Some basic RhB questions

jhock

I would guess that Kato are not thinking of modellers but rather of the returning tourists' souvenir market.

More likely they will also appear for sale at RhB/MGB stations as do postbuses and other 'take home' vehicles. A bit like the 1/64th scale 'Post Car-liveried' bus made in China that I bought at Andermatt in 1999. Well it'll do for a background piece.....

No offence to you folks in 'Nm' - I admire your eyesight and nimble fingers, hence I'm in 'Om' !!

No offence to you folks in 'Nm' - I admire your eyesight and nimble fingers, hence I'm in 'Om' !!

'Om' is the yoga chant that the Nm modellers hum to calm themselves before tackling tiny components.

if you've got a suitable font

Edit: that question mark doesn't even display the right character when I look back at this post, and I do have the right font! Oddly, displays OK when I'm in the edit box.

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 1

Bemo locos come in two ranges, the ordinary plastic bodied ones, and the much more expensive metal bodied ones - their "Metal Collection". The Metal Collection locos tend to be much smaller runs and I think I'm right in saying that Bemo don't repeat a loco if it is a Metal Collection model. So they are hard to find secondhand and because of the shorter runs and no repeats they tend to hold their prices very well.....

The Metal Collection also included lineside structures. I sold a silo structure a while ago; it was very heavy!

'Om' is the yoga chant that the Nm modellers hum to calm themselves before tackling tiny components.

if you've got a suitable font

Yes, I worked for the BWY for many years so had much fun explaining the 'other' meaning of :yes:

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if some one could answer a few questions for me as I am interested in modeling Swiss Meter Gauge but don't really now where to start.

I only have a very small space, are there are any small branch line terminus stations on the RhB network?

Would sidings be electrified or would they use a tractor?

I really only want to model a small station with a timber siding and goods shed, do such things still exist?

Any help is most welcome.

Im also a starter in RhB HOm, a quick question I would like to ask,,,are D+R models still in business , you see very little of there models available for sale but they do have an up an running website, the same question for STL dut I dont see a web site for their models.

Thanks

D+R seem to be as Winco still list them as current though I don't know about stl.

http://www.winco.uk.com/DRmain.html

Nice layout here for a small space, spotted by one of the guys on the Grischun forum

http://www.berninarailway.com/modell%20layout%20bernina%20waas.htm

Im planning my layout on three 4ft x 2.5ft base boards, transportable for exhibitions, The winco Bernina set looks different to the one im interested in as I would like a baggage -

http://www.modellbahn-voigt.de/D-R-21270-Heidiland-Bernina-Express-Set_1

Ive also (as in another thread) bought some used RhB coaches alas one has no detail pack with it and hand rails are missing,, what do i expect for £15 from a swapmeet!!, any idea where I can get these parts from, I know WINCO but ive been informed they wont supply unless you bought the original item from them,,(they must have good turnover to turn away businesss!!) so any other shops,,,or even BEMO?

Thanks for the links, :)

Edited by mp55aec

Would be interested to see any plans ;)

There in my head at the moment,,everyone seems to model the 3 track station ,,,,i think most continental modellers have a standard layout for the depicting country , I know SNCB modellers love Trois Ponts, RhB modellers seem to model anywhere in Graubunden!!, Its going to be mostly RhB but I do have an interlooper that I dont know what to do with, maybe a part ex not sure as ive had it many years (FO Tunnel lok) I know RhB used them for a time but thats 30 years ago and I wish to model 1990 to today before everything goes to EMU sets, I could really even use it with a set of FO coach stock unless i use modellers licence!

As soon as a plan is drawable I will put it on here,,,Im not new to continental modelling, its all i have ever ever done since I was 14!!, but I am new to HOm and Bemo, incidentally i want the layout to be DCC Roco MultiMaus controlled and not sure about the BEMO locos with the 3 pole motors, looks like they will be posted off the the guy in Worcester to sort out for me the same with mt Bdt cab coach but any advice is good advice.

Thanks Dutch Master, to be honest ive never used Winco ive always bought my items from mostly germany, as even with the postage they are much cheaper, WINCO seem to advertise much but when you phone itsout of stock, Im buying bits off ebay.de and ebay.ch at the moment as they dont always appear on our UK site even when you state "worldwide", I have my Bernina set for Christmas off my wife off e-bay here in the UK I was very lucky :)

I will have to join the yahoo groups BEMO site and are there any for RhB modellers in English?.

Thanks

Ive joined thanks :) had  a reply already,,,,rather than "suffer" childrens Christmas TV last night I took a good look at my coaches, it seems they are that "old" production they dont have end details just door grab rails,,,and alas Im missing two, so if I cant get two anywhere I will try and take some fine wire and make my own, but Im not that good at fine work lol,

Also see the group at http://rhb-grischun.ca/phpBB2/index.php     See the button to register on that screen.  A very friendly bunch of people, originating in British Columbia - Canada - in 2004 but encompassing members in Canada, UK, USA and most of Europe, including Switzerland itself.

A wealth of well-researched information. 

PaulRhB of this parish will know more about the origins as he has been a member a lot longer than me......

• RMweb Gold

PaulRhB of this parish will know more about the origins as he has been a member a lot longer than me......

It's a really helpful and friendly group that helped me immensely when building Rhatia. Worth joining any you find as there's always something different to find :)

"Not Found

The requested URL /phpBB2/index.php     was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request"

Sorry, Horsetan, I had logged out, but the basic URL would have been more helpful. :sorry_mini:  Thanks, Paul

Edited by RhBBob

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dutch Master, to be honest ive never used Winco ive always bought my items from mostly germany, as even with the postage they are much cheaper, WINCO seem to advertise much but when you phone itsout of stock, Im buying bits off ebay.de and ebay.ch at the moment as they dont always appear on our UK site even when you state "worldwide", I have my Bernina set for Christmas off my wife off e-bay here in the UK I was very lucky :)

I will have to join the yahoo groups BEMO site and are there any for RhB modellers in English?.

Thanks

Arcadia,Shaw, [advertise on RM web] have a large selection of Bemo Locos [metal and plastic] and coaches and wagons at good prices

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Kato Glacier Express, due in March but delivered early! Not that common in model railways even by Kato.

As expected from Kato its a superb runner at all speeds, the moulding is crisp and paint is very well done. This can't compare with the detail that Bemo include on their HOm models but it is very good and about the only improvement would be accurate gauge and some detailed buffers to put on the front where the large rapido coupling is a bit over the top.

Somewhere I have a delprado Krokodil that should look good alongside this and while I doubt Kato have any more RhB in the pipeline this is an excellent set at a very reasonable price. Would I buy more like this? Definitely.

Front end

83A31BDC-DFB7-44E4-A0A1-F9CCBF141922-140

Looks like enough meat on the chassis to narrow it to Nm.

F30411E3-F3ED-43CB-802D-13652733F18A-140

Pantograph

4B22753D-C3E0-43B0-868D-2665B1DE49F6-140

Restaurant coach

7D03081E-DBDA-4C30-8F1D-304D89AEF71D-140

The bar

9CFCD170-6779-47A8-B79E-9261B1727BC3-140

Standard coach end

7B6AF4E7-721E-4A4F-8BBB-409DA0777CB5-140

Nice crisp roof detail

3D713235-B176-4ADF-848F-E17B67408577-140

The bogies, appear to be stub axles in a plastic centres with metal bearing strips against the bogie frame.

8CB4AE8B-2477-4EF3-B3C4-C9AA22066D11-140

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...