Barrow Hill 22/23rd September

silverlink

Just thought I would start a thread on this event which takes place over w/e of 22/23rd Sept. Lots of model rail layouts in attendance plus the bonus of the real thing! Yes major steam locos and diesels giving free rides plus lots of trade support. This will be a first visit for our club layouts (Scarborough & District Railway Modellers)to this event with 'North of England Line' 'N gauge' & 'Haymarket Cross' '00'. Please come along and say hello.

post-4401-0-64868300-1347810817_thumb.jpg

'Haymarket Cross'

Cheers

Ian

"The Railway Children' my 'O' gauge impression of Oakworth as it appears in Lionel Jeffries' 1970 movie, will be making its debut appearance at Model Rail Live (unless I break it again, like I did last Sunday). I set up outside as that's the only plkace to put the whole thing together. Then it threatened rain so I hastily dismantled and one baseboard was caught by a gust of wind. The leg unit ripped out and broke away two sections of plywood. The only effect to the layout itself was that one lamp post fell off! However, its amazing how brittle 6mm plywood can become.

post-1062-0-17483400-1347958064_thumb.jpg

Really looking forward to this. I'll be helping out PMP on Albion Yard.

Seems expensive to get in, but when in there is bucket loads to do and see! + free train rides & a chance to travel to Chesterfield on the shuttle over freight lines.

Went last year as a visitor 'To test the water' It was really good, model railways, real railways, real ale and last year Johny Vegas was there!!!!

Agree with Charlie - people may think it's expensive but break the cost down into how long you can spend there and it works out fairly good value for money - compare it to taking the kids to Alton Towers for the day - now that's expensive! Where else can you get such a variety of things to see and do in one day.

Went last year and it was really good - and this year they say it's going to be bigger and better. Not sure if we will make it due to partners poorly foot - unless someone can offer help with a wheelchair - and in pushing for me - will be an 11th hour decision me thinks!

So hoping - just in case we don't get - people take lots of photographs and post them on here!

• RMweb Premium

Agree with Charlie - people may think it's expensive but break the cost down into how long you can spend there and it works out fairly good value for money - compare it to taking the kids to Alton Towers for the day - now that's expensive! Where else can you get such a variety of things to see and do in one day.

Went last year and it was really good - and this year they say it's going to be bigger and better. Not sure if we will make it due to partners poorly foot - unless someone can offer help with a wheelchair - and in pushing for me - will be an 11th hour decision me thinks!

So hoping - just in case we don't get - people take lots of photographs and post them on here!

So, what do you get for a good day out?

Monday, I met Mum at Kew Gardens: £14 (concession) each plus my train fare.

A railway day out in North West Wales - standard (third class, round trip) ticket prices:

Snowdonia Mountain Railway to the top of Snowdon £25

Welsh Highland Railway: Caernarfon to Porthmadog £33

Ffestiniog Railway, Porthmadog to Blaenau Ffestiniog £19.60

Conwy Railway Museum: Miniature Steam Railway Train ride £1.50, Museum £1.50, model railway in carriage (put money in slot to move trains), also kids train activities

On the other hand, the Model Railway Show (Sioe Trenau Bach) held in the National Slate Museum, 14-17 February 2013 (schools’ half term) will be free. “Avago” and Tender’s Southern to be layout booked in.

Model Rail Live: the prototype (live and static) with roundhouse and signal box, model railways, demonstrators and traders all under one roof: what more can you ask for? I’d say £12 (or £10 plus £1 booking fee) is pretty good value for a railway day out, especially if it helps to continue to preserve our heritage and hobby. Cheapest ticket to Everton-Liverpool match is £40 for 90 minutes plus interval; Starlight Express, Venue Cymru, Llandudno £30. No contest.

Well, out of the blue thanks to Hornby I won some tickets to the event... Can't wait to go because it's been a while since I've been there - And, if anyone remembers me, the last time I was around this forum! Can't wait to have a look at some smashing layouts!! :D

We aren't able to go due to partners foot which wouldn't upstand the amount of walking involved - shame - but one of those things especially when looking at photos of behind the scenes preparations on Facebook.

So hope people will post lots of photos for those not able to attend.

Come and say 'Hello' to us on The Railway Children layout. Various members of the Model Rail team have said they'll come and help out, so I may not go any greyer than I already am!

