• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been tardy in updating this thread, but it's not due to a lack of modelling I can assure you.

Rather than start a large number of new projects the line is now to complete them one at a time (best plans etc, but I'll try and stick to it).

I'm building a rake of catfish/dogfish in mixed gulf red and black liveries from the excellent Cambrian stable, as well as some Herrings. To add the icing on the cake so to speak is a ballast brake bringing up the rear. Rather than just add another RTR Shark, I decided to shamelessly copy Jim Smith-Wright's Brettel road oyster, which has a longer cabin and shorter verandas and different W irons and running boards compared to the derived shark. Microstrip and scalpels were taken to the Cambrian kit, and whilst I don't have Jim's finesse (I had to fill the cabin sides with milliput, sand flat and scribe in the planks again) I'm fairly pleased with it.

Full credit to Jim for his method is here

http://www.p4newstreet.com/the-origin-of-species.html

Mine is again fitted with MJT W irons, and unlike the Brettel road model has footboards as per 1970s oysters. The prototype this will be based on, in gulf red livery, is found at Paul Bartlett's excellent zenfolio resource

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/oyster/hE6F13EA#he6f13ea

The eagle eyed among you will spot that the roof and chassis have yet to be fitted as are the ploughs and associated handwheels in the cabins, I've pencilled lines where the handrails need to go. All is in primer except the chassis, and Halfords red oxide primer is a pretty good match to Paul's photo in my eyes so I may not bother with a Phoenix top coat of gulf red. It's taken many hours as a relative novice kit builder, but extremely enjoyable - I have a further ten or so wagons of Parkside and Cambrian origins on the go, and really fun and easy to put together they are too (well I needed two pairs of hands with the Parkside 21T rebodied hoppers but that's another story). I've just received another Csmbrian shark today, and a black liveried oyster will join her sister for the Herring rake.

Neilpost-6925-0-73385700-1477427140_thumb.jpg

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Updates to the oyster build. Scruffy gulf (engineers) red has appeared, decals applied, some weathering done, still more needed. Handrails, couplings and pipework to be done but has progressed this weekend.

post-6925-0-87881200-1477914604_thumb.jpg

Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Another project (number 6 on the to do list) that was worked on this weekend is the Hornby Hymek detailing project. I've used up some spare Heljan chassis parts (boiler tanks and bogie side frames), and fettled the Hornby body to fit the spare Heljan chassis. It does almost perfectly, save needing to carve off two internal strengthening struts that ensured the Hornby body grabbed the rather rudimentary chassis. If you remember, this was my 1974 birthday present, which I could not part with. The Hornby shell has reprofiled windows, cab roof area, added marker lights and is sprayed in primer to highlight any imperfections. I'm really pleased with the quality of the old Tri-ang/Hornby shell, all those play worn scratches have now gone. I've still to put in some work on the roof, allowing the boilers and maybach to breathe and a Shawplan scavenger fan etch. It will become D7029, the first Hymek I recorded in my notebook in July 1974 storming through Bristol parkway from South Wales towards London with a parcels train. The model in the foreground is of course an out of the box Heljan model for comparison.

I'm pleased that Heljan have released new Hymeks, which should mean that spares should be imminent. I've picked up more Heljan chassis- actually the class 26/27/33 chassis can be easily modified to a Hymek chassis as it has the same wheelbase. Don't throw those old Hornby shells away- with increasing costs of new models, revamped old models still can be made into something worthy of the prototype. Plus of course it's huge fun seeing the classic lines of a Hymek emerge from an old and favourite toy as the project progressed.

Neilpost-6925-0-76213700-1477931006_thumb.jpg

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well a festive week of too much food, alcohol, but much needed recharging the batteries. I've given the layout a massive overhaul, and the top deck is running fairly well, still some track cleaning to be done, but will start a thread on the layout in the new Year.

The rolling stock additions are progressing slowly but steadily, I've been building lots of Parkside PC02A diag 1/039 & 1/044 10' WB wagons for the Clayliner rake, interspersed with Hornby Ex LNER and Cambrian D1375 ex SR 13T highs, all which were used on the St Blazey-Stoke flows (aka 6/7M53/5 with return 6/7V53/5. I hope to build a sheeted rake and return empties. As a consequence I'm selling all of my Bachmann RTR clay tipplers which are largely incorrect for this traffic. Some of the 1/039s are to be fitted with roller bearings, the correct pattern I've obtained from 51L with springs from MJT. I hope to display a few completed wagons soon.

