Dapol N Gauge Western

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Hi Hattons advise second blue Weathered Western on its way  D1062.  

hope maroon westerns are right having gone to trouble of weathering so well. I understand Andy and Richard led on the weathering front on these whilst green 22 was Mercig orginated. Not sure on Blue but mine has lovely weathering, the tanks are as noted just wafted over with a railgrime/rust colour and a good base for more to taste! but tanks were until late on kept fairly clean. 

robert

Just seen the weathered example of Enterprise in maroon, on the Rails website, and it appears to have no yellow panel on the nose!

Not sure this is right, anybody have any thoughts?

W.E went yellow panel whilst still in Desert Sand?

Hattons list it as maroon, syp - but no photo as at 3pm today.

Rails may have used a 'stock' pic. 

Richard

Richard,

Yep, still no photo.

Went ahead and ordered one anyway, she can accompany my desert sand one......

Rails has also appeared to have sold out, i hope not through my scratchings on here. Being one of only a few weathered maroons, it will sell out quick if its as any good as the blueys are.

Well Mr Postie has just turned up with a little package from Liverpool.

Enterprise does indeed have no yellow panel, its as crimson as I bet Dapol are about to feel on this one.

luckily, I wanted to covert to D1001 or another early example with no SYP.

The weathering looks on par with the blueys, pictures have already been posted elsewhere.

Still, another job awaits, where can I get metal nameplates for re-naming?

MG

• RMweb Gold

Chaps - I'd be interested in acquiring a skirt and non NEM bogie if any one knows of a likely source (or doesn't want theirs...)

I'd like a couple of these too - the skirt in particular - ,it  would be a really useful thing to have available as spares.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Hi . I will ask DCC supplies on the Western spares front and I guess the livery error might throw up some returns which will lead to some spares in uk. For this and so many facets of the modern world , despite leglislation, spares from China are non exsistant and like the car industry we are into the breakers market.   I would love to see glazing, bogies, the little bags of goodies, PCB and motors as available parts from Bachmann and Dapol, it is good to dream ....

Robert   

Just seen some pictures of this model of Western Enterprise on another forum. I am very impressed by the weathering, certainly more comprehensive than a single pass of "Rail-Grime" with an airbrush!

Given how good the weathering is it's therefore such a shame to have made such a basic mistake with the livery as to leave the warning panel off and release it like that. Knowing how much interest was shown in it's development on this Forum both in 00 and N it is clear Western fans are a knowledgeable bunch and it was never going to go unnoticed. Difficult enough to correct it to a factory standard on a pristine model, never mind a weathered one, and no doubt we will see a number of them undergo identity changes as a result!

Roy

Roy,

Yes indeed, it does look better than the usual Dapol weathering of lots of dirty puddles.

i've had a look at my colour book collection and there are few westerns with nyp, it didn' t last long before they were repainted, hence i' m thinking that many didn't have enough time to develop much intensive weathering, which i' m afraid this one has. Most were repainted by '62 or 63 at the latest. I was gong to keep this but am not sure now, I can return under the sale of goods act as it. has been misdescribed.

Best wishes

MS

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi The crest and plates are held on by the merest of glue. The crest will be replaced by coach roundel and no damage to show.

I have got some 1007 plates plus a second "NQP" 1062 - this was a return at open day and just wanted running in having been returned as a stutterer so this will become a blue 1000..  

when renaming I always look for a long name to cover up removal... sorry if that is lazy but works for me!

happy new year

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

It would be rather wide then Alan, anyway we shouldn't need to be touching up new loco's!

I have to say it's a pretty poor show when a modeller's not prepared to do something to improve the look of a loco; after all there's detail parts to be fitted too so why not give a simple task a go? You've probably spent more time sourcing images and posting them than the time it would take to correct it.

Alternatively if it's not good enough for you then you don't have to buy it.

• RMweb Gold

I have 2 Dapol N Westerns and multiple OO versions. When the OO model came out I was critical of the oversize central windscreen pillar which has been replicated in the N gauge model. It is to me the only major outwardly apparent problem with the physical appearance of the model, in my opinion. They are generally superb lookers and is not a major distraction. I agree that silver paint could be used to mask green, maroon or yellow bar which shouldn't be there, but it won't get rid of the source problem, the pillar.

I'm hoping that Shawplan will be producing laserglaze at least for the OO Western, I've heard rumours! They would need a representation of the central pillar if they do.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

I have to say it's a pretty poor show when a modeller's not prepared to do something to improve the look of a loco; after all there's detail parts to be fitted too so why not give a simple task a go? You've probably spent more time sourcing images and posting them than the time it would take to correct it.

I think you are missing the point - the poster is pointing out the one obvious error on this model. He isn't saying he can't or won't correct it, just that its a shame its there! A bit of a harsh reply I think.

I do spend lots of time improving my loco's Andy, just pointing out this error when they were supposed to have been measured by laser. P.S. I have 16 & have repainted one already into golden ochre livery! 

post-9484-0-28982500-1421262973_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

The pillars appear to be over scale all around the front windows, perhaps this is a practical compromise for n gauge. It struck me that if the centre pillar had been represented at absolute scale it could have drawn too much attention to the outer pillars and also the windows may have appeared to be the wrong shape. It's hard to believe this was an oversight, more like a pragmatic solution to a difficult modelling problem.

Very nice paint job on the golden ochre model though, had you perhaps noticed that the locomotive behind  has somehow beamed in from the Deutches Bundesbahn and lost about 8% of it's total mass on rematerialisation. 

Peter

• 2 years later...

The performances of my two Westerns have undergone a remarkable transformation after conversion to DCC, with the slowest sustainable speed on my test track dropping from a noisy 12mph to only 0.2mph.  And this is with the relatively basic Gaugemaster DCC23 (aka Digitrax DX125IN) decoder, using the default motor settings and with shunting speed enabled on the F6 key.

The relevant settings are CV54=65 (enables shunting speed with F6 key) and back EMF settings of CV55=128, CV56=48, CV57=6 

• 10 months later...

Hello everyone,

I'm considering buying a Dapol Western in blue for my 1967 layout and seem to have the option of getting either D1005 and modifying the battery box clips to represent the pre-1974 style, or D1072 and removing the class 52 data panel and repositioning the red dot.

One the face of it the later option seems easier if I can remove a decals without damaging the paintwork (I'd rather avoid having it resprayed), but it would be more noticeable if I made a mess of it.

Has anyone had a go at remodeling the post-1974 battery box clips to represent the older style clips? Just wondering about the level of difficulty in doing that.

Cheers,

Ed

Hello everyone,

I'm considering buying a Dapol Western in blue for my 1967 layout and seem to have the option of getting either D1005 and modifying the battery box clips to represent the pre-1974 style, or D1072 and removing the class 52 data panel and repositioning the red dot.

One the face of it the later option seems easier if I can remove a decals without damaging the paintwork (I'd rather avoid having it resprayed), but it would be more noticeable if I made a mess of it.

Has anyone had a go at remodeling the post-1974 battery box clips to represent the older style clips? Just wondering about the level of difficulty in doing that.

Cheers,

Ed

To be honest, in N, they are so small, a touch of blue paint and some weathering on the larger post 74 style clips more of less renders them invisible at normal viewing distances

Archived