• RMweb Gold

Looking forwards to seeing 44009 at Nottingham Neil. Very appropriate!

125 is good to go too from this end - did the final work tonight, detailing, coupling loops and works plates - final weathering tomorrow - along with a couple of hydraulic thingies...

Phil

Hi Andy

I'm doing another Mainline warship soon, I'll try and remember to take photos of the process. The plastic inserts are a bit of a pain, one broke in the process. Ideally I'd go with new wheelsets and drive gears, but I'm trying to keep this as cheap as I can.

Neil

Hello Neil,

Any progress on this please, not wanting to badger you but I'm still interested in how you do the plastic centre removal.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy

Sorry no, no further mainline warship work, I've been preparing 44009 and D1065 for the Nottingham show, amongst a huge backdrop of the day job.

The insulating plastic centres I recall being pushed out with the wheel pusher if the pin on it is slightly off centre. However, one did break, but not to the extent it couldn't be repaired with a bit of epoxy. I will move the next mainline warship up the to do list.

Neil

• Like 1

Ah, I think I get it now!

Remove wheel in its entirety, by twisting and pulling, from axle then remove centre by pushing through the axle hole.

Kerr-ching as the penny drops :D

ps Would have liked to see 1065, but this year is the first time that I cannot get to Nottingham in as long as I can remember.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Andy

Sorry for the delayed response - glad you sorted it!

D1065 went to Nottingham but didn't run, but 44009 did - I need to get them both sound chipped, as they were virtually the only locos there that weren't.

I've been working on D6 (Green full yellow) and 40 066 (Lima on Bachmann chassis) and will be locos 3 & 4 out of the Downend workshops this year, photos to follow.

Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And 44009 certainly looked the dogs whatsits on that coke hopper train Neil - acquired 3 more at the weekend at the Cheltenham show along with some more motive power.... hee hee

Phil

• Like 1

Hi Andy

D1065 went to Nottingham but didn't run, but 44009 did - I need to get them both sound chipped, as they were virtually the only locos there that weren't.

I've been working on D6 (Green full yellow) and 40 066 (Lima on Bachmann chassis) and will be locos 3 & 4 out of the Downend workshops this year, photos to follow.

Neil

I'll be very interested to see what you've done with the EE Type 4, will watch with interest.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy

Neil

Point of order m'lud.

Whernside lost it's D whilst GSYWP.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/curly42/2926698298/

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Number 5 will be D6327 in blue small yellow - a complete respray, and the front end was a complete pig to mask with all those appendages. I'm awaiting some replacement glazing as that also was rather porcine in the ability to shift it, breaking several in the process. Dapol appear to spot weld their glazing to their models. I hope a raft of suitable spares will appear along with the class 21/29 releases.

The new blue transforms these models, I've got another two to do, but will ponder on the glazing approach, I've not had a great deal of success with Maskol, but managed to keep most paint off the window frames with it.

40066 is complete with Shawplan bits (laserglaze, roof grille and cab windows) and a "nose job" as per Mostyn, the nose peak being filed away slightly to hide the fact it's too vertical. I've not attempted the Mostyn cab door enlargements, I'm in awe that they did this.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Point of order m'lud.

Whernside lost it's D whilst GSYWP.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/curly42/2926698298/

Mike.

The defence offers exhibit B m'lud

https://flic.kr/p/HAH8KQ

Neil

Edit : to be fair to Mike on one side though she was 6 one end D6 the other.

https://flic.kr/p/9kFhrJ

Always the devil is in the detail - we are both right!

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I wonder what the service was Phil? I suspect Severn Tunnel junction was involved, there is hearsay they worked there, never saw one myself,but prototype info always useful for layout rakes.

D6, 40066 and D6327 all had attention yesterday. I'd managed to source some class 22 spares, including glazing and fitted with Klear, what wonderful stuff that is, fitted laserglase in 40066 with it too. Hope to post photos of progress soon, but at a conference now until Thursday in sunny Lisbon. Fitting the 22 head codes was interesting - modelmaster - cue plenty of Anglo-Saxon vocabulary, good job I had the house to myself. The modelmaster decals have to be cut very close to the numerals or they won't fit and ping out into the carpet. They are a big improvement to the front end, and just throw away those that came with the model as they are well undersize.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder what the service was Phil? I suspect Severn Tunnel junction was involved, there is hearsay they worked there, never saw one myself,but prototype info always useful for layout rakes.