A quick build (well for me) this week has been a Cambrian converted ex SECR Dance Hall brake, masquerading as a ballast (staff) brake van. This one went into the spray booth this afternoon, and looks rather nice in Olive drab with grey roof. Glazing tomorrow's task although driving to South Devon for a few days.

post-6925-0-66367000-1482871249_thumb.jpg

The next task today was test driving a Genesis brake tender, this one short body/Stanier bogies 1/557. The kit came with incorrect BR B1 bogies, so these are Bachmann Staniers , which will be truncated as those couplings just have to go, then handrails/wheels and decals to do. Diag 1/555 and 1/556 on the go as well, and I've obtained MJT heavy duty Gresley bogies for the 1/555 which are much more accurate than the Hornby Magazine version. The tender ran smoothly throughout the layout, so will proceed to the next stages. Bath road's 25 227 did the honours, as well as test running some fresh out of the workshop Bachmann tubes, and a rejigged 3H Coke wagon to join my new Hornby rake. A brake tender will be included in my version of the ISC smelter (Avonmouth) coke trains that used to run regularly from South Wales in the 1970s. A task I will give my Hymek and class 37 fleet.

post-6925-0-48298100-1482872123_thumb.jpg

Neil

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The Genesis 1/557 (Marcroft built) diesel brake tender now approaching completion.

Still to do lamp irons, handrails and brake wheels. I've spent a few minutes trying to locate a purchase from 51L this afternoon to no avail which included the correct pattern brake wheels- they will turn up (I hope).

Still to complete is the 1/555 with heavy duty Gresley bogies (the MJT castings need a bit of a rework to get the wheels in), and a 1/556 long body Stanier bogies. They've been getting some attention the past week.

Some pitfalls along the way with the Marcroft tender. The bogie mounting points needed adjusting in order to get the Stanier bogies to fit, they are Bachmann spares, and I'm quite pleased with how they are mounted. They are bolted on, but some degree of suspension is provided by mounting the bogie on some fishing rubber rig tubing! The bolts grip the white metal well, ably assisted with PTFE tape. The fox transfers are lovely, although the "XP" decal is a trifle too big, I've still yet to add more decals. The yellow warning panels, don't try and shortcut this by not using the white backing transfer- guess how I know this! Although the Genesis kit is overwidth, but I'm pleased with the results.

A bit of a cosmetic shot here, 823 is an unpowered mainline warship I've recently picked up for a tenner, as it has a rather excellent weathering job. I will endeavour to power this up at some point this year.

The ballast brake van (a Cambrian kit) is now nearly complete needing decals and weathering, and is behind 823.

post-6925-0-90687400-1483460628_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 4

The Genesis 1/557 (Marcroft built) diesel brake tender now approaching completion.

Still to do lamp irons, handrails and brake wheels. I've spent a few minutes trying to locate a purchase from 51L this afternoon to no avail which included the correct pattern brake wheels- they will turn up (I hope).

Still to complete is the 1/555 with heavy duty Gresley bogies (the MJT castings need a bit of a rework to get the wheels in), and a 1/556 long body Stanier bogies. They've been getting some attention the past week.

Some pitfalls along the way with the Marcroft tender. The bogie mounting points needed adjusting in order to get the Stanier bogies to fit, they are Bachmann spares, and I'm quite pleased with how they are mounted. They are bolted on, but some degree of suspension is provided by mounting the bogie on some fishing rubber rig tubing! The bolts grip the white metal well, ably assisted with PTFE tape. The fox transfers are lovely, although the "XP" decal is a trifle too big, I've still yet to add more decals. The yellow warning panels, don't try and shortcut this by not using the white backing transfer- guess how I know this! Although the Genesis kit is overwidth, but I'm pleased with the results.

A bit of a cosmetic shot here, 823 is an unpowered mainline warship I've recently picked up for a tenner, as it has a rather excellent weathering job. I will endeavour to power this up at some point this year.

The ballast brake van (a Cambrian kit) is now nearly complete needing decals and weathering, and is behind 823.

attachicon.gifIMG_1933.JPG

Neil

Hi Neil,

The Mainline Warship looks good,does it have the ship's crest?

I have backdated an ancient Mainline Warship to disc headcode configuration.Needless to say,the motor packed up years ago.Do you have any ideas/advice on how to motorise it,what do you have in mind for yours?

Cheers,

Neil.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil

Yes I've given it some thought- the mainline motor housing looks too small for a DVD motor (my scheme for remotoring Lima diesels). I plan to double motor it, or use a Bachmann chassis as I've got some spare bits from a D804 model that suffered Mazak rot.

