Farewell the last Metropolitan Line A Stock 29/09/12

Xerces Fobe2

On Saturday the 29th September very last A stock will run in service on the Metropolitan Line.as a farewell tour. I have a ticket for tour as memories of the A Sock go way back to my early childhood when I lived near Watford. I will be very sad to see these trains will be running no more. however not a bad innings at 50 years!

I will be armed with a camera as I intend to post some photos on RMweb of this memorable day

More details can be found here, however all tickets are now sold out!

http://londonist.com...inates-here.php

As a reminder of the A Stock here is a video I shot nearly a couple of years ago at Baker Street

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMpCg3KaG8E&feature=share&list=UUPOhI7Iw4kdKLI49xI4UPyw

XF

I may go for a nosey if I'm at home in Harrow, but it is very disappointing that these last few weeks have seen no action. Moreover, it's a shame that tickets for the final run, as is so often the case (1T57 anyone?) cost an arm and a leg.

I've got a cab pass, don't think I'll get away with using it though!

A couple of years ago, a problem was reported with radio reception at the signal located nb on the exit ramp of the flyunder from Neasden depot. I was duly despatched to the depot to do some radio tests, but when I signed in with the DDM he duly declared the signal was not on the depot but the mainline, so couldn't grant me access. Never mind he says, come back in 20 minutes....

So I did. They laid on an empty A stock for me to ride to Wembley, in the cab, with my radio & laptop. At Wembley we had a green so kept going - all the way to Amersham & back. Just for me.

Happy days

Stewart

I may go for a nosey if I'm at home in Harrow, but it is very disappointing that these last few weeks have seen no action. Moreover, it's a shame that tickets for the final run, as is so often the case (1T57 anyone?) cost an arm and a leg.

The A Stock has seen very little service since just before the start of Olympics with the remaining units kept in reserve. One of these units has been vandalised and had to be withdrawn earlier. As to the cost £40 for a few hours on a memorable trip with all the profits going to a children's charity - good value IMO

,XF

Sort of sad after so long in service. That will now leave the C stock as the oldest surface stock in service. That still has a sort of traditional feel and sound in keeping with the Underground of old, in spite of the refurbishment.

Sort of sad after so long in service. That will now leave the C stock as the oldest surface stock in service. That still has a sort of traditional feel and sound in keeping with the Underground of old, in spite of the refurbishment.

I have never liked the C Stock but refer the D stock especially since they were refurbished, however they too will soon be replaced by S Stock and this will provide a standard fleet for the sub-surface kines which is operationally a good idea but somewhat bland compared to the days when CP/COP, R, and Q Stock roamed these tracks!

XF

The second-order effects have yet to fully play out. My wife and I used to use the Met in the morning peak, and would expect to get a seat on a fast Aldgate, with nice bouncy seats, if we were keen. (My abiding memory of the A stock will be the way everyone in the coach would involuntarily bounce in unison on the RFS refurb seats)

Now, the chances are you will have to stand in an S stock, most of which already have acquired the 'essence of Class 158 vestibule' aroma.

As a result, we take the view why stand for half an hour on an S stock when you can stand for 15 minutes on a Desiro from Wealdstone... I am sure there are other places where people will make different journey plans now that they routinely have to stand.

The second-order effects have yet to fully play out. My wife and I used to use the Met in the morning peak, and would expect to get a seat on a fast Aldgate, with nice bouncy seats, if we were keen. (My abiding memory of the A stock will be the way everyone in the coach would involuntarily bounce in unison on the RFS refurb seats)

Now, the chances are you will have to stand in an S stock, most of which already have acquired the 'essence of Class 158 vestibule' aroma.

As a result, we take the view why stand for half an hour on an S stock when you can stand for 15 minutes on a Desiro from Wealdstone... I am sure there are other places where people will make different journey plans now that they routinely have to stand.

Unfortunately it is going to get worse as all of the S8 Stock is being recalled to Bombardier Derby for attention to bogies and electrical wiring issues. To cover for the absent units, S7 stock will be reformed as 8 car trains and used on the Met - these units only have longitudinal seats so more standing!

XF

• RMweb Premium

I got sent this the other week, the last booked working next Wednesday.

