3D Printed N Gauge Pendolino and On Track Plant

Thanks Robert, most kind. Its going to be really weird for me when I go to a show and see some of my designs rolling round someone else's layout!

I've started on one of the inner vehicles of the HOBC train now, and boy are these complicated! There are massive double bogies articulating the separate wagons, but thankfully I can use structures worked out for the TRT and IQA wagon here.

I have roughed in the major structural shapes and made progress with the left hand end, but have still got the right hand structure to complete, the underside detail, and the two conveyor belts to add in. The price of this print just goes up and up...by the time its done it should be the new year ready for a print...right when my student loan arrives, bad timing!

David

post-6666-0-27793200-1385411207_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-79303600-1385411221_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

David

That does look good. I suspect that it wouldn't go round the fiddleyard curves without suspending service on the other direction!

As an aside I am pretty sure I went past the Kirow crane at Stoats Next junction at Coulsdon on the Brighton mainline this morning. Will watch out for it tonight / tomorrow morning as it may well still be in the engineers siding there.

Regards

Ian

Another hour of CAD work this evening and I've pretty much finished the design for the current vehicle from the HBOC I've been working on. I now have the final, and fourth to draw up, and then check clearance angles etc for corners, making sure nothing locks up with each other. 

This is definitely the most complex set I've designed so far!

David

post-6666-0-55310700-1386012732_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-94265100-1386012718_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Right, after another solid morning of CAD work, I think I have pretty much finished the designs for the RM900 RT HOBC.

This is going to be a monster unit - 50cms in length, 4 articulated sections, 2 double bogies, 4 single bogies, and 17 separate printed parts. It will be unpowered (the real unit can propel itself during possessions) and hauled by a 66, and next year I am going to draw up the ballast wagons and other power units that make up the 'full' HOBC train. 

I need to separate the parts ready for uploading to Shapeways, and then I can balk at the cost and save some pennies! I also have to design some etches for handrails and the distinctive cab window protective grilles, and do a sheet of decals. I've designed the cabs as separate parts so that I can fully model and detail the cab interiors, and will probably add some figures. 

An incredibly complex and difficult design, but I am immensely satisfied to have got it to this stage.

David

post-6666-0-84555300-1386248108_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-55090200-1386248112_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-53974200-1386248131_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-33644000-1386248118_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-82741900-1386248123_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-05313100-1386248128_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Smashing work David, you're really not helping me not be tempted to return to 'N', i'm especially liking the Cargowaggon....

Can someone refresh me (i'm not liking the thought of going back through 32 pages to find it) but what is the procedure for cleaning up WSF before painting?

Cheers, keep up the good work :)

I also have to design some etches for handrails and the distinctive cab window protective grilles, and do a sheet of decals. I've designed the cabs as separate parts so that I can fully model and detail the cab interiors, and will probably add some figures. 

What will the handrails and window grills be made off? Are they going to be from shapeways of are you talking about brass etches? I need window grills myself. Hoping you can explain a little more :)

Cheers!

• RMweb Gold

Smashing work David, you're really not helping me not be tempted to return to 'N', i'm especially liking the Cargowaggon....

Can someone refresh me (i'm not liking the thought of going back through 32 pages to find it) but what is the procedure for cleaning up WSF before painting?

Cheers, keep up the good work :)

I have used soap and water working it in with an old toothbrush then rinsing. Repeat a few times.

The recent prints I have used Swarfega working this into the corners with a toothbrush, cleaning in water and repeating twice more.

Ian

I have used soap and water working it in with an old toothbrush then rinsing. Repeat a few times.

The recent prints I have used Swarfega working this into the corners with a toothbrush, cleaning in water and repeating twice more.

Ian

I am surprised about doing all that for WSF?

I know WSF can be dyed, but I would think it would be best to keep water away from it, for me WSF only needs the remaining dust clearing with a paintbrush before priming.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello

Have you ever thought about designing a road/rail jcb excavator?

They would make great corner and siding fillers for layouts.

Matt

I've got a few more models in the planning stages at the mo, but I will certainly look into these. In fact they might be small enough to produce in OO as well.

David

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The HOBC design is complete, and I think I have ironed out any bugs in the file so it should print well. The downside is the cost, so I will have to wait a while before printing this - Its the largest and most complex print I've designed. 

In the meantime, I've started on the next model - the Swedish Railvac. Work in progress at the moment, but this is going to be a good test of my growing CAD skills using Rhino, as the vacuum pipe will need some rather complex modelling to get it right.

David

post-6666-0-39650600-1388414466_thumb.jpg

• Like 3