Dapol 57xx pannier - Photo Review

Andy Y

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity...

What are the fundamental differences between this batch and the next batch (the 2S00700x versions)? Specifically between the already released 3716 late crest pannier and the due to be released 5758 late crest model.

Just out of curiosity...

What are the fundamental differences between this batch and the next batch (the 2S00700x versions)? Specifically between the already released 3716 late crest pannier and the due to be released 5758 late crest model.

Yes, I assume. 3716 is a late-build pannier with the later cab, and 5758 should have the earlier cab.

Chris

Hi,

I have now received my Gt Western pannier which runs very well already. However, it is one of those with a sagging footplate leading to the cab leading forward. On removing the cab and releasing the rear tabs of the boiler the foot plate straightens out so something must be tight somewhere.

Cheltenham did not have another with them at Comm Rail, so does somebody know how to release the front end of the boiler so I can solve this problem?

• 1 month later...

Finally given in to temptation and bought a BR, early crest version today (glad I asked the shop to put one aside as my local shop sold out of these in less than a week). I noticed that one of the springs for the magnetic coupling was about to escape but managed to pop it back in (much easier than trying to replace a spring that's completely escaped). Also the trip pins were the wrong way round but I've managed to fix those too.

Anyway, it is a lovely little loco, runs very sweetly and doesn't seem too phased by Peco Settrack points.

Just one thing puzzles me. What's the tapered, hexagonal bar for? It has a hexagonal recess in the small end so I guess it is a tool necessary for servicing the loco.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished my second sound install into one of my Dapol N gauge panniers, this time the GWR version and it went much better this time around I and even got the loco lights working correctly.  I wasn't happy with the sound on the first install so have bought the YouChoos CT sound programmer and created my own sound set,  The programmer makes it a doddle to program sound onto CT decoders, just click and point, no more messy text files etc.

This install again uses the little CT Elektronik SL76 sound decoder with the smaller of the two sugar cube speakers fitted (squeezed!) into the cab.  See 

for the video.

Caz

• 1 month later...

There are still the odd one from the first batch knocking about (not many though!) so I finally obtained one (I think Dapol are missing a trick here in terms of sales - Farish have sold shedloads of their older model - clearly there is big demand here...)

Out of the box running wasn't great - sticky at low speed. After an hour of running in (full speed) it's transformed.

The motor performance seemed a bit odd during this - drawing up to 100mA (a lot for the small cans used in these), for a bit then slowing stuttering a bit, before it seemed to clear itself and settle to running on <50mA (Better!), and notably faster.

Now the slow speed and crawl performance is also much much better, so I'm pretty happy with it. I'd hope the motor becomes available as a spare in due course - I think it's the same dimensions as the original Dapol can, and if so it's a perfect replacement for those in the 14xxs and Ivatts, and would likely transform their performance also.

A few detail bits need sorted out - the standard painting wheel rims and crank pins, painting out the spurious number on the rear buffer beam and painting the prominant DCC planking plug in the cab black to obscure it.

Overall happy so far!

Cheers,
Alan

• 11 months later...

I have always thought it a mistake that Dapol didn't differentiate in their descriptions between the early (5700 style with round front windows) and late (8750) style cabs on their panniers.

Has anyone else noticed that in the current batch they have got some of the cab styles mixed up for the number used? I did a quick search and couldn't see any mention on the forum.

2S-007-007 Class 57xx Pannier #4607 BR Black Early Crest - This has been given the early cab.

2S-007-009 Class 57xx Pannier #5724 GWR Green 'GWR' Lettering - This has been given the late cab even though its number is earlier than 2S-007-008 Class 57xx Pannier #5764 GWR green 'Great Western' lettering, which has the correct early cab.

I have been waiting for a BR Black early crest loco with the later style cab for a while, and was pleased when I saw number 4607 was to be produced. However, I was disappointed once I saw the picture and won't be ordering.

Perhaps there was a mix up communicating with the factory...If they distinguished between the cab styles, e.g. by using 5700 and 8750 class panniers, rather than 57xx for all, this might have avoided the problem.

Douglas

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Following the thread it seems we have another issue relating to R & D. The new release of BR early period number 4607, carries the wrong style cab.... Checking Jim Russell's Book  -       A pictorial record of Great Western Engines there is a pic of 4609 ar Reading General on page 177. Loco 4612 is preserved on the Bodmin and Wenford. Both have the newer style cabs.

I think the manufacturers should research their prototype thoroughly before putting on a number, or chose a definite prototype based on photographic reference. The 57xx are a bit of a minefield  but it was mainly the 57xx, 67xx, 77xx and a few 87xx that had the older style cab. According to the Great Western Archive loco 4607 was built in January 1942 so it would had the later cab. It was first shedded at Bristol St. Phillips Marsh and ended her days at Westbury in september 1965. Somebody obviously prepared the CAD drawing for the older style cab without doing their homework. There is so much information now available just on the internet that such errors are really inexcusable.

The model certainly looks nice but marred by the sloppy research are we playing toy trains or model  railways???...having an appropriate number would have been so easy..

Who is going to find the first image of 4607?

Hello All,

The model certainly looks nice but marred by the sloppy research are we playing toy trains or model  railways???...having an appropriate number would have been so easy..

Who is going to find the first image of 4607?

Railway modellers can easily find cabside and smokebox number plates  for a loco which  fits the as-produced specification!

For myself, I'd need a magnifier to read an N Gauge locos numbers at normal operating distances :O

Richard

Too easy, "Great Western Steam South of the Severn", Bradford Barton 1973 by RE Toop has a picture of 4607 leaving Hallatrow.

It of course has the later cab.

Tim V

Well done....spot on!!

Whilst many of us can change the number plates, smokebox plate, there also many who can't.  Whilst these Dapol models are absolutely fabulous, this example has been let down by lack of coordinated research..

Within two hours we have done what the manufacturer should have done.

May I suggest future models should be announced but without numbers and we consumers vote of preferred numbers through a RM poll. Would anyone like to see those condensing 97xx that were all based at Old Oak Common for working over the Met with the Billingsgate Market trains...preferrably with the Collett cabs!!!!

Tim V

Well done....spot on!!

Whilst many of us can change the number plates, smokebox plate, there also many who can't.  Whilst these Dapol models are absolutely fabulous, this example has been let down by lack of coordinated research..

Within two hours we have done what the manufacturer should have done.

May I suggest future models should be announced but without numbers and we consumers vote of preferred numbers through a RM poll. Would anyone like to see those condensing 97xx that were all based at Old Oak Common for working over the Met with the Billingsgate Market trains...preferrably with the Collett cabs!!!!

I would love to see them. However as their sidetanks were quite different form normal 57XX panniers, somehow I doubt if we will.

I have one of these in 4mm done in brass.

Chris

• 3 months later...

Just seen the latest batch of Panniers have arrived. The "British Railways" marked one is slightly spoiled by having a red disc rather than a blue one. I thought that the same mistake had been pointed out to them when they relesed 8762 with a red disc. :(

http://www.ehattons.com/58834/Dapol_2S_007_004_Class_57xx_Pannier_tank_steam_loco_9741_in_British_Railways_green_livery/StockDetail.aspx

Archived