3D Printed N Gauge Pendolino and On Track Plant

Another project squeezed in before I start back at Uni next week - a Komatsu PW150 road-rail excavator. 

The arm will be in a fixed position, but the body can be turned, and the rail wheels piece has been designed to be reversable - stick it on one way up to be 'wheels down', the other for 'wheels up'.

This should look nice sat in a siding or parked up in the yard on my (whenever I find the time and money to make it) next layout...

David

post-6666-0-08453100-1388583551_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-57401900-1388583557_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Hi David,

I've been looking through this thread and your work is really impressive. Would you be able to scale up to OO? I'd love to have a RailVac!

Marcus.

I expect he can, but can I interest you in a home loan to finance the purchase of it if its made in one lump ????

Unfortunately, yes, the costs do rocket. Simply doubling the scale means multiplying the volume by a factor of 8. I can then redesign it completely to thin the walls back down to minimum thickness, but you are still looking at about 5x the cost, so about £160 for the railvac in OO.

Once 3D printing costs come down, OO will certainly be cost effective, but for now it's really only suitable for N in most cases.

David

Once 3D printing costs come down, OO will certainly be cost effective, but for now it's really only suitable for N in most cases.

David

I would agree when dealing with things of the scale and scope of full vehicles as your amazing work is David. I have done numerous small parts in HO (for all intents and purposes the difference in scale to OO is immaterial for the cost issue at present) including replacement window strips for passenger cars to do a kitbash, but a full vehicle in HO remains an unreasonable cost. Detail parts, road vehicles, small structures and the like are totally doable at the moment in OO without being overly expensive.

Someone recently told me that some of the patents on 3D printing expire in February 2014, this could result in an influx of new machines and progress as the market opens up if that is correct.

Stephen

Edited by sjgardiner

Hello David,

Once again a superb job on the HOBC and the excavator, however I must admit that the Railvac is my favourite out of all of them.

Now that the first parts of the HOPS are in Britain and some of the other vehicles are due soon, will we be seeing them in N soon too?

Best Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• 2 weeks later...

Another project squeezed in before I start back at Uni next week - a Komatsu PW150 road-rail excavator. 

The arm will be in a fixed position, but the body can be turned, and the rail wheels piece has been designed to be reversable - stick it on one way up to be 'wheels down', the other for 'wheels up'.

This should look nice sat in a siding or parked up in the yard on my (whenever I find the time and money to make it) next layout...

David

attachicon.gifkomatsu road rail.jpg

attachicon.gifkomatsu road rail up.jpg

David,

Your work on this thread is fantastic and every big boys dream.

The road rail excavator looks very good but does not look quite right, have you based it on a prototype as most of the ones i have worked with come have smaller arms.

Not sure about the rules for posting a link but a search using a well known internet search engine turns up many pictures of smaller road rail machines.

Hope this helps

Matt

Hi Matt,

It's a model of the Komatsu PW150 - there are lots in use, with many different arm combinations. The model is based on plans I have for the actual excavator.

David

Hi Matt,

It's a model of the Komatsu PW150 - there are lots in use, with many different arm combinations. The model is based on plans I have for the actual excavator.

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...