The House in the Woods - Stubby47's 3rd Entry

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Despite already having two 2012 Challenge entries on the go (both coming on well, thanks), I saw this building on a re-run of Midsumer Murders last night and had this really strange urge to model it...

As yet I don't have permission to directly display the image of the house on here, so apologies for the link :

The House in the Woods

I know there is only a few weeks to go, but what the heck, it is a Challenge, right ?

• RMweb Gold

As I've had an emergency day's annual leave, I managed to get some modelling done.

This is the house so far, the walls for the two front extensions are ready, just need to make sure everything else is done that needs to be before I add them.

The inside of the porch is also coming on, the back wall is done, I need to add an inner wall on the right and the very obvious down pipe.

post-7025-0-60331200-1347472066_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, Stu. you've already gone wrong - your model looks far more robust than the original, which might tumble down if you sneezed near it!

I had you down for double-figures of entries in the 2011 contest - good to see you haven't lost your touch!

• RMweb Gold

Ha,ha - that front extension nearly made the whole lot go in the bin - that's the 4th attempt !

I think the roof is what makes the original look so unstable, plus the overgrown grass and open, glassless windows.

As for double figures, I'm trying to follow the "less is more" principle.

However, I'm a bit disappointed the only voting category is 'Is it good?' - I was hoping for 'Is it odd ?'

• RMweb Gold

I've had a very generous offer of some roof tiles ( just the tiles, note, not an offer to fit them !!), so I've made a start on creating the basic roof coverings.

Hopefully I can get some more done this evening.

post-7025-0-74741600-1347654359_thumb.jpg

I am very impressed by Stubby's work, quality, quantity and speed. Such, and so prolific, is his output, one wonders about the use of performance enhancing substances. :O

Could it be Mr Stubbs is, perchance, consuming performance enhancing pork pies? Or is it a perfectly grilled pork sausage that is aiding him in his modelling feats, or perhaps - more ominously - a pint (or more) of a real ale? :nono:

I think we should be told.

If Mr York permits such performance enhancing substances in the 2012 competition, then I will - quite openly and above board - ingest both single malt whiskies and lasagna verde alla bolognese to boost my performance. And I will not be above smoking the occasional Cuban Cigar - if that is what it takes to win....

iD

Seriously, that's some fine modelling going on there Stubby, I really don't know how you do it :good:

• RMweb Gold

I am happy to anounce there are no performance enhancing drugs, no pork or other pastry concoctions (esp pasties !), no sausages, no cigars or smokes of any kind, and no real or pretend ale used in the construction of my cobbled-together bits of card. Merely large quantites of chocolate...

However, I am flattered and quite chuffed that my work is seen to be of quality by such an esteemed modeller.

I think your scale rule is broken: the Freddo for comparison is a bit big to fit through the door.

On a more serious note: Are those brick papers or printed out photographs? The remaining white walls look like they're in embossed card/plastic and I'm confused. I like the colours.

• RMweb Gold

Technical Roof Question -

Given then the angle of the main roof is 30° and the angle of the dormer roof is 45°, what would be the angle I need to cut the piece of card for the dormer to meet the main roof ?

Is there a simple formula I need to apply, or is trail and error the best bet ?

TIA for all answers

Stu

Stu -

There may be a formula but the guys building my new roof don't know of one - they do it all on measurement using a roofing square.... I do it by cutting a piece of gash card 'til it fits then use that to cut the roof-base!

Regs

Ian

Archived