Some basic RhB questions

jhock

• RMweb Gold

Yep but with a Z gauge chassis they will be very close. I'm watching with interest and may well dive in if they stretch to a Ge4/4II. Coaches would be easy to adapt plus I've seen reasonable second hand prices on eBay on some z gauge electrics that could be stretched.

• 1 month later...

Yep but with a Z gauge chassis they will be very close. I'm watching with interest and may well dive in if they stretch to a Ge4/4II. Coaches would be easy to adapt plus I've seen reasonable second hand prices on eBay on some z gauge electrics that could be stretched.

I've got three sets now, and have the Glacier on tour on order.

I am not going to add to the expense and hassle by adapting them for Z track. In my opinion there is no need as the design of the bogies makes them look narrow gauge and don't plan on compromising running quality by mucking about with what is such a superb creation.

Incidentally the Kato stuff is 1:150 so is a bit big against the Del Prado crocodile.

Let's hope they do some more locos then Gordon ;) Rhätia 2 the mini sequel

And I should add that in the short time these have been available I've amassed enough to make an 'hybrid N' scale RhB layout for 1/4 the cost of BEMO HOm and about a1/20 the cost of artisan Nm stuff...

It helps that I already produce all my new  N gauge layouts with Kato Unitrack, as the plug an play wiring and switching suits my modelling style which is to concentrate on scenics and operation. My French N layout incorporates the Kato three-aspect automatic colour light signal which requires just one wire connection to work!

20130509235022-0f0a71c4-me.jpg

Edited by Gordonwis

• RMweb Gold

......about a1/20 the cost of artisan Nm stuff...

Here's something that I cooked up (but never finished!) a few years ago as I wanted something in Nm for my SBB/DB layout. It's loosely based on a two car Monte Generoso set using Bill Bedford ÖBB 5090 etches (760mm gauge) and a scratchbuilt chassis and mechanism. I used to be a member of the 2mm Association and the design was based on an article by Henk Oversloot in the journal. The gears (Ultrascale IIRC) and wheels were supplied by the Association.

post-6728-0-20648100-1382514294.jpg

post-6728-0-36061200-1382513920.jpg

post-6728-0-27715900-1382514057.jpg

post-6728-0-32432700-1382514182.jpg

post-6728-0-80550100-1382514232.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Here's something that I cooked up (but never finished!) a few years ago

Super job :)

All we need Gordon are Ge4/4II's and standard coaches ;) had a near one today the shed where Rhätia is stored had an attempted break in, fortunately the three levels of security slowed them down enough to prevent entry before all the alarms let loose and woke everyone up.

Edited by PaulRhB

• 1 month later...

Here's something that I cooked up (but never finished!) a few years ago as I wanted something in Nm for my SBB/DB layout.

Fantastic job!

For anyone interested in Nm, Michael Bange from AB Modell has arranged a conversion set for both Kato's Glacier Express coaches & loco.

http://www.n-schmalspur.de/neu-katoe.pdf

I have been able, this year in Stuttgart, to compare the dimensions of the Ge 4/4III by Schlosser with the Kato Glacier coaches. The coaches are a bit wider than Nm normal material (see / Lok 14 coach) , but the height is perfect. It works, I mean.

(As soon as I understand how to upload pics, I will upload my photo :O  ),

Ciao,

Antonio

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I picked up a set of close couplers on eBay and it takes about a minute per coach with excellent clear instructions.

Part number 28-186 contains 12 couplings and short diaphragms for the coaches plus 2 couplers for the loco.

[sorry broken Photobucket links removed]

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That's quite a difference Paul. You do realise these couplers represent the +GF+ couplers used by the Zentralbahn (former SBB Brüning line and LSE), right? ;)

Yes but they look miles better than the massive hooks and they are as close to the RhB buffer as I'm going to try in N ;)

• RMweb Gold

Well despite looking impossible I tried one long and one short corridor connection and what d'you know it works! The coaches have to go a set way round for the flags to match.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

I hope no one minds me reviving this thread, but 2 years after I made the initial post I have taken the plunge and bought myself a starter set from Bemo and intend to produce a layout in HOm.

A few things have changed that make this a easier, mainly I have moved house and a lot more space to play with, I now have 13' by 7' in an L shape in which to make a layout. The maximum width I can go to is 28inches which is just enough to accommodate the set track curves that come in the set. He main part of the layout will be 18" to 20" wide.

The plan (which is only in my head at present) is to have a continuous run with the L part being used a fiddle yard that comes off the main run.

I think, having read the thread again I am not going to pick an actual location but model something that captures the essence of what I want and fits the space.

It is going to be a small station, no doubt 3 track with a siding or 2, 1 for timber and 1 maybe for container transfer, I know that is probably overkill for a small station but it is what I want. I want plenty of space just for the trains to run, so some of the layout will just be single track running through the mountains. There will also be a hidden track that runs up the back of the lay out to return the train. As the curves are sharp I might hide them behind scenery.

Thanks for all the advise in this thread.

Thanks Paul,

Love the plan, I would need to adapt it a little, as what I don't have is width, I need to keep it all quite narrow and in and L shape. The hobby room is a shared space with my partner, so need to keep on side of the room or she will give me a kicking!

I suspect there will be a line down the middle with words 'You shall not pass!'

After a discussion with SWMBO, I think the layout is going to be 13' by 3' narrowing to 20" along its length, I will loop each end and have a fiddle yard underneath with 3 or so tracks.

Quite a challenge to my woeful wood work skills, but i it is the best use of the space.