Dapol N Gauge Western

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Hello Benn,

The blue FYE review sample I had was oiled, run at medium speed in both directions for about an hour and then ran faultlessly for two days under exhibition conditions.

I haven't heard of any other problems but in any manufacturing process there are bound to be some failures.

Cheers

Ben A.

Good to hear Ben, I will be trying several more over the coming months in my search for a decent runner so I will report my findings if anyone is interested. I hope it won't take me long, like I said I haven't heard a bad word, which is why I was so frustrated that I'd had problems! It's a model I've been waiting for for a long time, and now it's here it really looks the part.

Cheers,
Benn.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced any issues with the running of the new Dapol Western, or have I been exceptionally unlucky?

Having read nothing but good things, and been very impressed by the appearance of the model (especially the glow of the headcodes), I had a play with one this weekend at a show with a view to purchasing one for my new layout. Even after swapping the bogies with 2 other westerns to find a pair that ran freely, lubricating and then running in for over 6 hours, it still wouldn't accelerate smoothly from a stand without lerching, or locking up and suddenly bursting into life, missing out the 0-20mph range. Nor would it run at a steady crawl of around 5-10mph without notching and jerking, which is unnaceptable in my eyes - my Farish 20s manage this without any probems, as did the Dapol 22 I also tested. At around 30mph and upwards, the Western ran smoothly, if not somewhat noisily however...

I'll be taking a small transformer and a few lengths of Unitrack to Warley with me now so I can test any there before I purchase, just incase!

I must offer my thanks to Crafty Hobbies of Barrow who had to put up with my rigerous quality control tests, only to find me returning it to them the next day. I wish every model shop was as understanding and helpful - I may of been dissapointed by performance of the Western, but I was delighted by their customer service and thoroughly reccomend them.

Cheers

Hi Benn

My BFYE D1005 runs OK - not quite as smooth as my 22s but good enough to shunt with. The 22s started out like the Western but they have now become silky smooth. I have yet to oil the Western either

A tiny spot of oil on all 6 axle cogs this evening and D1005 is now almost silent and markedly smoother. Just had it shunting using the inertia mode on my Pictroller and it is a joy to use. If a loco doesn't run smooth and reliably then inertia mode is extremely frustrating.

Hi Folks,

My sand Western runs smoothly from the box though yet to run it in, a job for this week.

The green Western I received on Saturday is being returned to the more than helpful shop (Haslington Models) where I get most of my Dapol stock from.

Due to the finish on one side of the loco, the numberplate has been stuck with far too much glue as it has squeezed out way beyond the plate itself, the name plate isn't much better and it looks like the end of the plate has been bent and has been bent back so there is a kink in it.

Yet the other side is perfect.

This won't put me off buying another as it's such a good looking model.

Cheers,

Keith.

The green Western I received on Saturday is being returned to the more than helpful shop (Haslington Models) where I get most of my Dapol stock from.

Due to the finish on one side of the loco, the numberplate has been stuck with far too much glue as it has squeezed out way beyond the plate itself, the name plate isn't much better and it looks like the end of the plate has been bent and has been bent back so there is a kink in it.

Yet the other side is perfect.

That's interesting, one of the green ones I examined and then robbed a bogie off last weekend had a poor finish on one side, it had some scuff marks, a bent/partially unstuck nameplate and some excess glue... I let the stallholder know and it's been returned along with the blue one! I felt quite bad to be honest, ejecting two locos from the stall and not buying any, atleast my mate bought a 22 though, so that made up for it a bit I hope!

Here's to better luck to both of us when it comes to getting our locos then, Keith!

Cheers,

Benn.

• 2 weeks later...

Just recieved my Maroon Western and it is a great runner so far, even better than the special edition sand livery one. Looks stunning.

Interesting.  I have a desert sand one and it is superb and better than my green SYP one.  I think it is just luck of the draw what you get.

Matt

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi . Great pic - missed at the time , hope it got the cop!

Well Hattons delivered 1058 Western Nobleman - a great version in BFYE. Certain to need oiling and cleaning of some transport grease if chassis has been stored for a while. But certainly looks the part and with headcodes 1Z60 and 1O58 good for end of era, Flikr pics show it in deplorable state ...

cheers

Robert

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Weathered 1009 Western Invader arrived today and very good it is too with  tracklevel- bottom cill in a light raildust, ends grubby and buffers with grease dot on end. roof has soot and roof dirt wafted on, all in a suitable matt finish bar exhausts - lovely effort.

Perhaps the best factory version done yet- 4 colours used rather than a simple waft of rail grime. No attempt to do missing paintwork - you do need a Mercig hand for that - magic... 

I will try to get pics on later   

Robert

• RMweb Premium

Bought a weathered Invader for my dad, absolutely echo Robert's points - best factory weathered finish I've seen. Did Mercig do the 'template' for them as with some of the other models?

Thanks for the photos Robert. Decision made! Had been holding back as some previous "factory weathering" was very poor (the Hymek & milk tanks set looked like it had been driven through a muddy puddle!) but this looks very good indeed.

Cheers,

Nev.

Just seen photos of N gauge D1012 in maroon on two major retailer's websites and it appears to have white window frames around the engine room windows. Not a feature I've ever seen on any photo of the real thing (and I've seen a fair few). In fact the windows in question are "flush" and don't have frames so a bit of a mystery.

Nev

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen the weathered example of Enterprise in maroon, on the Rails website, and it appears to have no yellow panel on the nose!

Not sure this is right, anybody have any thoughts?

W.E went yellow panel whilst still in Desert Sand?

Just seen the weathered example of Enterprise in maroon, on the Rails website, and it appears to have no yellow panel on the nose!

Not sure this is right, anybody have any thoughts?

W.E went yellow panel whilst still in Desert Sand?

You're right - Nidge's excellent resource helps on finer details on any example. However Rails' description states SYP so lets hope the image is erroneous and not the description (or the model)!

WESTERN LIVERIES D1000 - D1073, December 1961 - February 1977

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Livery codes :

MNYP = Maroon / no yellow panels

MSYP = Maroon / small yellow panels

MFYE = Maroon / full yellow ends

GSYP = Green / small yellow panels

BSYP = Blue / small yellow panels

BFYE = Blue / full yellow ends

(WD) = Withdrawn from BR service

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D1000 'WESTERN ENTERPRISE' (Swindon 20/12/61)

1. Desert Sand / NYP : 20/12/61 - 5/11/62

Red bufferbeams and buffer stocks, red applied to flat area of bufferbeam and vee shaped bevelled edge at the bottom only.

Roof hatches mid-grey (in some photos this looks almost black).

Black window pillars.

Cast aluminium BR crests on secondman's cabsides.

Black name and numberplates.

2. Desert Sand / SYP : 5/11/62 - 8/10/64

Other details as above.

3. MSYP : 8/10/64 - 2/6/67

Black bufferbeams now as per standard maroon livery.

Roof hatches now black.

Window pillars grey / off white.

Cast Aluminium BR crests carried over from Desert Sand livery.

Black name and numberplates.

Small square vents cut into front skirts below buffers, fitted with wire mesh grilles behind - possibly for relocated air horns - reason unconfirmed and date of fitting not known (Photo of this mod in 'Diesels In Depth - Westerns' book) possibly plated over later on, also unconfirmed as photos of D1000 in BFYE are not that common.

Archived