D6, 40066 and D6327 all had attention yesterday. I'd managed to source some class 22 spares, including glazing and fitted with Klear, what wonderful stuff that is, fitted laserglase in 40066 with it too. Hope to post photos of progress soon, but at a conference now until Thursday in sunny Lisbon. Fitting the 22 head codes was interesting - modelmaster - cue plenty of Anglo-Saxon vocabulary, good job I had the house to myself. The modelmaster decals have to be cut very close to the numerals or they won't fit and ping out into the carpet. They are a big improvement to the front end, and just throw away those that came with the model as they are well undersize.

Neil

I'll go with that Neil! Shame there isn't more of the rake in the picture

Look forwards to seeing some of that power running soon too

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Not an especially high quality photo (taken on an iPad in low light) of D6327 now nearing completion (a bit more weathering, pipework and crew to fit). D6 and 40066 on the last stages too with headcode discs, wipers and roof fan to fit.

I'll get the SLR out later.post-6925-0-29432200-1492241460_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 1

Not an especially high quality photo (taken on an iPad in low light) of D6327 now nearing completion (a bit more weathering, pipework and crew to fit). D6 and 40066 on the last stages too with headcode discs, wipers and roof fan to fit.

I'll get the SLR out later.attachicon.gifIMG_2039.JPG

Neil

Hi Neil,

22 looking good.I have done the same repaint myself,a bit tricky getting the yellow panel square with all the bits on front of loco.What a difference a repaint makes to the rather insipid Dapol blue.

Will you be adding some coolant streaks from the fan area? Will look forward to seeing your D6..

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil

Yes white coolant streaks is precisely the weathering needing to be done.

Decals added to D6 yesterday, nameplates fitted, just to add the headcode discs and a bit of attention to the chassis then all done.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

40 066 and D6 almost complete, save weathering the class 44 bogies and buffer beam pipework.

40 066 started life as an old Lima model and had the following modifications, Shawplan scavenger fan, windscreens, horn grilles and laser glaze. Added handrails, filed away headcode boxes and fitted headcodes "Z" one end, following ScR practice and denoting an Edinburgh bound train from Carstairs in November 1975 (I was on it, my first class 40 haulage) and 7S60 a fictional inter regional freight from Severn Tunnel junction. The top of the nose was filed to shape to remove the "tombstone' appearance of the Lima model. The Lima body fits directly onto a Bachmann chassis, and the whole body was resprayed. I will look at the cab bulkheads and dashboards, as they don't fit well to the Lima body - razor saw and epoxy here methinks.

Ive got another six or seven Lima bodies to do, next will be 40 116 with sealed gangway doors and the only one to be scrapped in green, 40 039. 40 066 is the first class 40 i had fitted shawplan bits, and I'd learnt a lot- don't carve away too much of the Lima screen, and also have learnt the hard way how to put the scavenger grilles together effectively. Of course Bachmann have never produced the "square box" ScR variant as applied to D260-266 in 1965. Several other 40s had square headcode boxes later in life at one end, presumably Glasgow works had swapped them with the original batch,

D6 was a bit more straightforward, a partial respray from a Bachmann D1 to make her economy green, and a few Shawplan bits, and plates were Fox.

I will probably weather a tad more and seal in satin varnish.

D6327 is awaiting a delivery of her crew, and will post photos when complete.

Neil

post-6925-0-14571800-1492349129_thumb.jpg

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well a brief update, D7029 (Heavily modified Hornby body on Heljan chassis) is coming along fine. Just one corner to add metal numerals, worksplates, glazing, headcodes and decals. I'm still pondering to deal with the scavenger grille- will bite the bullet this weekend, but depending on Grandson 2's imminent arrival (daughter in labour!).

I think I've stumbled on a way to quickly remove Heljan numbers, which tend to be more stubborn than most to shift. I'd just bought a number of "sharpie" permanent markers in various colours, and the green was a pretty good match for Heljan BR green. I was wanting to renumber D7097 to D7094, so I tried masking the last 7 with the marker, with the intention of fixing metal numerals over the top. To my surprise the numeral magically vanished in front of my eyes. I removed all of the marker pen ink with acrylic thinners and indeed it had vanished! Minimum pressure needed, and not a sign of the gloss sheen normally associated with the normal cocktail stick/T-cut method.

So I set on a few Bachmann body shells in green, first a Warship then a 44 in blue. The results on the Bachmann models were less pleasing, but still equal to the cocktail stick approach but much more controllable as you are holding a pen. So will try this on more Heljan Hymeks as a fair few still to do. I can only assume the Sharpie solvent attacks the Heljan numerals very well, but not so well Bachmann decals.

Edit : just off out with Grandson 1 who's staying with us to see 60103 to the west of Westerleigh junction :)

Neilpost-6925-0-81300400-1495220795_thumb.jpg

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 2