Dapol N Gauge Western

TomE

• RMweb Gold

On display at the International N Gauge show today was an EP for Dapol's new N Gauge Class 52. Looks just as good as its bigger brother!

IMG_1660b.jpg

IMG_1654b.jpg

Excuse the photos, only had the iPhone with me!

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

Had a chance to handle the Western. Very nice. Perhaps not clear from the photos how much of an improvement this is over existing offerings, but in the flesh it looks much much better. The windscreen pillar is especially fine, and the subtle curves around the face and the front of the cab look right to me.

The glazing is frosted because this is a first EP to check fit etc and the tool has not been polished up to produce the smooth, clear mouldings that will be needed for production.

post-420-0-07329000-1347129223_thumb.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

Talk about being spoiled... first the 22s and now this... wonderful stuff! The poor old debit card is already twitching while I'm anticipating the 4mm Western to come, but blimey this looks a peach... ;)

I'd imagine there'll be some fantastic WR layouts on the drawing board now that the 22, Hymek, Warship (Bachmann) and Western are well and truly covered...

Dapol Dave pointed out that this model not yet the finished item with some more fine tunning. Well on 74 to collect ! by name and since most had two more colours this loco will run and run ! Even more Broke - thanks Dave !

Off the top of my head Robert there are something like 189 / 190 'possible' individual releases covering the 1961 - 1977 period....

You mean its not a model of D1022 and its experimental boxpok wheels ? Im glad someone has seen the "not quite right" ness of the wheels. Lets hope they're a bit more subtle when the model comes out- other than that its lovely.

And there was me sitting on the sidelines as its not my era. I might need to get 1015 for railtour duty if its produced......

Hi D1059,

No that's a white metal wheel produced from a mould taken from the cad/cam to enable the first EP to at least have a semblance of a chassis (a rough as a dog working one at that) for the show.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave - I suspected it was an EP thing, given that the rest of the body looks fantastic even at this early stage

Not bad for a first EP, however the tooling started as the first EP for the OO one was being delivered and as such it shares the same discrepancy or 3 as its larger brother (that were corrected on the OO version), namely.....

No separate valance without coupling hole

alternate battery box clips version

chassis needs to sit within the body not the body on top of the chassis (ergo the removal of that horrid visual join line at the bottom of the body).

cheers

Dave

• 1 month later...

To be honest what this shows is that from the side the Farish model isn't that bad and old Poole GF should be congratulated for a decent representation of the class considering it's 1985 vintage.

What let it down was it's painted face and the split cowling to accommodate curves, plus the lack of DCC/lights.

Clearly with a definitive OO Dapol model duplicating it in N was always going to draw comparisons with Farish but I wouldn't want to do down what was a good model albeit a bit old in the tooth.

You did ask them first didn't you?

Of course not. While I gave credit to Hatton's, I deleted the post to avoid causing RMWeb and you any issue.

Life was so much nicer before lawyers got their grubby mitts on everything, wasn't it?

Matt

Life was so much nicer before lawyers got their grubby mitts on everything, wasn't it?

That's irrelevant; it's about not helping ones' self to the property of another; I've had to go over copyright rules so many times on here that I get annoyed when people still disregard law and the site's rules.

I apologize, Andy.

Because I like making comparisons of old and new I've assembled this side by side of the photos Tom took and posted in post #1 above with a couple snaps I personally took this evening of one of my own Poole Farish Westerns.

Even in EP form the Dapol clearly has the better shape. I am pleased to see Dapol Dave state that the chassis will sit within the body as the join line on the EP is distracting.

Woodenhead's sentiment above is accurate: given its age, the Farish model is acceptable. Would I pay £95.45 (RRP; £82 at discounters) for Bachmann's latest iteration in maroon livery? Not a chance. But clearly it is still a popular model with some given that Hatton's is now showing only 5 in stock when only a few weeks ago it indicated it had "more than 10."

Matt

post-4367-0-35683000-1350372359_thumb.jpg

Ah but more than 10 might only be 11 models.

And don't forget it's still showing as in stock at Barwell too

I'm sure as these models come out, some magazines will give an honest side by side appraisal of the 2 available in N and OO gauge, comparing prices, details, features etc.

Would be interesting to see an independents view.

Cheers

Dave

The Dapol one will obviously be a better looking model as the Farish one is now 25 years old! For its time it was a good looking model and the Bachmann / Farish version can be made to run very well, but it lacks the crispness of modern models and modern features too.

The Dapol version already seems more detailed than the Heljan OO one (especially around the bogies) and looks more convincing overall.

Archived