As a follow on from my last post, I have now ordered one of the 90 powerbogies, as I realised I had enough other things of interest to do an order from the supplier.

When it turns up I'll measure the wheelbase and see what it actually is, I think we'd like 42mm (10ft 6in) for a Warship, although a 90 should be 10ft 9in.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

• RMweb Gold

What it possibly a silly question if I may.

If the Hornby axles are bigger, it follows that the Mainline wheels have a smaller axle hole than the Hornby ones. Would it not be possible to ream this out a bit and simply fit the Mainline wheels (which I assume look better), to the Hornby axles in the power bogie?

I did notice that Peters Spares have in stock the new style Hornby 90 power bogie, and I wonder if in fact this is the same as Warship one given the similar wheelbase, apart obviously from the side moulding which you would change anyway?

John.

Yes entirely possible, although through fiddling around I had to pull the mainline wheels off a couple of times, and they are now "looser" on the axle and I've had to regauge them.

The Hornby wheelbase is obviously slightly smaller (by 1mm or so) to the mainline, otherwise the brake blocks would have fitted better. The £39 Hornby warships are back in stock at Hattons, ive just ordered a couple more. Two more mainline warships are due in the Downend workshops.

Edit the Hornby wheels are a disaster, too large a diameter, need blackening and lack holes.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

The Hornby class 90 has a 44mm wheelbase IIRC. I used the side frames for a 87 remotor job I did and they are longer than the Heljan bogie. The 90 uses the same motor as the 91.

My Plan B was to see how bad these look on a kit built 76 using larger spoked wheels, which should be 46mm wheelbase, if they were too long for a Warship. Probably won't work either, but at £14 will hopefully be of some use one day!!

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

My package from Peters Spares has now arrived and been inspected.

The new style 90 power bogie has a wheelbase of 43mm, based on the distance between wheel centres. The bogie moulding for the 90 strangely has axlebox centres at nearer to 44mm, so the axleboxes aren't in perfect alignment with the wheel centres - go figure that one! As supplied at just over £14, the power bogie isn't wired up and so doesn't go when placed on the track, something that threw me for a few minutes. The wheel diameter is 15mm (and perhaps a smidge), and the wheels don't have holes.

I haven't dug out a Mainline 42 to see how well this would fit, but the design in principle is as shown above off the Limby 42, and so should be OK.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I've dug out D1065 to complete this model after a summer tidy up had temporarily separated body from chassis, and the body had been mislaid. I'm crewing the fantastic Abbotswood junction at the Nottingham show in March, D1065 must be done by then, buffers, pipework some touch ups to bodyside paint, and Loksound decoder just ordered.

Heljan body heavily weathered/modified married to a Dapol chassis.

post-6925-0-33861900-1486915115_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Glad you found her Neil!

Absolutely in line for a run out at Nottingham.... and how about some appropriate local power in the form of 44009? Am aiming to have some myself in the form of D125 and D8175. Mighty impressed with the running of those Heljan B tanks yesterday - will have to try and get at least a part rake together by then, and if we pool our coke hoppers that should make up a decent train too...

Thanks again for help yesterday - looking forwards to Nottingham already!

Phil

Well I've dug out D1065 to complete this model after a summer tidy up had temporarily separated body from chassis, and the body had been mislaid. I'm crewing the fantastic Abbotswood junction at the Nottingham show in March, D1065 must be done by then, buffers, pipework some touch ups to bodyside paint, and Loksound decoder just ordered.

Heljan body heavily weathered/modified married to a Dapol chassis.

attachicon.gifIMG_1969.JPG

Neil

I did a Hornby one to a similar standard of grottiness many years ago, don't think I have any pics, but will look. Sold it in Ebay a couple of years ago.

• RMweb Gold

I have 3 Lima and 2 Hornby Westerns stored somewhere, bought when they first came out.

I've a fledgling plan to use them (well Lima at least) to put together a scrap train movement of 1974-6 vintage. I saw such a sad procession in March 1975 with D1005 hauling D1029 and D1044 through Temple Meads with presumably a move from Laira to Swindon.

A fair few projects in front of that one though.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

And here's one of those "funeral processions" D1040 hauling D1052, D1026 and D1059 through Wootton Bassett from my collection. I bid on a better shot of the approaching consist but lost it.

29th November 1975

Neil

post-6925-0-19374900-1486974590_thumb.png

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

Very sad Neil and a very appropriate thing to model

But not as bad as cutting up warships and loading them into 16 tonners :mosking:  :mosking:

Have a funeral procession in mind for Abbotswood too...75002 75006 75013 92138 en route to Birds at Long Marston hauled by D1725 

Isnt something you often see modelled.

Phil

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Neil,

Can you please tell me how you removed the mainline wheels from their axles using the tools you have?

The wheels seem to have a plastic moulded insert to create the dished effect with no obvious axle end to push out.

Rgds,

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy

Yes I know exactly what you mean.

The inserts came away with the axles, and although some become separated they all reassembled OK. The plastic inserts can't be removed too many times, as one wheelset is a bit "loose" and I've needed to regauge it. If it presents a further problem I'll try a dab of aradite to hold in place.

Neil

Hi Andy

Yes I know exactly what you mean.

The inserts came away with the axles, and although some become separated they all reassembled OK. The plastic inserts can't be removed too many times, as one wheelset is a bit "loose" and I've needed to regauge it. If it presents a further problem I'll try a dab of aradite to hold in place.

Neil

Thanks Neil,

But I'm still not sure how to get the wheels off the axles using similar tools to those you have?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy

I'm doing another Mainline warship soon, I'll try and remember to take photos of the process. The plastic inserts are a bit of a pain, one broke in the process. Ideally I'd go with new wheelsets and drive gears, but I'm trying to keep this as cheap as I can.

Neil

Hi Andy

I'm doing another Mainline warship soon, I'll try and remember to take photos of the process. The plastic inserts are a bit of a pain, one broke in the process. Ideally I'd go with new wheelsets and drive gears, but I'm trying to keep this as cheap as I can.

Neil

Thanks Neil.

• RMweb Gold

So Neil and I have both been working on Peak 125....

She acquired centre box headcode (no split) on one end in the early 70s....is that how you are doing her Neil?

Still split centre box both ends late 60s so that's how ours will be turned out....

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I scrapped the thinned down Craftsman class 37/40 split boxes on one end as they were noticeably bigger than the new tooling split box peaks Phil. I have some Genesis headcode boxes to use, so really no further than that. I may just use a "spare" centre split box model that I have. My first was renumbered to 58 The Kings own Royal border regiment. My aim to is model every peak I saw on the first few official days spotting in July 1974, 125 was one of them.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice plan!

I have D15 split box centre door for exactly the same reason - seen on 3rd Sept 1967 at BNS in Blue, was one of our early locos, Mark Begley did it for me and encountered exactly the issues you describe with the Genesis split box castings. Suspect will get redone at some stage with a more correct Bachmann produced split box loco. Which reminds me....must remember to change the cab door handrails on her, D11 to D15 had the long flat pattern as fitted to D1-10, not the later shorter round pattern

Phil

• 3 weeks later...