3D Printed N Gauge Pendolino and On Track Plant

My latest bodyshell has arrived, this time the all in one piece.

Now, having learned a bit more about the material and printing process, this hasn't come as a huge surprise, but there is a bit of banana-ing going on, the chunkier underside boxing has pulled down slightly so the coach is slightly warped.

Having said that though, once I sprayed it up with grey primer, it's less noticeable - what do people think looking at the photo?

Other than the glaringly obvious error of having placed them too far to the edges so the bogies overhang (!)' the bogie pivots have actually worked perfectly, and are exactly the right size.

What I will probably do now though is change the design so it has two pieces, one bodyshell, one chassis and underframe block, that way there shouldn't be any sagging.

Hopefully this is the last test model I need to produce, as this is getting expensive!

David

post-6666-0-91203500-1349887696_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I'm surprised you get bowing unless that is frosted ultra detail. WSF should not be bowed and if it is I'd raise it with Shapeways, they may reprint it.

If it is FUD then you can often unwarp any warped fud by putting it in hot (70C or so) water where it becomes softer and sorts itself out usually. It's a resin so its basically the same trick as unbending Ian Stoate "banana Peak" castings and the like.

Its another reason not to use FUD for anything large (along with the price!)

I have been using WSF, but the website does mention this could happen - its because my walls are quite thin compared to the mass below them. Making 2 separate pieces should solve this, but i'm adding in a structural ridge on the chassis piece to further strengthen it.

Revised drawings all done now, hopefully I should be able to print a 'final' coach now before ordering the full set of intermediate cars

David

Never had WSF go banana, but I do use seperate body and floor/underframe, with a ridge in the coach body to stop the floor pushing to far up.

My floor also has a lip along both sides. It makes the final structure fairly rigid.

If the latest print goes well, all design work bar the driving car nose is done, so as this is my next (massive) challenge, I'm giving serious thought to including directional lighting.

Excusing my novice-like innocence here, but is there any reason I cant simply remove the lights, wiring and pick ups from an existing model and build them into my new one? I have several sources for the lighting - my Kato 885 Javelin conversion, Dapol dummy 86, etc.

David

Well the new pair of bodyshell and chassis unit arrived and I'm very pleased with this, they fit together nicely and sit well on the bogies.

post-6666-0-61941700-1350484235_thumb.jpg

It also fits nicely over the 170 chassis, and with the underframe block I've designed to sit underneath, this should match the unpowered coaches well.

post-6666-0-57252300-1350484262_thumb.jpg

One odd thing is that on this third printing, the raised lines on the roof are missing. I've emailed Shapeways about this as obviously when I order all eight coaches, they've got to have them. I got a reply about three minutes later asking for photos and more details. Very impressed.

David

• Like 6

Dunno what Bachman and Dapol are on about with all this time they need to create a model, what's this one been a month of prototypes and a production run is almost upon us.

Seriously though, 3D printing is going to really change manufacturing, was reading about it yesterday, they can do metal as well now. Rapid prototyping of your own models, David could have waited forever for Dapol to move on their Pendolino and in just over a month he has been able to create his very own.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Latest pictures do look super :locomotive: I'm certain if there's a chance of the results of this work becoming generally available there would be a lot of interest.

That looks superb. I wonder if I can find an excuse to run one of set on Banbury with a VirginThunderbird on the front!

That's been the plan for me ever since the Dapol announcement as 'Rule 1' applies, however the cover of Railway Herald issue 335 offers an attractive alternative for some :senile:

Regards, Gerry.

Inevitably, a better shot now found here...

Edited by steam-driven boy
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments everyone, here's an update on where the project stands today:

The driving car I will be making a fresh stab at over the next few weeks, as presently on my modelling course I'm starting to learn how to use Rhino 3d, which is much more capable of designing the complex curves than sketchup seems to be. My intention is to design the nose on Rhino then merge this with the standard bodyshell design from sketchup.

I will also include directional lighting, as suggested I will look at the Dapol dummy voyager pack, which looks simple enough to incorporate, as long as I alter the design of the chassis plate to allow pick ups to penetrate the base.

Once this is all designed I will order a full set of coaches, but need Shapeways to figure out what went wrong on the latest print, as shown below, a lot of detail was lost.

post-6666-0-95107900-1350583107_thumb.jpg

This week I am focusing on looking at the finishes I can achieve, as the material is quite rough. I could opt for the much superior ultra detail material, but this boosts the cost of a single coach up to about £30 and given i have set a budget of around £200 to do the complete set, I really need to stick to the cheaper WSF material.

This doesn't show up well in a photo, but I've been comparing the finishes on the difference bodyshells I now have, looking at different paint applications, and also experimenting with sanding down the sides to get a smoother finish.

This is a bodyshell sprayed as received

post-6666-0-44385900-1350583032_thumb.jpg

This is the opposite side which has had a light rub with sandpaper around the door window

post-6666-0-31514800-1350583053_thumb.jpg

It's actually a lot smoother and the paint seems to apply better, so I will certainly be softening the sides to get a nice metallic feel, though it is still going to look rougher than a RTR coach obviously.

And this is a roughly painted stab at the new bodyshell and base set, just really to test paints and surfaces again, so excuse the sloppy nature of the painting!

post-6666-0-20132800-1350583081_thumb.jpg

I am resisting temptation to order all the intermediate cars now, as although the design work is complete, I need to wait for the driving cars to be completed just in case the bodyshell changes in anyway during the design process, and also it saves heavily on postage if I do it all in one!

David

• Like 4

Hi Bob, yes, we cover illustrator, Rhino and solid works I think. Good extra is as a student, I can but Rhino for £200 if I get on with it :)

Been doing a bit more sanding and spraying, and have found doing so between coats gives a much smoother surface. To test it out, I've added some test decals to this end of one of the shells

David

post-6666-0-44401400-1350593766_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I am experimenting with a product called 'Mr Surfacer' at the moment. This is a filler/primer and initial trial suggests it help. You get it in three grades, fine, medium and coarse. I have only tried the medium.

However, I have only done a test piece, which I have misplaced, so no photo's.

A word of warning. The instructions are all in Japanese, so I didn't spot the bruch cleaning instructions. I think it needs white spirit. Soap and water helped it set solid.

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

Do you have any Johnson's Klear floor cleaner? It is excellent for making a rough surface smooth... I'd be tempted to try it to see if it can fill the bumps and give a smoother finish ready for the main paint finish...

Looking very good I must say. Are the decals your own?

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

With the paint,sand,paint,sand...... process you can achieve a smooth finish eventually.Just keep going until you are happy with the finish.It should work well with a smooth sided coach with no raised details to get in the way.

There must be quite a few modellers that would be happy with a non-powered set,for dragging around behind a 57.Only tail lights would be needed for that one.

As for missing details,if they are very fine they can be affected by print orientation.A very small gap between parts can disappear in some cases.

Excellent work so far,keep it up.

• RMweb Gold

David ,

I am sure that Klear has seen a change in make up and current stock might be a problem, perhaps greater and better minds can advise on what to look for?

Like the work done and certainly 4 intermediates on delivery would suit me. And given my luck I am sure to finish in time for Dapol to get finger extracted !

Robert