Departmental Grey

design8027

No problem. All date from 1998 when I had a look round 087 (and everything else on the Crewe scrap line) with a view to purchase (this was before the official EWS tender list debacle).

At the time she had only some minor bits removed and was in generally good shape, just life expired more than anything else. Had a look round 142 as well, which apart from one knackered bogie, was in much better shape!

So yes, got some good nose shots, cab shots and external views. I'm hunting - they can't be too well hidden!!

Chris

You're not kidding! Still hunting - I got a lot of pictures of the scrap line at the same time!!! It's very frustrating... tractor-wise there was 087, 141/142 & 404.

One intriguing thing about 087 - especially for modellers - there was no lower boiler filler port step on the bodysides. Most 37s always had the lower one left open, but the top two filled (apart from a few... 077, 222 for example which had a full set, including doors (and internal chutes!!!!). 087, however, had the whole lot welded up...

C

You're not kidding! Still hunting - I got a lot of pictures of the scrap line at the same time!!! It's very frustrating... tractor-wise there was 087, 141/142 & 404.

One intriguing thing about 087 - especially for modellers - there was no lower boiler filler port step on the bodysides. Most 37s always had the lower one left open, but the top two filled (apart from a few... 077, 222 for example which had a full set, including doors (and internal chutes!!!!). 087, however, had the whole lot welded up...

C

Very interesting information Chris!! :read:

I know, I know dull stuff, but someone might find it useful. 087 was a bit of an obsession of mine, I know her and 264 back to front pretty much  :O

Chris

That's what RMweb is here for-knowledge to be imparted on the wider community.

Besides, it's a tractor. It's fine to know them back to front, they're good engines!

• 6 years later...

Hi folks - I know it's boring but I'd really like a plain departmental grey 37 and I was looking at Bachmann's 142 in a model shop showcase today.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/class-37-0-37142-br-engineers-grey/32-788db

However, I couldn't quite bring myself to part with £155 because this particular model has an oversize white BR double arrow on the cab side.  Love the loco, but not the logo!  Was this for real?

So I thought I'd come home and check it out. 

Sure enough a Google Images search does reveal the real loco did indeed have this on in 1990!

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fclass37-growlers.weebly.com%2Fclass-371.html&psig=AOvVaw06fpyeFEfNziENma1CoWr8&ust=1601914911455000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCJCezJusm-wCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

My question is this - did anybody buy this model and remove the printed logo?  If so, how easily did it come off, and which method did you choose?  I don't rerally fancy risking the T Cut method as I don't want to end up with a shiny cab side!

Ideally I'd like to re-number and use one of Shawplan's excellent etched arrows. 

Any advice would be welcome- thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/10/2020 at 17:32, cravensdmufan said:

My question is this - did anybody buy this model and remove the printed logo?  If so, how easily did it come off, and which method did you choose?  I don't rerally fancy risking the T Cut method as I don't want to end up with a shiny cab side!

I recently started a project with one of the new Bachmann 24/1's which involved the stripped shell taking a bath in 99% IPA , i noticed it shed it's transfers within minutes so it may be worth putting a drop on the logo's , giving it 5 minutes then trying gently to persuade it off with a cocktail stick and mopping up the excess straight away ? Just don't leave it on to long as it actually stripped the paint off the 24 within a couple of hours whereas in the past when i have stripped Bachmann paint i have had to leave it 24-48 hours

• Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

I recently started a project with one of the new Bachmann 24/1's which involved the stripped shell taking a bath in 99% IPA , i noticed it shed it's transfers within minutes so it may be worth putting a drop on the logo's , giving it 5 minutes then trying gently to persuade it off with a cocktail stick and mopping up the excess straight away ? Just don't leave it on to long as it actually stripped the paint off the 24 within a couple of hours whereas in the past when i have stripped Bachmann paint i have had to leave it 24-48 hours

That is very useful information, thanks Sulzer.

I think I will get one of the all grey 37s and have a go with IPA.  I suppose at the end of the day, if I mess up  at least this particular livery would be pretty easy to do a complete respray!

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/10/2020 at 03:32, cravensdmufan said:

Hi folks - I know it's boring but I'd really like a plain departmental grey 37 and I was looking at Bachmann's 142 in a model shop showcase today.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/class-37-0-37142-br-engineers-grey/32-788db

However, I couldn't quite bring myself to part with £155 because this particular model has an oversize white BR double arrow on the cab side.  Love the loco, but not the logo!  Was this for real?

So I thought I'd come home and check it out. 

Sure enough a Google Images search does reveal the real loco did indeed have this on in 1990!

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fclass37-growlers.weebly.com%2Fclass-371.html&psig=AOvVaw06fpyeFEfNziENma1CoWr8&ust=1601914911455000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCJCezJusm-wCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

Ideally I'd like to re-number and use one of Shawplan's excellent etched arrows. 

Any advice would be welcome- thanks. 

Does anyone know when 37 142 went grey? 

• 1 month later...

142 is a bit of an anomaly - it’s one of the few that went through Laira for overhaul along with 263 and 188 and maybe some others. The headcode panel is quite distinctive on all of these with sealed beam markers and screws round the outside. If I remember it went through about 89... that’s probably when it went grey. 263 also had big double arrows on the cab side.

At roughly the same time Laira overhauled 37031/053/047 and they lost their boxes and gained a non standard centre box instead. I think 280 may also have been part of this group.

Edited by Firecrest
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/12/2020 at 10:31, Firecrest said:

142 is a bit of an anomaly - it’s one of the few that went through Laira for overhaul along with 263 and 188 and maybe some others. The headcode panel is quite distinctive on all of these with sealed beam markers and screws round the outside. If I remember it went through about 89... that’s probably when it went grey. 263 also had big double arrows on the cab side.

At roughly the same time Laira overhauled 37031/053/047 and they lost their boxes and gained a non standard centre box instead. I think 280 may also have been part of this group.

Thanks 37 142 received F exam at Laira between December 1989 - February 1990 according to https://www.class37.co.uk/

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Jim76 said:

Thanks 37 142 received F exam at Laira between December 1989 - February 1990 according to https://www.class37.co.uk/

I remember going round it when it was stored at Crewe South in 1999. It had blown a traction motor at Penrith in 1997 and had been sidelined. Apart from the dodgy motor it was in pretty good shape, even to the point of having a great set of batts as after setting the BIS everything lit up! Was interested in 087 at the time which was parked up nearby. IIRC it had the Laira exam date on the cab roof, glad it still survives! 

When we were doing up 264 we were talking to the new owners of 263 and I noticed the panels had the same weird screw arrangement and markers - a quick check on TOPS (it was still registered at that point) and yep a Laira overhaul. Ditto 188 which I visited on a tender list at Toton. 

If it helps I wrote an article on (later) class 37 detail differences for Model Rail about 2005/6 which had all the differences listed - if I can find you it I’ll send you a PM! 

The split box conversions at Laira were very distinctive - both boxes were removed to be replaced by a centre panel box that was flatter, wider and had more rounded edges. The horn grilles were retained but the doors were removed. 

Anyway HTH 

• Thanks 1