Dapol 57xx pannier - Photo Review

Andy Y

While it may not be the same weight as the Farish model (i havnt weighed one to be honest) i can tell you it weighs 33.5g but there is a little room for others to add extra if they need it.

Do you know how that compares to the Terrier? They seem to haul well so if the Pannier is similar it should be good.

These look really great. I plan to purchase one but I worry about a few things. The late crested version (the one I plan to buy) appears to have its hand rails misaligned giving it a bowed appearance. I don't know if it was this particular model and they just got bent out of shape. The only other worry would be the number plates. I would hate to get a pair tilted. Again though, I am hoping these issues are just one-offs. Other than that, I am building a small GWR terminus soley because of this model, while I work on my bigger GCR layout.

Did you take the photos Andy?

If so, they are cracking and far closer than I would consider viewing such a small model. When one considers that it is 2 1/2" long, I think it looks really good, and problems with fonts and number plates are really inconsequential.

More importantly (for me) is for those who aren't interested in the guarantee. How is it driven, and does it have a value beyond N gauge for conversion say to 2mm finescale?

Did you take the photos Andy?

I did Tim; they're really cruel when you're blowing up a 2mm loco to images which can display 20x magnification but it shows how far things have come over the last few years.

After all a life-size snap wouldn't tell you much.

S2mini.jpg

More importantly (for me) is for those who aren't interested in the guarantee. How is it driven, and does it have a value beyond N gauge for conversion say to 2mm finescale?

I think the CAD posted by Dave pretty much shows how it is driven. The now standard size of motor used by Dapol (and Farish siometimes) in the boiler, driving all wheels through a set of quite a lot of gears.

Having seen how the split axles are engineered, an easy way to convert it to 2mm finescale using current 2mm Scale Association wheels does not immediately spring to mind to be honest. Special wheels would have to be made with tube-like axles. Whether the supplied wheels can be turned down depends on what they are made of - Farish Mazak wheels tend to fall apart if this is attempted. Which leaves a replacement etched chassis. For which the absolutely delightful Dapol body would form a worthy companion. As soon as they hit the shops I am really looking forward to getting hold of one to pull it apart.

Chris

I had a close look (in the dispaly case) at these at Barrow Hill today, and I must say they look excellent :)

The smokebox number did look a bit "odd" when i took my glasses off and nearly licked the window of the display case to get up close and personal, but thats hardly the "normal viewing distance" :D

I think that given that the smokebox number is supposed to be a plate rather than printed anyway, that the best solution for those who want this completely right is to invest in a good matching set of etched cab and smokebox plates.

Chris

Hi chris,

6713 will be the first i believe.

While it may not be the same weight as the Farish model (i havnt weighed one to be honest) i can tell you it weighs 33.5g but there is a little room for others to add extra if they need it.

The chassis is on split frame contruction and i have attached a picture from the cad/cam of the underside with various parts missing to help you.

Hope this helps

cheers

Dave

Having taken a closer look at the CAD, I reckon here might just be an easy way to convert the loco to 2mm finescale. But it would require us getting some gears made to go on the driving axles. So Dave, if you know the details of that gear - number of teeth and pitch (or outside diameter), that would be very helpful.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

In the 2012/3 releases list they are showing a LT L94 version.

Hatton's is showing it available for pre-order, but they are also showing a Fraish LT Pannier (L97) for pre-order (albeit a couple of quid more).

Looks like there could be some interesting comparisons coming up :)

(lucky they are both too small to run on my P4 layout, so saved some expense there then!)

• 3 weeks later...
How soon will they be released? I read somewhere that they would be here late October?

George.

Reports elsewhere say there is a big box of Dapol stock sitting at the dock waiting for the nice man from customs to alow it in to the country...

Believed that at least one version of the Paniers is included in it.

Referring back to the originally posted photos, and to the photos in the review in the current issue of Model Rail.

ND204A is the model in early BR livery. What do we make of the Lion facing to the rear of the loco on the right hand side? Is this another example of a QC issue in the factory. ie have "left-side" transfers been inadvertantly applied on the right-side on a whole batch of locos?

Worse, are the Lions facing to the rear on the left-side as well?

The problems with mis-shapen handrails etc might not be noticeable on the layout - yes, photos are very cruel - but for the Lion to be facing the wrong way just shouts in your face!

If real locos were ever liveried like this in the early days of BR's adoption of the Lion & Wheel, I reckon it wouldn't have been very long before they were recalled for correction. Should Dapol do the same for their customers?

ND204A is the model in early BR livery. What do we make of the Lion facing to the rear of the loco on the right hand side? Is this another example of a QC issue in the factory. ie have "left-side" transfers been inadvertantly applied on the right-side on a whole batch of locos?

The problems with mis-shapen handrails etc might not be noticeable on the layout - yes, photos are very cruel - but for the Lion to be facing the wrong way just shouts in your face!

If real locos were ever liveried like this in the early days of BR's adoption of the Lion & Wheel, I reckon it wouldn't have been very long before they were recalled for correction. Should Dapol do the same for their customers?

Looking at it the lion faces the same way on both sides in the livery prototype sample at the heading of this thread. I didn't spot it- did anybody? There has been plenty of comment about the font on the numberplate.

Dave pulled the first release of A3s for the factory to correct the tender lining- if someone had told him about the lion I'm sure it would have been corrected.

All the very best

Les

Referring back to the originally posted photos, and to the photos in the review in the current issue of Model Rail.

Oops! Yes, the right hand side photos do show a backward-facing lion, which is wrong for the early BR emblem, but the left hand side looks fine to me!

The rearward facing lion would be the correct orientation for the post-1956 second BR emblem, as the College of Heralds would not permit a right-facing lionwithin the BTC Heraldic Device, unless BTC had applied for new letters patent at great expense (although many right-facing lions were on the prowl for a few years after 1956!

Richard

Archived