Or is it just an excuse to go have a look around and not return till it's nearly time to end? :P

A couple more, Outon Road will be there again, but in extended form....

post-6681-0-03849800-1347959749_thumb.jpg

PMP's Albion Yard

post-6681-0-90967900-1347959801_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to the day tomorrow. A little taster shot for anyone who hasnt seen Outon Road with the extension before.

post-6894-0-45500400-1348228970_thumb.jpg

Cav

Sources tell me that during the show Chris Nevard's Arne Wharf tiny NG layout will be carried through Chris Leigh's Oakworth station on a bolster wagon.

Chris will in future to be known as "The Brave Man Who Brings Two Toy Train Sets to a Show".

Seriously the selection of pictures above indicates that it will be a good day out! Looking forward to seeing PMPs extended layout for the first time too.

Been there today, raining!!! BUT loads to see inside undercover and dry, slight lack of DELTICS, but the East Lancs will benifit on that one, Cracking Brighton Belle shot outside, most impressed with the range of layouts too. If you are a Burger Van spotter, your lucks in too!

Going to be a good weekend, you can feel it! Excellent weekend, hope the weather holds out.

Say hello. Charlie (DC Kits/DE Videos/ Legomanbiffo DCC Traction Projects)

Been there today, raining!!! BUT loads to see inside undercover and dry, slight lack of DELTICS, but the East Lacks will benifit on that one, Cracking Brighton Belle shot outside, most impressed with the range of layouts too. If you are a Burger Van spotter, your lucks in too!

Going to be a good weekend, you can feel it! Excellent weekend, hope the weather holds out.

Say hello. Charlie (DC Kits/DE Videos/ Legomanbiffo DCC Traction Projects)

Decided on the ELR this year - 5 Napiers don't come around too often and its a bit nearer than BH - excellent exhibition in 2011 - maybe next year......

Ian

First time that I've been to an exhibition and come away disappointed! The trade was excellent, the loco exhibits were very good but what let it down was the way the actual layouts were shoved in the little shed and you couldn't see anything and more importantly people couldn't pass without shoving each other anyone with pushchairs forget it no chance. Now I'm used to layouts several people deep at Warley and other exhibitions but you couldn't get past with one person on each side, very poor it seemed the models were an afterthought at Model Rail Live.

Decided at the last minute to go, after looking at the weather and thinking I ought to grab every opportunity for a decent run on the bike :sungum:

As Fireman Sam says, the layout shed was pretty cramped to the point where I gave up and went back around 3.30ish after the crowds had thinned out a bit. Interesting to visit the cab of the splendidly weird-looking 89001, though, and would have liked to have seen more cabs open (I'll be honest, I was more interested in the 12":1ft stuff than I was the models as I'd never been to Barrow Hill before).

Plenty of trade, but unfortunately this is the wrong end of the month for me to be spending too extravagantly. In the end, I was tempted by one of Model Rail's class 08s that they were selling for £60 which, for a non-subscriber like me, is a decent discount. For the sake of clarity: I don't know if they've got their whole range there and I don't know whether everything's discounted so if you go looking for a bargain that ain't there, don't blame me!

No idea what the beer's like, when I'm on two wheels I'm strictly teetotal. It seemed to be going down well with those who were partaking, though ;)

On the whole, I enjoyed it and pleased I (eventually) made the effort to go :)

Brilliant....great day out, the weather today made it. I went last year and was impressed......and I am suitably impressed again this year.

A great mix of everything, and something for everyone. Keep up the great format Barrow Hill, and we shall all come again.

Bob

Brilliant....great day out, the weather today made it. I went last year and was impressed......and I am suitably impressed again this year.

A great mix of everything, and something for everyone. Keep up the great format Barrow Hill, and we shall all come again.

Bob

Couldn't agree more Bob, we also had a great day out, sorry we missed you for a chat. Fireman Sams comments re the lack of isle space was fair comment in the morning rush in the layout shed, we just looked around the roundhouse and had lunch until things calmed down in the afternoon. Picked up a few bits although there wasn't much in the way of component traders.

Here's a few pics.

post-11105-0-93773300-1348349973.jpg

Oliver Cromwell

post-11105-0-92983500-1348349984.jpg

Brighton Belle

post-11105-0-93706800-1348349999.jpg

Glen Roy

post-11105-0-63093000-1348350011.jpg

Polbrock

Ray.

Archived