Departmental Grey

design8027

Gentlemen,

About time an old colour scheme was recognised. Time to get a good healthy debate on the pro's and cons of BRs departmental grey locomotives. I personally didn't mind it, there were worse colours out there. The first question I ask is about grey 37087, when did she go grey, also where the nose doors in place or blanked off?

Regards,

Stephen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I remember reading (in Rail Express I think) that General Grey was unpopular. I can't say that I ever remember disliking it and also thought it looked quite smart when new.

I have thought about the need for a General Grey 37. I think I may wait a while until Bachmann have released the next batch of 37/0s and when they're on offer I'll snap one up and do it then!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dave,

088 did, though its a mixed bag of Black/yellow boxes and different numbers ( I have a lima re-paint somewhere!) as did 072 but then you need a center panel one end - one loco I have always wanted to do!!

Al

Dave,

088 did, though its a mixed bag of Black/yellow boxes and different numbers ( I have a lima re-paint somewhere!) as did 072 but then you need a center panel one end - one loco I have always wanted to do!!

Al

nice one, thanks Al

• 7 months later...

Did you do dutch 37240 and 372??

Has any of the dutch 37s been saved? or are they all now scrapped??

Quite a few that wore Dutch have been saved,

37159 (albeit as d5910)

Probably a couple I have missed to add to the above, I think only 37255 still wears dutch

146, 254 and 294 also still retain dutch I do believe...

Chris

Hi Chris,

You are indeed right about 146, as Eric said 254 is in Intercity Swallow and 294 is in undercoat prior to going blue

Hi Chris,

You are indeed right about 146, as Eric said 254 is in Intercity Swallow and 294 is in undercoat prior to going blue

Oh, really? My sincerest apologies then - I'm slightly out of touch!!! Yes, I don't think 146 will be altering any time soon! 

Incidentally I have some very good detail shots of 37087 when she was stored at Crewe South Yard in 1998/99. She had a few unique detail oddities, so if anyone's interested I'll dig them out. Her water tank and gauges still live on on 37264 though! :-)

Chris

Edited by ClydeIron

Oh, really? My sincerest apologies then - I'm slightly out of touch!!! Yes, I don't think 146 will be altering any time soon! 

Incidentally I have some very good detail shots of 37087 when she was stored at Crewe South Yard in 1998/99. She had a few unique detail oddities, so if anyone's interested I'll dig them out. Her water tank and gauges still live on on 37264 though! :-)

Chris

Hi Chris,i would luv to see your 37087 photos!!

cheers neil...