Dapol N Gauge Western

TomE

The engine noise at the beginning is the neighbour's lawnmower! My layout is in the attic

Really?

Mine makes exactly the same noise, and its running in on the kitchen table.

I couldn't believe it at first but it definitely has the hum of a twin high speed engine.

Perhaps Dave had tuned the twin drive reducing gears to produce this !? :paint:

MG

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Western Venturer arrived yesterday and is now on the rolling road. I fitted it with short NEM rapidos at both ends--it couples nicely to stock with standard-length couplings. After initial concern, I found that the standard-length rapido supplied in the spares packet had the NEM pocket fitted to it; I inserted it into the bogie, withdrew the coupling and replaced it with the short one. Trust this will avoid initial panic at finding the pocket missing from one bogie!

Oh, by the way, it's a real beaut!

All,

Acquired a blue western yesterday. Part of the pack contained a spare bogie. 

I can't see any apparent reason for this.

Can anyone kindly shed any light?

thanks

The one fitted to mine at one end had no coupling pocket to allow the valance to be fitted. The spare has a coupling pocket but that prevents the valance being used

Here is a video of D1005 'Western Venturer' and D1000 'Western Enterprise' at work on my layout. I think these are the best detailed N gauge diesels I have seen to date. Both are also great runners straight out of the box. All we need now are weathered versions - I never saw a Western with anything other than a horribly faded, filthy appearance.

Seeing them together makes me realize that I prefer the desert sand livery - good for Osborns for getting the limited edition available before the launch of the more 'common' color schemes!

Ugh - I just need to vent a little.  I received my desert sand Western Enterprise late last week.  I ran it just long enough to see if it worked and then I put it away.

Tonight I took it out to fit the couplers only to discover that the spare coupler with the coupling box moulded on was missing the bit inside which the NEM coupler actually slots into, and more distressingly, the separate valance to use when running one end without a coupler was missing from the bits that came with my model.

I've emailed Osborns Models just now but as I said to them, I'm quite gutted.  I had so been looking forward to this model in this livery!  I hope they can help me sort this out with minimum hassle.  They have a good reputation so fingers are crossed.

Not much I can do now but wait.  Like I said - ugh.

Matt

• RMweb Premium

Ugh - I just need to vent a little.  I received my desert sand Western Enterprise late last week.  I ran it just long enough to see if it worked and then I put it away.

Tonight I took it out to fit the couplers only to discover that the spare coupler with the coupling box moulded on was missing the bit inside which the NEM coupler actually slots into, and more distressingly, the separate valance to use when running one end without a coupler was missing from the bits that came with my model.

I've emailed Osborns Models just now but as I said to them, I'm quite gutted.  I had so been looking forward to this model in this livery!  I hope they can help me sort this out with minimum hassle.  They have a good reputation so fingers are crossed.

Not much I can do now but wait.  Like I said - ugh.

Matt

Have you seen my post number 111 above?

Hi Crepello.  Thank you.  NEM pocket was found as you described.

Valance, however, was not fitted to the loco, was not loose in box, and was not in bits bag.  So things are better, but not completely better!

Matt

I think the valance is only supplied for one end and is already fitted. This was the case on mine.

I think the valance is only supplied for one end and is already fitted. This was the case on mine.

Thanks - same here which doesn't make sense if you only want to display the model i.e valances both ends

If anyone is curious (there might be one or two of you), the Dapol N gauge Western will run on 7.5" radius quite happily and will still couple to whatever you want to pull on that radius just fine.  (Assuming of course that what you pull will handle 7.5" radius - the newer blue riband Farish Mk 1 coaches won't, for instance.)

I wasn't expecting it to be able to cope but it's fine.  I am absolutely certain, however, that 7.5" radius is the tightest curve it will be able to manage as the bogies are swung over to their full limit of travel.

I'm not sure what Dapol say is minimum radius for these locos (Farish say R2 10 3/8" radius is minimum for theirs), but whatever they say, in all my testing on tight radius curves, the Peco Collett 0-6-0 and the Farish Jubilee (the front footsteps foul the bogie) are the only locos I've found that will not manage 7.5" radius.

Matt

• RMweb Premium

Western Sovereign arrived from Liverpool this afternoon; one valence fitted and both standard couplings in the spares packet had pockets attached. The Farish short NEMs fit easily and securely.  One end has headcode 6A13 so that's good for freight workings. Anyone know which train this represents?

Western Sovereign arrived from Liverpool this afternoon; one valence fitted and both standard couplings in the spares packet had pockets attached. The Farish short NEMs fit easily and securely.  One end has headcode 6A13 so that's good for freight workings. Anyone know which train this represents?

http://www.wsr.org.uk/headcodes.htm

Class 6 express freight to London area, 13th train of the day  if i've read the link right?

• RMweb Premium

http://www.wsr.org.uk/headcodes.htm

Class 6 express freight to London area, 13th train of the day  if i've read the link right?

Thanks for that. It's actually 6A19 but I get the point. I see from Hatton's today there's some previously un-announced versions coming out--Nobleman and Glory (both blue FYE). It must be selling well--deservably so for such a good model.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone has experienced any issues with the running of the new Dapol Western, or have I been exceptionally unlucky?

Having read nothing but good things, and been very impressed by the appearance of the model (especially the glow of the headcodes), I had a play with one this weekend at a show with a view to purchasing one for my new layout. Even after swapping the bogies with 2 other westerns to find a pair that ran freely, lubricating and then running in for over 6 hours, it still wouldn't accelerate smoothly from a stand without lerching, or locking up and suddenly bursting into life, missing out the 0-20mph range. Nor would it run at a steady crawl of around 5-10mph without notching and jerking, which is unnaceptable in my eyes - my Farish 20s manage this without any probems, as did the Dapol 22 I also tested. At around 30mph and upwards, the Western ran smoothly, if not somewhat noisily however...

I'll be taking a small transformer and a few lengths of Unitrack to Warley with me now so I can test any there before I purchase, just incase!

I must offer my thanks to Crafty Hobbies of Barrow who had to put up with my rigerous quality control tests, only to find me returning it to them the next day. I wish every model shop was as understanding and helpful - I may of been dissapointed by performance of the Western, but I was delighted by their customer service and thoroughly reccomend them.

Cheers

Archived