Farewell the last Metropolitan Line A Stock 29/09/12

Xerces Fobe2

The A stock had a good innings but it's good riddance from my perspective. I don't know much about underground stock, the Metropolitan A's look exactly the same as those used on the District line, yet for some reason one had to endure that overbearing pumping sound on those that ran on the Met. I didn't mind riding out to Richmond or Wimbledon but dreaded travelling from Kings X to Uxbridge.

That is like saying a GWR Hall looked the same as an LMS Black Five the A60/A62 & C69/C77.are very different beasts! The compressor noise on the A Stock are very noticeable like the old 3rd rail DC EMU's- Oh and Richmond and Wimbledon are both on the District Line!

XF

• RMweb Premium

The A-stock compressors are noisy beasts but that noise contributes to the character of the units IMO. On a quiet off-peak service you could sometimes barely notice a start once the doors had closed so quiet were they - unless the comp. was running of course!!!

Perhaps one of our experts could also answer a question for me. What is actually on the destination blind? I know most of it (but not necessarily in order) but are there some oddities which were never normally seen?

I cna think of: Aldgate, Liverpool St., Moorgate, Baker St., Wembley Park, Harrow, Uxbridge, Watford, Rickmansworth, Chalfont, Chesham and Amersham plus Special. Do other turn-back or terminal points also feature such as Ruislip, Ickenham, Rayners Lane, Neasden or Kings Cross? Are ELL line destinations included (or were they on a separate blind unique to units on that line?) as that would add Shoreditch, Whitechapel, Surrey Docks, New Cross and New X Gate to the list?

The lack of seats in the S stock is all too often a trend these days. We have exactly the same problem on the Overground where the 378s have nothing but longitudinal seating, and those awful "perch" seats, too low and too narrow to be any use at all. Fine for hop on and hop off traffic in the centre of town but utterly useless for the longer distance traveller.

According to the Tube Prune web site, the destinations were:

METROPOLITAN LINE 'A' STOCK (1990-98)

Special

Aldgate Fast

Amersham Fast

Baker St Fast

Moorgate

Aldgate

Baker St

Watford

Uxbridge

Amersham

Harrow

Rickmansworth

Wembley Park

Chesham

Chalfont

Neasden

New Cross

Whitechapel

New Cross Gate

Shoreditch

Surrey Quays

Those are not the same as applied originally. When the A60s were first introduced there was no distinction between slow and fast trains, They all used the same destination, be it Aldgate, Baker St or Amersham. They also ran "Fast" to Uxbridge and Watford, but those just used the normal Uxbridge and Watford destinations. Also Liverpool St was a destination until the turnback siding previously used by the Metro-Vic Bo-Bos for the Aylesbury services was taken out of use. So the list above is definitely different to the destinations on delivery, and there must have been new blinds produced, or a "cut and sew" exercise to take out some destinations and add others, notably the East London Line ones.

The A60 tour leaves Moorgate at 09:55 on Saturday, with stops at Harrow-on-the-Hill between 11:54 and 12:10, and at Amersham between 12:43 and 13:30. The final stop is Wenbley Park at 15:52. I believe it will run "...to all Metropolitan line stations...". I'm guessing that means the current Met line only.

The A-stock compressors are noisy beasts but that noise contributes to the character of the units IMO. On a quiet off-peak service you could sometimes barely notice a start once the doors had closed so quiet were they - unless the comp. was running of course!!!

Perhaps one of our experts could also answer a question for me. What is actually on the destination blind? I know most of it (but not necessarily in order) but are there some oddities which were never normally seen?

I cna think of: Aldgate, Liverpool St., Moorgate, Baker St., Wembley Park, Harrow, Uxbridge, Watford, Rickmansworth, Chalfont, Chesham and Amersham plus Special. Do other turn-back or terminal points also feature such as Ruislip, Ickenham, Rayners Lane, Neasden or Kings Cross? Are ELL line destinations included (or were they on a separate blind unique to units on that line?) as that would add Shoreditch, Whitechapel, Surrey Docks, New Cross and New X Gate to the list?

