Rail-served dairies in Suffolk, 1950s

The Nth Degree

Where there any? I'm sure there must have been as the LNER was the third biggest milk haulier in early 20thC and most of that came from East Anglia but I can't find any references to one online, especially in the late 50s/early 60s.

I'll admit, any that existed were probably small compared with those in the west, but I'd really like to have a couple milk tanks running around. If anyone knows any, and what the company (or group) was I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I've never been sure if the Unilever site at Needham Market was once a diary. It was right next to the station alongside the GER main line and I'm sure it had rail access. I took some photos of the road side years ago after it shut but before the site was cleared.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=52.153517,1.05421&spn=0.001912,0.005284&t=h&z=18

Ivan

Hi The Nth Degree,

there is an LNER forum thread about this topic: http://www.lner.info....php?f=5&t=4465

So United Dairies / Unigate.

I believe there was one as Halesworth or Bungay. I can't remember which, but it is in one of my Middleton Press books. I will look it up later and get back to you.

It was at Halesworth station. Track plan here: http://www.signalbox...rams.php?id=317 (roughly BR steam period) but I don't know where exactly the loading point was.

Felix

Where there any? I'm sure there must have been as the LNER was the third biggest milk haulier in early 20thC and most of that came from East Anglia but I can't find any references to one online, especially in the late 50s/early 60s.

I'll admit, any that existed were probably small compared with those in the west, but I'd really like to have a couple milk tanks running around. If anyone knows any, and what the company (or group) was I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Steve

Milk was loaded into tankers at the United Dairies facility at Halesworth, which was located at the back of the up platform on the site of the Southworld Ralway. See "An Illustrated History of the East Suffolk Railway" by John Brodribb (OPC ISBN0860935728 First pub 2003).

In the 1950's milk was also transported in churns as well as tankers and there are a number of photographs of the milk train heading for the United Dairies processing plant at Ilford (opposite the emu depot), including milk tanks, road vehicles on flats and vans in e.g. the various Dr Ian C Allen books.

Milk in tankers was also sent to Ilford from North Elmham on the Wells-next-Sea branch, being tripped to Norwich for onward shipment to Ilford. I'm not sure when Ilford depot closed, but I have a photo of the depot dated 1977 with a number of milk tankers in view.

Milk tankers would also be seen in empty stock trains, Dr Allen photographed B1 61001 Eland at Snape Junction with LMS and GWR milk tankers, LMS Stanier full brake, Gresley bogie pigeon van and Southern PMV.

Paul

I've never heard of Needham having a dairy flow but Stowmarket (my home shack) had a flow of tanks between its Co-op (CWS?) bottling plant and Acton. "The Creamery" as it was known locally was fed off a spur from the Down yard I believe.

C6T.

Milk in tankers was also sent to Ilford from North Elmham on the Wells-next-Sea branch, being tripped to Norwich for onward shipment to Ilford. I'm not sure when Ilford depot closed, but I have a photo of the depot dated 1977 with a number of milk tankers in view.

This 1978 shot also shows milk tankers in residence suggesting it was still in use at the time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12064036@N04/3497767650/

I've never heard of Needham having a dairy flow but Stowmarket (my home shack) had a flow of tanks between its Co-op (CWS?) bottling plant and Acton. "The Creamery" as it was known locally was fed off a spur from the Down yard I believe.

C6T.

I understood there were only two locations in East Anglia where milk was loaded directly via purpose built facilities into rail milk tankers, at North Elmham, Norfolk and Halesworth, Suffolk, which I understood was the last loading depot and closed 19th April 1965, so interested to know more about the facilities at Stowmarket.

Milk in churns was sent from most(?) East Anglia stations over the years and at Hatfield Peverel, Essex, Lord Rayleigh's Dairy had a milk processing depot on the down side of the line. There is an interesting film dated 1938 (at 9min into film) at http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/1367 which shows milk arriving by road vehicle from farms, being processed, tested etc before being dispatched in bottles and churns by road and in churns by rail, in vans, including in the film is N-7 0-6-2T 970 waiting to depart, presumably to Ilford?

Did Stowmarket handle milk in rail tankers as at North Elmham and Halesworth or as per the film sequence at Hatfield Peverel?

Paul

This 1978 shot also shows milk tankers in residence suggesting it was still in use at the time.

http://www.flickr.co...N04/3497767650/

Presumably the Ilford plant processed milk in rail tankers from the West Country, as according to D I Gordon in his book Regional History Vol 5 The Eastern Counties, Halesworth was the last point in East Anglia for loading rail milk tankers and that closed on 19th April 1965.

Paul

Thanks all so far, very interesting and has more than justified having a couple tanks on my line passing through Westerfield. However, can't find any specific info on the web using a variety of search strings. It would be great to find a shot of the creamery, or a least a tanker or two somewhere in the late 50s/early 60s.

However, I've found some great properties on Dairy Hill and The Old Creamery!

Thanks Simon, I'll look out for that. I'm hoping that 'Ipswich to Saxmundham' by Middleton may have a pic or two in it as it covered the line both passenger and freight. Also, I 'may' have got myself a J15 but I'll have to wait until confirmed. I'm not sure they would have been in extensive use by '58 (maybe replaced by 24s?) so I'll have to find that out.

Just for a bit of background, the information I'm gathering here is for this proposed layout:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59361-westerfield-suffolk-1958-to-1963/

Most of the local freight was taken over by 204hp shunters (03 and 05) due to weight. There were some 24's but I've seen more evidence of 15's and 30's on the freight.

Thanks Simon, I half expected it would be more likely to be CLass 15s than 24s. Incidentally, I have two shunters - an 02 and an 04. Just my luck! There was one 04 allocated to Ipswich but I'm not sure where it worked, probably Ipswich Dock?

Yes, and I believe they were fitted with skirts too. I have seen photos of an 03 at Ipswich dock, so it is possible that non-skirt fitted 04's were seen occasionally. I'm sure that 04's were seen out on the branches, but I haven't seen any photos. I will have a flick through my books to see if I can spot an 04.

Presumably the Ilford plant processed milk in rail tankers from the West Country, as according to D I Gordon in his book Regional History Vol 5 The Eastern Counties, Halesworth was the last point in East Anglia for loading rail milk tankers and that closed on 19th April 1965.

I think you are correct. Presumably they were tripped around north London. By the time of the photo I think that only the west country (and possibly the south-wales) milk trains remained.

I'll take a look tomorrow, kids homework tonight I'm afraid and it's down at my house.

In addition to the photographs of milk trains in Dr Ian Allen five published books, there are a number of photographs of milk trains in the J.D. Mann series of booklets and includes a photograph of longest train of milk tankers in East Anglia I have seen.

The photograph was taken by J Davenport at Ipswich in the Winter of 1951 with a down milk train hauled by B17 61672 West Ham United with: six milk tankers, BG, five milk tankers and BG. I'm sure I have seen comment that there as a maximum number of milk tankers to a brake van, which may explain the BG in the centre of the tankers, or it could be that the train was split at Ipswich, with half proceeding to Halesworth and the other half to North Elmham. Has anyone any comment?

In contrast there is a excellant photograph of streamlined B17 61670 City of London on the up milk at Witham, hauling two milk tankers and BG. The loco has British Railways on tender, which dates the photo between August 1948 and October 1950 when the streamlined casing was removed.

Paul

Archived