Dapol Western breaks cover at Steam Swindon

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Impossible to resist!

The question isn't "shall I buy one" but "how many can I afford?"

I was thinking of getting a couple of Heljan Westerns I spotted at a good discount, but it just isn't going to happen now.

That 52 looks absolutely stunning.

Hi Andy / Dave, You guys have really set standards and broken them again havent you..... what a beautifull beautifull loco....

I think customer applied wipers would be a better option because, as you say, they were quite often in many positions. On D1015 we had new wiper motors fitted so they always (usually :nono: ) return to the parked position. Quite often the motors would leak or be weakened and the wiper would end up all over the place, even beyond the winsdscreens to the sides on occasions.... or missing. Also, seperately applied wipers allow any modeller who choses to do so to model one of the wiper experiment styles (D1055, D1006, D1039) without having to remove factory fitted ones.

Also you can give us a choice on where to have them giving, what is to be fair, a very standard locomotive a bit of individuality.

I can see you've added the under body pipework as was suggested..... fantastic.....

It was good to see you guys, fascinating to watch you atwork..... and a marvel to see the results.....

Now.... what about a Class 74 :declare: :declare:

Mark

Hi Mark, I was there on the scanning day too so a belated thanks for your courtesies!

To be fair the wipers are rarely in such a symmetrical pose as your snap. :)

Morning , The class 22 also uses metal springs - although not to such good effect as on the western , as they're not really chunky enough. A nice idea in theory though.

tfn

Jon

In pedant mode the springs on the Western still don't look chuncky enough when compared to the real thing and there are too many turns. They do look more 3-D than having them moulded but as Andy Y says they do need to be straight. The fact that they aren't moulded might make things a bit easier when it come to making some sprung P4 bogies for the Dapol model. Will have to see if they can be replaced with proper working ones! :)

I'll look forward to seeing how Liara's coming on in a couple of weeks Jon. I think we're supposed to be next to each other on the demo tables.

D1000 looks very impressive. I ordered one from STEAM a long time ago and am hoping they haven't lost my order! I also have a maroon with yellow buffer beams one on order from Lord & Butler. At last, it appears that we shall have a Western with the correct shaped cab roof.

Small detail points: D1000 in desert sand prior to gaining yellow panels did not have the air control pipes under the buffers. Nor did any Western have air brakes other than in blue livery (and D1017-20 not even then) so there should be only two hoses on the end of D1000 not five.

I'll look forward to seeing how Liara's coming on in a couple of weeks Jon. I think we're supposed to be next to each other on the demo tables.

aha - then i shall see you in a few weeks..

:mosking: I should be upstairs ballasting laira , but Dapol keeps on distracting me ... so no pictures of 50s (or westerns)please until i'm done!

Jon

Can ony add congrats to Dapol (as I said to Dave today) for what they've achieved and are promising.

Western looks great. I've gone for one of the Lord & Butler maroon/lemon buffer beams but given the very short operational window, reckon it will be "essential" to get a second in a differnt livery!

Roll on delivery.

• RMweb Gold

I missed the boat too Terry but it's possible Steam could do other variations of the livery in due course. It's not dave's fault as that's the quantity that Steam committed to. I'm sure they could have sold more on the back of the quality of the product on release but they did invest a substantial amount for that 400.

For info the guy on the Steam stand on Saturday afternoon was taking orders. He said that less than half ofthe 400 remained unsold and that he had taken 18 orders up to the point I spoke to him on the Saturday. I looked on the STEAM site when I got home and it is saying 'out of stock' but I reckon it would be worth giving the shop a ring direct. They also had the one of the Hornby Castles, Swindon, on the stall.

• RMweb Gold

D1000 looks very impressive. I ordered one from STEAM a long time ago and am hoping they haven't lost my order! I also have a maroon with yellow buffer beams one on order from Lord & Butler. At last, it appears that we shall have a Western with the correct shaped cab roof.

Small detail points: D1000 in desert sand prior to gaining yellow panels did not have the air control pipes under the buffers. Nor did any Western have air brakes other than in blue livery (and D1017-20 not even then) so there should be only two hoses on the end of D1000 not five.

A couple of points Robert

1. I ordered one on the day they were announced and talking to them some months back they definitely hadn't lost my order so hopefully yours will be equally safe. They will be 'phoning all of us who have placed pre-orders to check that they have card details etc correct but they won't be doing this until the locos arrive (for which there are two slightly different dates - depending on who you ask) but the earliest is 'end October/early November'.

2. Geoff Davis from Steam told me that there a number of small detail alterations to be made to the loco in comparison with the model on view on the Steam stand at the weekend - hopefully the pipes are part of that.

• RMweb Premium

This model is lookimg fantastic - well done Dave and Dapol. I can't wait for my pre-orders - so far one maroon and one weathered from Kernow. However I have a couple of comments:

2 views of Dapol's blue wizzo body

post-7024-0-04334700-1347751467_thumb.jpg

I seem to recall Dave saying that the production models wouldn't have the raised ribbing for the name and numberplates since they would not be factory fitted and are of different lengths depening on the loco. Is that still the case, so are 96701's snaps or earlier pre-production models?

What about the other limited editions - e.g. Kernow, Lord and Butler. Will they also have pre-fitted nameplates like Steam's Enterprise?

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the mail, and rest assured I have asked for the wipers to be in a Parked condition, but there is still time to canvas opinion here ( I only have a couple of days before full production starts)

Would customer applied wipers (in an accessory bag) be better or would this fall under the "too many parts for the customer who's paying enough money already to fit"?

I don't have a choice with Enterprise.

Cheers

Dave

I'm with Gwiwer and others and would much prefer the wipers to be pre-fiited in the parked postion. The less I have to fit myself the better as I'm bound to spoil the overall effect.

• RMweb Gold

ATTENTION (sorry for shouting but if you want one there are still some available)

I have just spoken with Geoff Davies at Steam and he apologises about the problem with the website indicating 'none in stock' etc and hopes to sort it when he has a chance.

IF you want to order one there are two methods available - Geoff's first choice is by email to

gdavies[at]swindon.gov.uk (substitute '@' for '[at]' of course).

The email should say what you wish to order, your name, address and 'phone number (no card numbers are to be given at this stage).

Orders can also be taken by 'phone on 01793 466626 but the museum would prefer them to be placed by email.

Trust this will help those who expressed disappointment previously and if you purchase one of these, or bought a 'Castle' you will be receive early advice of a possible future project (not a diesel).

PS the 'Castle' was sold - it was the last one and fetched a good price for the museum's funds. BTW I have no connection with the museum except as a satisfied customer.

Thanks Mike, I've just spoken to Geoff too on the back of that (and bagged mine!). Geoff will be sorting out the message on the website and as Mike says it is still available for pre-order by email gdavies@swindon.gov.uk with your name, email address, address and contact number.

Archived