A search of the internet revealed this photo on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/willfaichneyphotography/7465507622/ apparently taken earlier this year.

• RMweb Premium
I believe it will run "...to all Metropolitan line stations...". I'm guessing that means the current Met line only.

It would have to run as a service train to Chesham. I'm sure LUL is resourceful enough to manage that despite the branch being supposedly only availble to S-stock now. It was the need to run a weedkiller to Chesham which once saw vehicles from a "Hastings" unit used by passengers as a service train there some years ago.

Thanks for the details of the current destination details. "Fast" was definitely not on the originals and I suspect was added at the same time as the ELL locations were with the original 1960s blinds being replaced at the time.

While nearly all Amersham (and through Chesham - City) trains have always been fast, usually from Wembley Park to Harrow to Moor Park, the peak service to Watford and Uxbridge has also included a differing number of such trains over the years. A-stock afficionados could locate a few trains which ran non-stop Finchley Road - Harrow (speeding through Wembley Park at a fair lick given the road) and even the odd Uxbridge fast which was first stop West Harrow beyond Finchely Road.

It would have to run as a service train to Chesham. I'm sure LUL is resourceful enough to manage that despite the branch being supposedly only availble to S-stock now. It was the need to run a weedkiller to Chesham which once saw vehicles from a "Hastings" unit used by passengers as a service train there some years ago.

Thanks for the details of the current destination details. "Fast" was definitely not on the originals and I suspect was added at the same time as the ELL locations were with the original 1960s blinds being replaced at the time.

While nearly all Amersham (and through Chesham - City) trains have always been fast, usually from Wembley Park to Harrow to Moor Park, the peak service to Watford and Uxbridge has also included a differing number of such trains over the years. A-stock afficionados could locate a few trains which ran non-stop Finchley Road - Harrow (speeding through Wembley Park at a fair lick given the road) and even the odd Uxbridge fast which was first stop West Harrow beyond Finchely Road.

When I first started using the Met in 1960 to go to school, all Fast services to/from Uxbridge were non-stop between Finchley Road and Rayners Lane. In the morning peak period the service pattern from Uxbridge was repeated every 15 minutes and was Baker Street, Fast City (Aldgate), Slow City (Aldgate). There were also 2 Piccadilly line trains starting from Uxbridge included in the 15 minute cycle. In the evening the pattern was the same leaving Baker St. Slow Baker St-Uxbridge, Fast City-Uxbridge, Slow City-Uxbridge, but with the added complication of the Amersham/Chesham and Watford services.

OIn the Uxbridge services, the Fast City overtook the Baker St service between Harrow and Wembley Park. There used to be a chord between the Northbound GC/Chiltern line and the westbound Uxbridge branch that meant that the Fast Uxbridge could go through Platform 1 at Harrow and use the chord to rejoin the Uxbridge branch between the fly-under and West Harrow station. I can recall some time between 1960 and 1964 seeing A60 Stock travelling through Platform 1 non-stop, but I don't know whether it was an Amersham or an Uxbridge service. The chord was removed sometime in the 1960s.

The Fast Watford services were non-stop between North Harrow and Finchley Road.

The Fast Amersham services were non-stop between Finchley Road and Moor Park.

When you travelled on them regularly as I did between 1969 and 1983 to Farringdon you appreciated the speed of the A60s and deliberately timed your journey to use the Fast services if you were going beyond Baker St. It may only have saved you 5 minutes, but it did feel good going past the Slow trains. I shall miss the A60s. it makes me feel very old knowing that they're gone.

As regards Dazza's query about the route, I currently have no further information about the route ot timings.

I have the following information on the Farewell Tour.

