3D Printed N Gauge Pendolino and On Track Plant

One way to lower costs is to combine everything onto one file.

I noticed for one of the units it is 4 files that need to be printed if they were all in one file that would save nearly 20 Euros just in handling fees.

Alistair

Hi Alistair,

The 8 euro charge for handling is per order, so if you order 10 items it costs the same as if you order 1. Is it possible to print separate items in the same file though? It would reduce the volume of support material needed, so if I can print two bodyshells side by side in the same file upload (not attached to one another), that will certainly lower costs. I will look into it.

Meanwhile, the UFM 160 unit is more or less finished!

David

post-6666-0-08075500-1365864565_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-07584800-1365864573_thumb.jpg

You can certainly print multiple items together in one order and it seems to be cheaper that way. With your UFM160 do you have supports on the underside to keep the body from bowing while printing. Shapeways are now recommending that you have some kind of removable supports on the bottom of hollow FUD shells of length and I had to redo a couple of the railbusses for this.

Alan

Impressive work David. I am doing HO scale models, haven't got down to ordering them as I don't know where to get a drive system for it.

Anyway I have a small question, are the models printed in England or in the US? I can't afford to pay P&P if it has to come all the way from the States  :blind: so I really need to know if it's being done in the UK or not so I can have my stuff ordered and my uncle can bring it down to India soon. How much do you pay for P&P?

• RMweb Gold

Jeremiah

David uses Shapeways, so for the UK the prints are done in the Netherlands.

Shapeways have flat rate P&P fees which are independent of where the models are printed: http://www.shapeways.com/support/shipping

So shipping to the UK costs $9.50 + tax and shipping to India would cost $19.99 + tax (regardless of whether the prints were done in the Netherlands or the USA).

If you can do it then it would be simpler and cheaper to order stuff to deliver to your uncle.

Cheers, Mike

Jeremiah

David uses Shapeways, so for the UK the prints are done in the Netherlands.

Shapeways have flat rate P&P fees which are independent of where the models are printed: http://www.shapeways.com/support/shipping

So shipping to the UK costs $9.50 + tax and shipping to India would cost $19.99 + tax (regardless of whether the prints were done in the Netherlands or the USA).

If you can do it then it would be simpler and cheaper to order stuff to deliver to your uncle.

Cheers, Mike

Even my models are on shapeways. I will leave it at being delviered to my uncle. Thanks

I've been inundated with commercial enquiries this week and an going to sit down and think long and hard where I want to take this. My designs are models I want, but there is also seemingly a decent level of interest to make a commercial venture viable. Exactly how I do this I am undecided - there are various options, but in the meantime I've been looking at reducing the print costs through shapeways to get a decent 'retail' cost (with a slim markup).

Costs so far:

Rail Grinder £68

09 Tamper £93

UFM 160 £67

GRSM set £19

David

• Like 3

Costs so far:

Rail Grinder £68

09 Tamper £93

UFM 160 £67

GRSM set £19

David

Do shapesways do 00 stuff? As I'm sure 00 plant stuff would be popular Edited by Swifty11

I've had a few hours this evening to start on the next project (which will take some time due to its complexity), a Kirow 1200UK rail crane.

This is a very big beast, and a very ambitious project for me, as not only does it mean designing my own bogies, but all the swiveling and telescoping parts. There will probably be several passes on this - firstly a working pass, to get the structures and working elements correct, then a beauty pass - making the design look more like the actual crane. 

First step has been to get a basic chassis, and then start to structurally design the bogies. These are rather large as they have 4 axles each, and designing them to scale is proving a challenge, even around 5.1mm wheels.

Here is the first draft, lots and lots and lots to do...

David

post-6666-0-53362100-1366579772_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-20119900-1366579777_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-53839000-1366579782_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stephen, yes the runner will be done after the main crane. I need to find some good photos of it first.

The chassis now has buffers and attempt at a coupling!

David

attachicon.gifkirow chassis new.jpg

Have you thought of leaving a space for the Dapol NEM boxes to be mounted?

If so then this would allow for the fitting of any NEM coupler such as rapidos, Dapol Easy Shunt etc.

Not had problems with the 3D print ones I did breaking and you can with care even print them in WSF. Dapol ones are also definitely a good choice.

If you are using FUD for the bogies you'll need bearings - otherwise it wears away rapidly.