pay his wages depend on the line for their income...!

So exactly how many trains a night are we talking about?

I have sat ouside The Red Lion in Culross and never found the noise of the trains to be disturbing. Inside you would not even notice when a train came along. The houses in question cannot be any nearer to the railway than the back yard of the pub.

Bernard

I can fully empathise with these poor people.

One of my friends used to live close to the WCML in Stafford. I found it utterly impossible to sleep in his house. The sound of trains passing at night had me uncontrollably leaping to the windows to observe the late night train action (particularly for 25s on engineering workings).

I can fully empathise with these poor people.

One of my friends used to live close to the WCML in Stafford. I found it utterly impossible to sleep in his house. The sound of trains passing at night had me uncontrollably leaping to the windows to observe the late night train action (particularly for 25s on engineering workings).

I rented a house in Stafford next door to the one that had an uninvited RES class 86 in its living room - you don't get much closer than that! - although that would have been more for the insurance to sort out as I think complaining would not really cover it. I never had any problems with the noise or vibration mind.

• RMweb Premium

In the mid 80s I rented a flat over a terraced shop with the LSWR main line at the back (no garden, tiny back yard, track over the wall) and a main road at the front. The vibration from the trains was felt at the front of the flat, the vibration of the road traffic at the back! Not surprisingly the party walls had vertical cracks and were held together with iron straps. I slept at the back and the trains didn't bother me at all. How did so many people survive life in houses backing on to the railways without complaining? They got used to it.

Pete

Bernard,

If memory serves the trains in question don't go as far as Culross - only as far East as Longannet.

P.S. How many times have you sat outside the Red Lion in the early hours of the morning trying to sleep?

It was probably before the new line opened when they went that way.

Never very late but the noise would be the same during the day.

It amused children of all ages to put pieces of ballast on the rails and watch the loco smash them.

There was/is a legal crossing before people start to moan.

Bernard

Archived