The units to be used on Saturday's railtour will be the same ones as yesterday's last run in Revenue service, namely 5034-6034-6035-5035+5062-6062-6063-5063 as they are the only remaining operational A stock unit left at Neasden. 5034 was originally numbered 5008 and as such was part of the very first A Stock Service in June 1961 as 5004-6004-6008-5008.

The planned route and timings for Train 750 are as follows:

Neasden Depot 08:45 - Moorgate (Platform 4) 09:17

Here beginneth the A Stock Farewell Tour:

Moorgate 09:55 - Watford (Platform 2) 10:44 (Fast to Harrow - Platform 3, then via slow line)

Watford 10:47 - Chesham 11:18 (via North Curve)

Chesham 11:24 - Harrow (Platform 2) 11:55 (Fast)

Harrow 12:13 - Amersham (Platform 1) 12:43 (Fast)

Amersham (Platform 1) 13:36 - Harrow (Platform 6) 14:06 (Slow)

Harrow (Plafform 6) 14:07 - Uxbridge (Platform 3) 14:24

Uxbridge 14:28 - Aldgate (Platform 3) 15:19 (Fast)

Aldgate 15:21 - Wembley Park (Platform 1) 15:52

Here endeth the A Stock Tour.

Wembley Park 15:55 - Neasden Depot 16:03

RIP A Stock.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a fitting finale to these iconic trains. I'm intending to catch a few shots of the run in a few choice locations, including the inbound ECS first thing. The weather looks good too, which will really make it memorable.

Having grown up with and travelled on these trains for the best part of 30 years, it's going to be sad seeing them go, but at least there will be a handful of survivors.

Cheers,

Have just got back home from the A Stock Farewell Tour having travelled in 5034, formerly 5008.

A truly wonderful day. It all went very smoothly, so very, very, many thanks to LU and all their staff, especially the drivers, and everyone else who made it all possible.

On the first run of the day, from Moorgate to Watford, we started to overtake a Chiltern lines service just after Kilburn, reaching 65mph (or so the speedo app that some guys had on their Iphones and Ipads showed), but the Neasden pointwork meant we had to slow down. The age of Met drivers outgunning the GC lads isn't dead.

The highlight was the final run from Aldgate to Wembley Park. The driver opened the throttle full after Kilburn and we flew down the Fast line reaching 74mph, before he had to slow down for Neasden. Of course the speeds shown by these apps are uncalibrated and I'm sure the drivers were not exceeding the speed limit on that section. :wink_mini:

These trains will always be special to me. In their original unpainted aluminium finish, they were the sleek, fast, and comfortable greyhounds of the Underground system that took me to and from school, then university and then work for over 25 years until I stopped working in Central London!

Also in 5034 (5008) for today's run, its impending static preservation at LTM Acton taking the edge of the sadness tinge around the whole day.

Excellent send off for the stock. Great atmosphere on board and throughout the day but both enthusiasts and staff.

Spirted running for the final leg, showing what these machines were capable of and a credit to those who have maintained and managed them over the years; machines don't achieve things, people do.

Hope the two remaining four-car RAT units are allowed out to play on heritage days in future, and that a concerted effort is made to preserve them when they are finally retired.

The curtain has finally fallen on a chapter of London Underground History that started with the 1935 Stock. The A stock was the last of the generation that included the 1938/O/P/R/59/62/A stock.

Not to mention the often-overlooked 1956 stock ;)

Nice to see the Metropolitan Railway crest still in use. I take it the rights for that are held by LUL?

As the latest successor to the Metropolitan Railway Co. Ltd I believe they will be.

The crest wasn't just used on the headboard. 5034 had the crest on the side of the car next to the running number as did 5063. If you look at XF's picture of 5063, you can see the crest next to the top right hand corner of the drivers cab door. I can't remember if it was on all of the cars, I think it was just the DM cars. Judging by their condition they've been there for some considerable time.

