Captain Nick

Hi Jonathan

I started out by using a combination of Brassmaster's Wizard Models and Model-U components but it proved too fiddly for my arthritic fingers so I tried the Will components  and did a trial run. It is slightly overscale It isn't as neat as I would have liked it but as long as you don't look too closely then it fits the the criteria of showing the various paraphernalia that abounded trackside back in the fifties if only in a cosmetic way. Its not an exhibition (ha! Ha!) layout and only friends get to see it and non of them are 'rivet counters',  although one is a consulting engineer and has his own layout.  I have had a look at the DCC stuff but I had already bought loads of the Wills rodding and my layout is already operational.

I have just spent hours seemingly achieving very little on a hard to reach area of the layout. Methinks I should have contemplated doing this before the ballasting but I am where I am. As this is quite a complicated junction etc, I'm wondering if anyone on here would know when electrically operated points started being used on the railway and did they sometimes mix them with rod operated ones? I hope so as  working on these rodding runs is doing my head in!

Time for some wine!

Edited by Captain Nick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your reply. I am sure Station Master on here would help you out with electrically operated points. I bought Wills stuff too but may go down the finer route so if you need any more let me know. DCC stuff can be used cosmetically but it's pricey.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

As an update to the goings on in Wormdale, I have completed the introduction of the point rodding to the west of the station which constitutes the greater area of the lay-out. I have taken the last month recuperating in a sanatorium. On the eastern approach to the station, the off-scene signal box was burnt down in 1956 and the Derby S&T department decided that the subsequent re-built signal box would operate electric points on a semi experimental basis, Signals  continue to be line operated. (....and that dear reader, is why I'm not fitting rodding to that part of Wormdale. Dummy point motors will be affixed in the near future!) 

I have also fitted the first of the three track panels that make up the station freight avoiding line. This is now in place and electrically wired up and tested.  This has resulted in the control panel finally in its planned final resting place underneath this panel. Everything is looking much tidier for the first time in nine years!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It's great to have an update from you, Capt. Nick. I'm sure a couple of photos to remind us of your great layout would go down very well with us too.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Here are some not very good photos which only go to highlight areas that need some attention but do give some idea of the rodding runs. These runs do not stand up to close attention but when standing at the normal viewing distance do give a reasonable idea of the line side clutter that was evident back in the day which is something I quite miss these days.

20190605_093044_resized.jpg

20190605_093055_resized.jpg

20190605_093152_resized.jpg

20190605_093242_resized.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I'm back in the room, the railway room that is. Having spent June and July travelling through France Spain and of course, Buxton. August has seen me and management decorating our loft conversion wherein Wormdale lies. Wormdale has not been part of this process I hasten to add. However, the decorating is at the touch-up stage and so I am about to embark on building Wormdale's station which is to be based on the second incarnation of Chinley. I completed the platforms and the footbridge (glazing still to do) three years ago. For those not familiar with the now demolished Chinley station , I have put together a short description together with photos obtained from the internet and so apologies for any copyright infringements but are reproduced here only for illustrative purposes :-

2_(a)_4mm_scale_Waiting_Room_Panel_Elevation_Drawing.docx.docx

Chinley Station

Overview

Chinley station was re-built from a small village station on the Midland Railway’s Manchester to St Pancras line. With the opening of the then new Chinley Junction line to Sheffield through Cowburn and Totley tunnels at the beginning of the last century, a new interchange station was built. This station had 5 through platforms and one up bay platform. The similarity of design, utilizing modular timber and glazed panels set upon stone dwarf walls, could be found at other smaller stations along the line. All the stations operational management etc was carried out from the buildings on the island platforms. There were no other buildings provided lineside or on the approach to the station. The footbridge was also a public right of way across the line.

Description and Construction of the Platform Buildings

The station buildings were mainly built of wood on steel frames and were generally modular in construction.  They were all to be found on the actual platforms. The platforms themselves were serviced by a long steel and glazed timber covered footbridge with stairs to platform level. All buildings were single story except for the booking office which was accessed directly from the footbridge. (fig 3)  The buildings were provided with open fire heating and brick hearths and chimney breasts were provided internally. All the station buildings/offices etc were to be found only on the platforms.

In way of the platform buildings, and extending for approximately 60% of the length of the platforms themselves (except platform 1), a cantilevered canopy was provided. The arrangement gave an uncluttered and open appearance to the platforms. The cover was edged with a 3 foot depth valence which extended above and below the canopy upper roof line. The roof of the canopy was flat and drainage was carried away by down pipes to drains within the line of the platform buildings. (Fig 2)

Steel beams, supported by the buildings steel verticals in turn supported the canopy over the platform at 10.5 feet centres. The canopy utilised timbers to provide structure between the horizontal steel members and whole was boarded and felted. Skylights were provided where appropriate.