I will look further into this, as I have a few Mainline warships of old.

823 does indeed have the HMS Hermes crest, it's at the far end!

Neil

Hi Neil

Yes I've given it some thought- the mainline motor housing looks too small for a DVD motor (my scheme for remotoring Lima diesels). I plan to double motor it, or use a Bachmann chassis as I've got some spare bits from a D804 model that suffered Mazak rot.

I will look further into this, as I have a few Mainline warships of old.

823 does indeed have the HMS Hermes crest, it's at the far end!

Neil

Neil,

Thanks for the info. A DVD motor sounds intricate! I was wondering if the current R/Road motor bogie might fit.

I took my time with the Craftsman disc h/c fitting,it's panned out ok. My plan is to use a D804 model for a 2nd conversion,even though the Mazak curse has struck,although not too badly.

Second hand traders still seem to ask for daft prices for Mainline 42's...

Didn't know the Hermes crest was available,could be one on the to do list..

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Didn't know the Hermes crest was available,could be one on the to do list..

Neil

It was on the original model Neil...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mainline+D823&view=detailv2&&id=90566F1A843433D03896E1DE52A70A4721F5EFCB&selectedIndex=1&ccid=pPtEp%2f5u&simid=608000528108422293&thid=OIP.Ma4fb44a7fe6ec0788188b226924a965fo0&ajaxhist=0

Mainline did a pretty good job....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

The Hermes crest was printed on the mainline model Neil, as you say I don't recall an etched plate being available.

Despite being non-motorised, I was pleased with the purchase, it has been well weathered.

Edit Phil beat me to it!

Neil

Edited by Downendian

Hi Phil,

That jogged my memory,I did have a couple of those way back when.Think I had a green one,Highflyer maybe?

A great model for it's day..

Neil

The Hermes crest was printed on the mainline model Neil, as you say I don't recall an etched plate being available.

Despite being non-motorised, I was pleased with the purchase, it has been well weathered.

Edit Phil beat me to it!

Neil

Yep,remember it now,and being pleased with a really decent Warship model.

As said previously,would like to know in the fullness of time how you motorise Hermes!

Neil

Yep,remember it now,and being pleased with a really decent Warship model.

As said previously,would like to know in the fullness of time how you motorise Hermes!

Neil

Same here, got a lovely weathered Kelly with a knackered pancake, would be great to sort it out
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gives me the shivers that photo Phil! , my mainline warships, bought for the princely sum of £9 each, remain intact!

I've just bitten the bullet and ordered one of those Hornby railroad warships for £39. purely for experimental purposes to see if D823 can be remotored. The Hornby model is no oil painting! All in the spirit of saving those super mainline bodies.

I will see if it's easy to rewheel, as I have some spare Bachmann wheels and plenty of mainline bits. I don't like the look of those Hornby wheels either.

I've spent a fair bit of today on the brake tender projects, hope to update soon.

Neil

• Like 2

Hi Neil,

The Mainline Warship looks good,does it have the ship's crest?

I have backdated an ancient Mainline Warship to disc headcode configuration.Needless to say,the motor packed up years ago.Do you have any ideas/advice on how to motorise it,what do you have in mind for yours?

Cheers,

Neil.

Presumably another option would be to take out the gears and use it as a free-running unpowered loco for double heading - I've never tried this but it is a thought.

Funnily enough I stumbled over an old Craftsman conversion kit for the disc front Warship when I went to a Toyfair in Newark on New Year's Day - for a fiver it would have been rude to leave it in the tray! Is this how you did yours?

John.

Presumably another option would be to take out the gears and use it as a free-running unpowered loco for double heading - I've never tried this but it is a thought.

Funnily enough I stumbled over an old Craftsman conversion kit for the disc front Warship when I went to a Toyfair in Newark on New Year's Day - for a fiver it would have been rude to leave it in the tray! Is this how you did yours?

John.

Evening John,

Yep,a double header would look good,would remind me of seeing them belting through Southall when I were t'lad...

I tried the Craftsman conversion a while ago,went at it like a bull in a china shop and the donor Mainline 42 was a write off.Lesson learned.Had one more Mainline left,so tried again.Took a lot more time,checking cut on front as I went,and it has panned out quite well.It's in u/coat till I get a can of diesel green,will be D811.The extra lamp on the nose needs careful lining up.

A fiver? Can't go wrong!! Will you use Mainline or Bachmann for yours?

Neil

Evening John,

Yep,a double header would look good,would remind me of seeing them belting through Southall when I were t'lad...

