Are the Worsley Works GWR 4-wheel coach kits worth keeping?

VonRyan

I've started taking the photos of my fixtures in use and planning the order of construction out for wider viewing, so I can still do it, but there isn't any urgency any more. I will perhaps do it as a series of blog posts when I get down the to-do pile as far as some more of this style of coach. There have been a few manufacturers of clerestory coaches in 2mm scale but unfortunately the better ones IMO (and those were reductions) have bitten the dust over time with retirements and business sales.

I've started taking the photos of my fixtures in use and planning the order of construction out for wider viewing, so I can still do it, but there isn't any urgency any more. I will perhaps do it as a series of blog posts when I get down the to-do pile as far as some more of this style of coach. There have been a few manufacturers of clerestory coaches in 2mm scale but unfortunately the better ones IMO (and those were reductions) have bitten the dust over time with retirements and business sales.

Hence why this guy will hopefully go through with the etchings. There is also possibility that it will include provisions for compartment interiors. mostly just the walls, but perhaps also luggage racks and the seats. This all depends on if he finds the test etchings of everything satisfactory. From what i was told, everything is still in the artwork stage.

-Cody F.

I've seen someone putting together luggage racks &c. in 4mm. They were from their own etches iirc and looked quite fragile. It was the first time I saw that viaduct (can't remember the name) layout that was being covered by a blog here. Since they are above the windows they aren't something I've considered being bothering about. When did you last look up into a 2mm model coach such that you might see the roof interior!?

Masterclass coach kits have interior divisions. TBH it is not hard to add them to kits that don't include them by using the ends as a template. I could be tempted to buy some more clerestory coaches if they were corridor stock and produced in nickel silver. I already have etch tooling in place for the bogies.

He probably is doing both versions, especially since he likes adding any type of working detail that is possible in N.

The etches will most likely in brass, but he can do them in nickel silver. He'd probably do them in chrome if you asked.

as to my GWR 4-wheelers, soon to be arriving in the post hopefully, I need to figure out what decals i need, and who can paint the coaches and apply the decals...

Not to mention i need someone to take a look at my Graham Farish BR class 04 which is no longer working and i have no idea if i fried the decoder or not.

-Cody F.

Masterclass coach kits have interior divisions. TBH it is not hard to add them to kits that don't include them by using the ends as a template. I could be tempted to buy some more clerestory coaches if they were corridor stock and produced in nickel silver. I already have etch tooling in place for the bogies.

I sometimes put seats in if I am adding lighting or its got a lot of windows and is open but otherwise it seems excessive - certainly racks and the like. You can make them out of strips of fine etch mesh but why bother ?

I thought Mr Doherty was doing some clerestory GWR stock nowdays. It's on my todo list to get a few and print 3D shells to wrap them around. Then all I need is the drawings for Lord of the Isles and a bit of time to make a mock Hornby box 8)

Yes, have a Worsley Works C3 but it need s a lot of effort in extra bits and pieces found or made to get to a finished coach to the standards I aspire to and I therefore expect it will languish unbuilt for some time yet.

Fortunately I managed to acquire some 5522 and Blacksmith stuff before the ranges were pulled/sold on. Being reductions they are not perfect, but at least most of the parts are there. These are the coach kits that got me etching the Dean era bogies to go under them. I put seats in. My Beetles don't have them. I put them in some of my horse boxes but they are not really visible. They're more noticeable in a coach because of the greater number of windows, as you said.

Etched interiors in coaches is not a good idea due to weight. A representation in plasticard with balsa blocks for seats is more than adequate and weighs next to nothing.

Jerry

True, but a decent loco could pull a set of anywhere from 1 to perhaps 4 of the coaches, with etched interiors of course, grades may be a difficulty, but then DCC makes helper services more interesting.

-Cody F.

Etched interiors in coaches is not a good idea due to weight. A representation in plasticard with balsa blocks for seats is more than adequate and weighs next to nothing.

Jerry

Agreed. A friend in the 2mm North East Area Group is experimenting with cast resin seat units. The samples I have seen are rather nice, and weigh very little. He was also experimenting with integral resin seats/partitions.

Andy

Archived