The vertical steels, as well as providing support for the canopy, provided the frame for the modular panel walls which were either glazed or wood vertical boarded but mainly a combination of both. (Fig  &2) Doorways were provided within passage ways at 90 degrees to the platform face and dividing the platform buildings. (fig.1) Each passageway corresponded in width to the 10.5 foot steel vertical arrangement spacing and thus providing symmetry to the overall construction. A glazed skylight was provided above each of these passageways. The open space between the platform buildings and the platform edge was a constant distance and so the buildings became narrower where the platform narrowed at each end of the station. The modular panels were faced by a 3 foot high capped masonry dwarf wall. (fig 2) This wall would seem to have been purely cosmetic in that it appeared not to be load bearing except where the lower horizontal member of the modular panel rested on the coping stone. (fig.1)

The booking office (fig 3) was built of stone on the ground floor whilst the upper story would appear to have been wholly timber framed and clad and overhung the lower floor by 1.25 feet on the north and south elevations (rail sides). However two masonry/brick chimneys were incorporated into the structure. One of these was within the building (as pictured above fig 4) but the other was incorporated within the west elevation wall.

The west chimney was built into part of the west elevation whilst the east chimney was set back within the structure. The upper floor was of a similar appearance to the timber waiting rooms but the outer timber framing was more robust and the windows similar, but slightly larger in dimensions. The vertical planking used for the boarding was also wider than that used in the station level buildings. The vertical joins between planks were covered with beading. (I’m sure there is an architectural term for this but I can’t find it.) (Board and batten perhaps?)

Footbridge

This was a steel plate girder bridge which was provided with a glazed wooden canopy (see drawings 18 & 19 and also Fig 3 ). The deck of the footbridge was timber planks laid over a steel frame. Access was provided by stairways onto each platform and the lineside at each end. Access was also provided to the Booking Office 1st Floor level. The stairs were timber covered with glazing to the side, down until the stairway passed through the platform canopy where they became open to the platform

Valence

This was provided to the edges of the platform canopy. (see fig 1, 2 & 3) It was 3 feet in depth with 2 rows of decorative holes, upper row whole with the lower semi circular, at the lower edge as shown whilst the upper edge was decorated by a timber moulding. The vertical boards making up the valence appear to be 5 or 6 inches wide.

Chinley-1.jpg

Chinley_3.jpg

East_Elevation_of_Booking_Hall.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

After much dithering, I got in touch with York Models (usual disclaimer and other providers are available) to make up the component that I would need to start the platform buildings. I sent them some homemade plans with as accurate dimensions as possible. They came back with the final drawings for the components  which were spot on and away we went!

No 1 16mm scale Waiting Room Panel Elevation Drawing.doc

Thanks Al. Very slowly I'm afraid. I was just thinking that it's taken me eleven years to get this far and another 45% or so of the layout still to complete. However I think I may get the station done by next Easter with any luck. I'm just about to order the next lot of components from York Models (usual disclaimer). This will be the valence (5 metres of) and the staircase railings and banisters together with items with which to make the skylights or lanterns as they are called on the drawings.. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

More from Wormdale. I have been working on Platform 1 and 2 since my last post together their buildings, canopy, stairs and footbridge glazing. I made a rod for my back (oh my poor back!) as these platforms, already in place, are at the back of the layout so access and sighting was difficult. I have noticed quite a few mistakes because of this which I have not been able to rectify so my satisfaction level is only about 60%. It should be easier when I come to do Platforms 3 and 4 as these will be more of a show piece towards the front of the layout. I least I have learned the hard way. Anyhow,  1 and 2 are almost complete apart from filling in some holes, weathering and detailing. 

20200204_100730.jpg

20200204_100739.jpg

20200204_101037.jpg

20200204_101044.jpg

20200212_100147.jpg

20200212_100310.jpg

20200212_101646.jpg

20200222_132106.jpg

20200307_153200.jpg

20200307_155432.jpg

20200308_140539.jpg

20200308_144741.jpg

20200308_144824.jpg

20200308_145124.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Some lovely work there, Capt. Nick and as Alister says, it's good to see a post from you even if they are several months apart!! Good to see somebody else using (I think) Dingham couplings?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Everybody. I have been busy with building the actual station of Wormdale, a station with five platforms all connected by a foot bridge. The whole thing is based on the now demolished Chinley Station. Since my last post I have commenced building the west side of platforms 3 and 4. The east side will have the two storey booking hall, reminiscent of Chinley but with a few slight modifications to the internal layout. 

I have also built myself a loco driven track cleaner made out of an old Lima GUV and it has proved surprisingly effective. This in turn has given me pleasure in actually running trains again. With over 110 metres of track to keep clean, I needed it.

I hope you like the photos but I apologise for their quality.

20200422_120854.jpg

20200413_102522.jpg

20200425_141607.jpg

P1040786.JPG

P1040787.JPG

P1040791.JPG

P1040789.JPG

P1040798.JPG

The Manchester Nottingham stopping train.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 1 year later...

I forgot to put any narrative with the photo I've just posted. I can see that I haven't posted anything for a year but wow, that's flown by! I have been working on the station booking office which is now complete.  I still have some detaining to do though. 

I have also discovered online auctions and have now become the proud owner of about nine more locos. Amazingly, one or two are over twenty years old but appear not to have been out of the box since the day they were put in in China. Even the newer ones are in the same mint condition. I've just got to get them sound chipped now so I'd better start saving my pennies!  

I will post more photos soon but by phone camera wont save the pics for some reason.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Welcome back, Capt Nick. It's good to have you posting your lovely modelling again after so long. I thought you might be stuck off a foreign port who would not let you dock for fear of Covid!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1