5034 as 5008 was in the first service train in 1961, and worked the last service train and railtour in 2012 (though yesterday it was mentioned that this was more by chance than design!). It has also been generaly cleaned up and will be the A stock car going to the Acton Museum Depot.

There is an A stock that was driven over to Acton for secure storage, but this is a spare 4-car set for the RAT and my understanding it is not preserved per se.

I will not particularly miss the A stock.

I remember them being introduced: as "A for Amersham" at the time of the extension of electrification to said place. I also remember that it was they that replaced the loco hauled stock and the T stock which were much more interesting rides, at least for those who enthused over such matters.

BTW it was 'C for Circle' and 'or District', does anyone know what B was for?

Regards Roger

A handful from yesterday's tour. The sun played ball all day, which is almost unheard of from personal experience! :sungum:

Firstly, the inbound stock move to Moorgate . I toyed with either West Hampstead or Kilburn, but the former won out. A wise decision!

post-6712-0-79732700-1349007268_thumb.jpg

Next, a trip up to Harrow-on-the-Hill. II was amazed to find I was the only one here, unlike later in the day as it got steadily more crowded at other spots.

post-6712-0-84596000-1349007359_thumb.jpg

Furthest north I went was Northwood, to a location I've not used since my 'Steam on the Met' days. 5063 leads on the return from Chesham.

post-6712-0-69716400-1349007487_thumb.jpg

An errant S stock put paid to my planned arrival shot at Harrow, so I went elsewhere. I did catch the return from Uxbridge at Preston Road though.

post-6712-0-46325100-1349007621_thumb.jpg

Final shot at Neasden, shortly after its stirring 75mph run between Finchley Road and Dollis Hill (it was still doing a good 60 at this point!). After 51 years, they still have it!

post-6712-0-16469600-1349007718_thumb.jpg

A fitting end to an era. I've not had much experience until yesterday of how S stock runs, but the seats aren't nearly so comfortable on them and I could live with the bounce A stock had.

I will not particularly miss the A stock.

I remember them being introduced: as "A for Amersham" at the time of the extension of electrification to said place. I also remember that it was they that replaced the loco hauled stock and the T stock which were much more interesting rides, at least for those who enthused over such matters.

BTW it was 'C for Circle' and 'or District', does anyone know what B was for?

Regards Roger

Their introduction also coincided with the quadrupling of the track between Harrow and Watford South Junction, just beyond Moor Park. That, and the electrification from Rickmansworth to Amersham was supposed to have taken place in the 1940s as part of the New Works Programme, but the UK was otherwise engaged. With most Amersham trains now using the slow lines between Watford Sough Junction and Harrow except for few peak hour fast services, it makes me wonder if we will see LU hand over responsiblity for the fast lines and the track between Watford South Junction and Amersham to Network Rail sometime soon.

A stock also replaced CO/CP and F stock on the Uxbridge branch. Not all of us had an opportunity to ride in T stock or behind the Metro-Vic Bo-Bos so we are unable to make that comparison between ride qualities.

When I iwas a schoolboy I remember being told by some of my classmates who used the T Stock on the Watford branch that once their compartment was out of Harrow station they used to remove the lightbulbs and throw them out of the window.

The use of the letters is a happy coincidence

A = Amersham

C = Circle

D = District.

That's why, apart from its usage the first time round by the District, B was not used, and as far as I know there never were any plans to re-use it.

With S stock coming to the Circle and District lines, we're returning to the O/P/Q38/R stock days when all 3 sub-surface lines used minor variations on the same basic design but for the first time there will be no legacy stock, F, G (Q23), K (Q27), L (Q31), M (Q35), N (also Q35), T and loco hauled still running on the sub-surface lines.. Much less interesting, but inevitable really given the economies of scale.

Using S fills in the gap in the original A-R + T naming convention. When the S Stock is finally replaced will it be with U stock? If the S lasts as long as the A Stock I shan't be around to find out.

Archived