I tried the Craftsman conversion a while ago,went at it like a bull in a china shop and the donor Mainline 42 was a write off.Lesson learned.Had one more Mainline left,so tried again.Took a lot more time,checking cut on front as I went,and it has panned out quite well.It's in u/coat till I get a can of diesel green,will be D811.The extra lamp on the nose needs careful lining up.

A fiver? Can't go wrong!! Will you use Mainline or Bachmann for yours?

Neil

That's a good tip. Probably a Bachmann one as I have an Onslaught in green, but no Mainline ones in that colour.

Interesting that some carried the SYP before conversion to standard four part headcodes, there are a few pics around the place, and some thought will be needed as to choosing this option.

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday some exploratory surgery was undertaken on the freshly arrived Limby warship whose innards will be donated to the mainline D823. I've a further two mainline warships that will get the same treatment if successful.

Having stripped the Hornby and Mainline models down the first finding was that the mainline driving wheel gears don't mesh with the Hornby power bogie. So, if I'm to use the mainline bogies new gears will need to be fitted. Hornby spare gears duly ordered. On inspection of the mainline gears, I found one reason why this loco was a non runner- both driving wheel gears spun relatively freely on the axle, and one set was split.

Some further ordering of kit was needed, a wheel puller to extract the mainline wheels, and new blades for my piercing saw. These are needed as the Mainline chassis will need surgery to get the Hornby power bogie to fit. The bogie will be held in place with some right angled brass strip, fettled to mimic the Hornby model. The Mainline bogie frames fit quite well to the Hornby power bogie, just as well as the Hornby versions are shocking! The mainline frames however won't fit the Hornby wheels, again just as well as they don't look a touch on their 1980s counterparts.

So although I've been diverted a bit off the project priorities, it looks like this will work, I'm going to transfer all the innards to the modified Mainline chassis, including DCC socket. The Mainline pickups will be used and adjusted/replaced as necessary.

A cheaper option would be to buy just the power bogie, but can't seem to find them anywhere at the moment, so the sub £40 Hornby warships will serve as donors. I hope to take photos as soon as all the bits/tools arrive and the mods done.

Neilpost-6925-0-89955000-1484495401_thumb.jpg

post-6925-0-45868500-1484495892_thumb.jpg

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I must stop doing this, getting side tracked onto new projects.

I spent much of this afternoon on the converted Mainline warship project, but it was fun. The Fohrmann wheel pullers and pushers arrived mid week (thoroughly recommended tools) , and I've taken apart the Mainline and Hornby wheel sets. I removed the final drive gear from the Hornby axles and transferred to the mainline axles. The Hornby axles are larger, and the gear was fixed using araldite, a bit of a bodge but I couldn't source the required brass final drive gears, but neverless they all look too expensive for this project. The Mainline bogie baseplate with a bit of fettling clipped nicely onto the Hornby drive unit. However, the inboard brake blocks were a very tight fit, and I filed them back a bit- may need some more when I wire it up.

I then set about surgery on the Mainline body, cutting the plastic with a fret saw to a sufficient size to accommodate the new drive unit. I then made a cradle support for the drive unit by bending some Albion alloys 1/2 x0.032" by 130mm brass strip in my hold and fold. The brass curved slightly, but anything thinner I would be nervous re the strength. I added a couple of small strips of curved plastic (snipped off a plastic PTFE tape dispenser) to act as bogie pivots and araldited to the underside of the brass bracket. With great care I then aradited the bracket to the suitably fettled chassis, after drilling a 4mm hole, that was enlarged with a rat tail file so that the drive unit fitted easily. Whilst setting, I packed the underside of the bufferbeam with paper and made sure all was square using the spirit level on my iPhone. It's all setting off hard now.

The rewiring and test running is next on the to do list, but I think this was quite a simple conversion. I just need some more cheap Hornby warship drive units for my other Mainline warships. I think those will be fitted with Shawplan scavenger fan grilles, and I will have revived some old 1980s models that have languished in their boxes since the 1980s.

Neilpost-6925-0-26232900-1485113085_thumb.jpg

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 3

What it possibly a silly question if I may.

If the Hornby axles are bigger, it follows that the Mainline wheels have a smaller axle hole than the Hornby ones. Would it not be possible to ream this out a bit and simply fit the Mainline wheels (which I assume look better), to the Hornby axles in the power bogie?

I did notice that Peters Spares have in stock the new style Hornby 90 power bogie, and I wonder if in fact this is the same as Warship one given the similar wheelbase, apart obviously from the side moulding which you would change anyway?

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson