Digital edition

ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

Good news that RM is now available digitally to "new and existing subscribers"

But how on earth do i view it (I am an existing subscriber). What link takes me to it and when i get there, how would I login?

• RMweb Gold

I found the instructions on the back of the address sheet. i.e. the one with the Royal Mail "stamp" and my address on it.

It did take me at least ten minutes to think of looking there !!!

I was then able to log in and see (and read) the magazine, but so far they only seem to go back to March 2012 - but I haven't really got the hang of it yet

David

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies.

for DaveF - the back of my address sheet is blank - what were the instructions?

Go to: www.exacteditions.com/print/railwaymodeller

Register using your unique 6 digit customer number (the one on the front of the sheet ).

Hope this works.

David

I found the instructions on the back of the address sheet. i.e. the one with the Royal Mail "stamp" and my address on it.

It did take me at least ten minutes to think of looking there !!!

I was then able to log in and see (and read) the magazine, but so far they only seem to go back to March 2012 - but I haven't really got the hang of it yet

David

My one goes back to November 2011 plus two special publications :)

Yet to see if they can be downloaded for offline reading.

Martin

The idea is that all the magazines are available from 'the cloud' , as long as you subscribe.

You can print or save individual pages as a pdf if you really want to.

Which rather defeats the objectives of mine - to save storage space, and to always have them available for ME.

Stewart

The idea is that all the magazines are available from 'the cloud' , as long as you subscribe.

You can print or save individual pages as a pdf if you really want to.

Not a very good or realistic idea unless you have stock in a telecommunications company. I have taken out the subscription but am not happy that I have to be connected to the digital data network over chargers just to read it in the bathroom. And that's in addition to the subscription price.

Again I would not have minded so much if Peco had not stopped making the annual discs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I downloaded the app today and had a look around. I think the app isn't as polished as the British Railway Modelling app, but is *much* better than reading a mag using their online browser based viewer which seems half-baked.

Using the iPhone 4, I've have come up with the following views. I hope they help.

• On my internet connection(s) the magazine pages are far too slow to resolve so I have to download the mag (called synchronise in this app).
  • To download a mag to read offline the instructions say to "click" on the star - for me this only works when the phone is horizontal. The star will go green when downloading (they call it synchronising)
  • Apparently to de-synchronise (delete?) the magazine click on the star again.

Plusses

• There is searchable text, you don't get this with Pocketmags
  • You get full access to all magazines!
  • Clicking on the page number in the magazine contents takes you to that page/article
  • I live in Canada so my delivery date can be wildly different each month and the postage can be steep.
  • It works!
  • The digital subscription only seems to be a similar price to British Railway Modelling, but I think that with BRM you can keep the issues after you let the subscription lapse.
  • If you have the paper copy the digital edition is free.

Minuses

• I'm not convinced that mags are being deleted from my phone when I de-synchronise them. I don't want to clog my phone up with mags I've already read.
  • They have the end date of my subscription wrong.
  • The iPhone 4 app feels slower than the British Railway Modelling app
  • The app doesn't have magazine thumbnails to make mag recognition quicker
  • I can't see whether or not I'll still have digital access to the paper magazines I have subscribed if I let my paper subscription end. If this is the case I'd rather pay the extra postage and be able to keep them

When I first looked at the app I didn't really like it, but it's grown on me quickly, and I like the fact that they have a feedback link on their about screen. The cons aren't that important, but I will to find out when I have a minute about whether or not I'll still have digital access to the paper magazines I have subscribed if I let my paper subscription end, and if de-syncing really frees up space. I'll send the lady in the Peco subs dept. a quick email.

With regards to the online "reader" via the browser, it's pretty basic but gets you around. The biggest problems are:

• You can't see all page thumbnails at once
  • There are only two page zoom settings: smallish and the width of my browser. Having a widescreen pc the zoomed in state is unusable, but on the plus side by resizing the width of my browser I can effectively zoom out a bit.

Pocketmags (Hornby Mag and British Railway Modelling)

I was going to compare this with pocketmags, but it seems their online browser is down. The pocketmags offline browser is pretty good, but it doesn't seem to be truly offline. I wouldn't be able to read mags using it on the train for example as it attempts to make an initial internet connection to verify something. If there is no internet the library isn't displayed.

This is purely a personal and in places subjective view but I hope it's useful to someone.

cheers

Has anyone actually managed to save a copy for posterity? My main reason for going digital, apart from cost, is to save storage space on all the magazines I keep in my library.

Stewart

Yup, as an existing subscriber I downloaded the Compact Layouts special edition. Like you, I want to keep the mag, but don't want to keep tripping over it!

Its ok, but had to be downloaded 2 pages at a time, so I ended up with 9 or so pdf files - not the quickest way of doing it, but I can understand why they put a limit on downloading the whole thing. Loads up ok in Acrobat 8 on an xp machine.

• RMweb Premium

Pocketmags (Hornby Mag and British Railway Modelling)

I was going to compare this with pocketmags, but it seems their online browser is down. The pocketmags offline browser is pretty good, but it doesn't seem to be truly offline. I wouldn't be able to read mags using it on the train for example as it attempts to make an initial internet connection to verify something. If there is no internet the library isn't displayed.

I've never had that problem using the Pocketmags Android app.In terms of usability Pocketmags is streets ahead of Exact Editions.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil, I was just unlucky the other day, the magazine site wouldn't load either. It was all up and running again later but I didn't have time to put an update on. Since writing he post above I've got to like the RM apple app, I really like the fact that it knows what the links are in the mag and you are able to click on them to go to a site, and the contents page is really good.

The off-line browser I was talking about is the one for the pc that allows you to read a mag without downloading each page individually.

I really like it, I'm just not able to look at mags truly off-line like you can with an apple or android app. The pc offline browser is beta, so it's not finished yet.

All in all the digital mags for me have been great, because I live in Canada. Now I can get almost a whole year's subscription digitally for the price of three mags in my local magazine shop that's an hour away from me! I'm afraid I'm becoming a magazine junky :)

• RMweb Gold

I spoke to a gentleman at Peco earlier today who told me that they went with Exact Editions because they allowed them to provide subscribers access to the back catalogue at no extra cost. They are looking to increase the number of mags available in the online back catalogue.

He also said that any magazines you synchronize (download) onto an iPhone, Android phone or a compatible tablet, will still be available for you to read after you end a subscription. however, if you end your subcription, you will lose access to the magazines if you haven't synchronized them to a mobile device, or if you view them on a pc or Mac.

Hope that helps.

• 1 year later...

I spoke to a gentleman at Peco earlier today who told me that they went with Exact Editions because they allowed them to provide subscribers access to the back catalogue at no extra cost. They are looking to increase the number of mags available in the online back catalogue.

He also said that any magazines you synchronize (download) onto an iPhone, Android phone or a compatible tablet, will still be available for you to read after you end a subscription. however, if you end your subcription, you will lose access to the magazines if you haven't synchronized them to a mobile device, or if you view them on a pc or Mac.

Hope that helps.

I feel a real twit as I subscribed to RM for a year only to find now that the subscription has been cancelled, Ican't read any of the magazines 'I paid for' I think it is rather a stupid system. I assumed the subscription would be similar to those of the other magazines. Trust RM to be different!

Regards

Veronica.

• 3 weeks later...

Me too with my Continental Modeller subscription Veronica. Replaced my iPad with a newer one and lost everything because I no longer have a subscription. For a hobby where we traditionally keep back issues of magazines, the Peco/Exact Editions format is out of step with what folks want and out of step with what we can do with the format/supplier chosen by the other mainstream model railway magazines. The Exact Editions format may well be suited to the gossip magazines which end up in the recycling after a few days but potentially undervalues Railway Modeller and Continental Modeller unless that is the route Peco has chosen to take with their publications.

My contact with Exact Editions generated a standard response:- "Exact Editions subscriptions work on an access model basis. This means you can access an archive of back issues, as well as each new issue, for the duration of your subscription. Exact Editions do not sell individual issues of magazines, nor permanent access to specific issues..Sorry I can't be of more help!". At least the writer had the decency to include an exclamation mark at the end of his "apology".

Trust RM to be different, and in my opinion not the best in this instance.

Mike

• 1 month later...

If they are still doing the download once and read forever option then pay the £2.99 and get a months subscription and download everything again including all the issues since your subscription expired and cancel it.

I've done that and hoping that its still the case. And of course if you don't mind being a couple of months behind you can just top up your issues every few months for £2.99. It does seem a crazy business model for them but is better for the end user than being charged £2.99 per back issue as per the other apps

Archived