Wednesday 26 September train 412

07.52 Neasden dt - Wembley Park pfm 1 08.01

08.02 Wembley Park - Watford 08.30

08.40 Watford - Baker Street pfm 1 09.22

09.28 Baker Street - Amersham 10.26

10.47 Amersham - Aldgate 11.59

12.11 Aldgate - Amersham 13.26

13.47 Amersham - Aldgate 14.59

15.11 Aldgate - Amersham 16.26

16.46 Amersham - Aldgate 18.01

18.08 Aldgate - Watford 19.07

19.17 Watford – Harrow-on-the-Hill pfm 6 19.39

19.44 Harrow-on-the-Hill - Neasden 19.58

• RMweb Gold

I will be sad to see them go but they are 50 years old (same age as me and i'm knackered lol) and their best days are behind them. I remember driving them in the early 80's over the Neasden crossovers and being bounced around on the seat or chasing Class 115's on the Watford/Amersham branches.

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Premium

I have virtually grown up with A-stock. It was born just a few years after I was and before I was in school. I shall be sorry to see it finally go. 50 years is a good innings but is only par for the course with LU stock (1983 tube stock excepted!) as they build it tough to last a long time.

With family near Uxbridge I have had occasion to make many (albeit irregular) trips that way plus a few to Watford, Amersham and Chesham. Both terminal bays at Aldgate, the former bay at Liverpool Street (which used to be used by Amersham / Chesham trains which seldom ventured to Aldgate until the bay was closed) and even both the seldom-used terminal roads at Moorgate have been used over the years. With one trip around North Curve and many on the East London Line I reckon I have convered all the passenger miles which A-stock has served.

We changed at Harrow-on-the-Hill into T-stock when we also had family out in "Metroland" and I do recall "red" trains (probably CP stock as the F-stock may have gone by then) running from the City to Uxbridge.

The A-stock is class. It has high-back seating and luggage racks. It was born of trials conducted as early as 1935 with test coach 17000 and as such the design is fundamentally much older than sometimes realised. It has stood the test of time and changing circumstances supremely well and will be much missed by generations of enthusiasts and commuters.

Farewell to a fleet of old friends.

The last F stock ran on the East London line in 1963. I cannot recall the date it last ran on the Metropolitan but it was before that.

Like you, I have memories of the A stock when it was new (I was 5 years old in 1960!) but also more lasting memories of CO/CP and R stock trains (those flaired skirts left a lasting impression as the trains swept into the platforms) on the Metropolitan, District and Circle lines and also the 1938 tube stock on the Bakerloo.

50 years is a very good innings and it doesn't look too shabby even now, although the 1938 tube stock has outlasted the A stock by a considerable number of years on the Isle of Wight (I'm not too sure how well the salt air has treated this stock, though!).

• RMweb Premium

I do have a memory of being unbuckled from my push-chair once on board a train at Uxbridge and being held up to look though an oval window.. That suggests F-stock to me. It would have been no later than 1958 and despite my youth (under 2 years old) I hold that and numerous other memories quite well from those times. I clearly remember becoming old enough to operate the handles of the swing-door T-stock we used north of Harrow - that was a real privilege!!!

The A stock had a good innings but it's good riddance from my perspective. I don't know much about underground stock, the Metropolitan A's look exactly the same as those used on the District line, yet for some reason one had to endure that overbearing pumping sound on those that ran on the Met. I didn't mind riding out to Richmond or Wimbledon but dreaded travelling from Kings X to Uxbridge.

Somewhat ironically after my earlier comments, I now find that my wife has secretly bought us tickets for Saturday!

Does anyone know for sure what the news is about whether a set or two is going to be 'preserved' (in whatever sense) after all?

The Met and District stock couldn't be more different! The pumping noise was the air compressor located in the trailer (middle) cars. The A stock compressors are older and noisier.

Yet I prefer the A stock to the S stock because there is not the constant dribble of anouncements coming out....

To confirm preservation:

Units 5234 and 5110 along with cars 6036 and 6132 will be in use a rail adhesion trains (and we are promised occasional railtours minus 6036 and 6132)

5118+5189 have been withdrawn for scrap

5034+5062 will be used on the railtour on Saturday. One car I presume will be retained for the LTM. I'm hoping that it is 5034 (ex 5008). I also assume therefore that 5008 (now trading as 5034) will have the honour of forming the first and last train in passenger service!

I'm tied up tomorrow which is both unfortunate and predictable. It's poignant when the final special is to be run with a unit that is not expected to survive.

Are 5234 and 5110 unmolested, then, apart from the RAT vehicles being coupled to them?

Archived