Dapol N Gauge Western

TomE

With respect, 25 years younger doesn't guarantee a better looking model, but probably means a better running model. I cite the Heljan 86, which at least 25 years younger than the Hornby one (at least) doesn't look as good to many people.

Thank goodness for Dapol, who brought out the best 86 and did it in the right gauge too. My 2 powered/uncovered pairs are brilliant.

I can't think of one N gauge model that this would apply to.

You're absolutely correct and I completely agree.

Newer models in N gauge are not necessarily better runners, though. I've got some 25 year old Poole Farish models (steam and diesel) that will creep along slower and more smoothly than anything new from either of the two major manufacturers. Of course, that just means I get to admire their deficient looks longer...

Matt

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Painted samples on display at Alexandra Palace. Have to say that they look fantastic, and to my eyes I think it's just as good as the Farish Blue Pullman, in looks at least. Top job Dapol!

post-1467-0-78346800-1364052652_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-12978300-1364052684_thumb.jpg

Tom.

Now that looks lovely, I feel a maroon one for 'Champion-ising' when they're release. It looks to sit very well, with some cracking detail, particularly round the roof  grill and fuel fillers. Not to sure on the wipers though, but if that's the worst thing on the model...bring it on!

Oh and what's that Colas delight I spy...mmmm

jo

I already have 2 on order. Trouble is, now I want a green one as well! :O

I was thinking of getting a green one and a blue one. I love the look of a green loco at the head of a rake of maroon coaches; but Westerns do look mighty fine in maroon too (and I had a Hornby Western in Maroon back in the day). But I'm a sucker for a bit of rail blue too. Maybe I need to get three...

• 3 weeks later...

Is D1000 Western Enterprise in Desert Sand livery a special commission for one particluar retailer or will it be available to all retailers who wish to order it into their stock?  It is not listed as a special commission on the Dapol website but given the apparently perpetual work-in-progress state of the Dapol website I am wary of the information imparted there.  Didn't there used to be a product code list on that website?  I could be mistaken.  I cannot find it now.

Hatton's does not list the Desert Sand livery as available for pre-order.  Given I am keen on this livery, especially after seeing the photos posted above, I'd like to know from where I will be able to buy one!

Many thanks,

Matt

Edit: I managed to answer my own question.  After a check of Kernow produced no joy, on a whim I checked Osborns Models and it is their commission.  For anyone else interested: http://www.osbornsmodels.com/nd-osb3-osborns-exclusive-Dapol-western-enterprise-d1000-desert-sand-livery-12625-p.asp

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but prices have gone up for these.  I pre-ordered a green one a few weeks ago at Hattons for £83.  Today I received an email notice from Hattons that the maroon one I was contemplating (but hadn't pre-ordered) would probably arrive in the shops this month and would cost... £91. 

So I checked the whole lot of them and yep, while Hattons were offering all of them for £83 (for the non-DCC versions) as recently as mid-April, all of them are now £91.  Rails of Sheffied are also quoting about that same price but since I didn't pre-order with them I can't say if their price has gone up or not.  Osborn's special commission of desert sand D1000 has not increased in price.  It's still listed for £122.

This has put paid to any plans I might have had for getting a maroon one.  I've got a desert sand one on order with Osborns along with the green one at Hattons (who will honor my pre-order price) and I'm afraid that will do it.

Both of the major N gauge manufacturers are quickly reaching (or have already reached) a price point where I think a lot of modellers are going to start re-evaluating if they really need to purchase their wares.

Matt

Both of the major N gauge manufacturers are quickly reaching (or have already reached) a price point where I think a lot of modellers are going to start re-evaluating if they really need to purchase their wares.

Sadly this is caused by inflation but more significantly by the steady decline in value of the pound.

Archived