Dapol 57xx pannier - Photo Review

Andy Y

Oops! Yes, the right hand side photos do show a backward-facing lion, which is wrong for the early BR emblem, but the left hand side looks fine to me!

Ho Hum. And look how all the posts on here were commenting on the font size of the smokebox number, but missed that one staring us in the face.

I suppose it is possible that there were prototype locos with the wrong transfer applied, and 6713 has that non-standard rear bufferbeam number. But I just scanned through a number of books and found no examples. So it looks most likely to be wrong.

Plenty of photos though of locos with the emblem totally obscured by the grime. That might be the solution!

Chris

Shame - easy to change with a transfer, but looking at Dapol's rendition of the crest, it actually looks finer and better than any transfer I've seen, so I'd prefer to keep it if only it was the right way round....!

Maybe have to wait until the second run....

Cheers,

Alan

Mine at least will have NCB on the tank eventually, so the transfer will have to come off anyway.

To reply to Dr Al, getting the Chinese factory to correct any decoration error isn't easy, especially if the decoration prototype was unchallenged. Even then, new errors can creep in- the LBSCR Terriers with black wheels when the spec was brown- and these WERE the second batch after the first one was right......

All the very best

Les

I shall just buy the BR late crest one instead. Glad I didn't pre-order now.

Chris

Chris, and others,

We don't know yet whether or not the 'backward facing lion' was a one-off mistake on a single model used for the publicity shots and a review, nor, if it is a more general error at the decoration stage, whether or not Dapol will be able to rectify the situation. So perhaps waiting for more information will be more appropriate than cancelling any pre-orders for this particular version.

I've just sent Dapol Dave a question about this.

Richard

Chris, and others,

We don't know yet whether or not the 'backward facing lion' was a one-off mistake on a single model used for the publicity shots and a review, nor, if it is a more general error at the decoration stage, whether or not Dapol will be able to rectify the situation. So perhaps waiting for more information will be more appropriate than cancelling any pre-orders for this particular version.

I've just sent Dapol Dave a question about this.

Richard

Given Dave posts in here regularly, including on other threads today, I would of thought he is capable of reading and answering it.

Anyway, I didn't cancel any pre-order, I never made one. Nor have I recommended that for others. I have just changed my mind about which one I will purchase. I can make my own mind up about what is appropriate.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

These are now in the shops, or in one case in my house waiting to be run in.

First very quick impression is of just how much of an improvement this is over the Farish models. Oh boy am I glad that I sold those versions a few weeks ago.

I've decided that as I have a Dean Sidings open-cab GW saddletank in the early throes of construction (I lost the will to live threading handrail knobs) I'm going to let my Dapol pannier run in then see if its chassis fits the saddletank. If so, it will give me an opencab saddletank with an open cab......

If it doesn't I'll use the farish pannier I kept back for the purpose, and stick with my original plan of putting NCB on the tanks. I wonder if I should be a heretic and paint it blue first?

Just a thought

Les

I got hold of a plack pannier from "Plus Daughters" at Spalding yesterday.

Herewith a shot of it next to a Farish one I kept for its chassis. The lion on the other side is still the wrong way round, but this beast is to lose its lions in any case.

post-13358-0-67765700-1352708158_thumb.jpg

Run-in quite well. One thing, after about 45 mins it started to get a bit hesitant. I gave it a spin on a Minitrix wheel cleaner (30 sec each way at full power) and it immediately ran smoothly again. Hesitance could be a result of the wheel coating starting to bed in.

All the very best

Les

I got hold of a plack pannier from "Plus Daughters" at Spalding yesterday.

Herewith a shot of it next to a Farish one I kept for its chassis. The lion on the other side is still the wrong way round, but this beast is to lose its lions in any case.

post-13358-0-67765700-1352708158_thumb.jpg

Run-in quite well. One thing, after about 45 mins it started to get a bit hesitant. I gave it a spin on a Minitrix wheel cleaner (30 sec each way at full power) and it immediately ran smoothly again. Hesitance could be a result of the wheel coating starting to bed in.

All the very best

Les

Am I wrong, or does that Dapol Pannier have its coupling rods on upside down?

My eyesight is not what it was, but it looks like it to me.

They are the right way up on the review samples.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Chris

Does look like it, however having just checked my version it would appear that this is a one off as mine are the correct way round.

• RMweb Premium

Having run mine in now, comments to make would be that it is a lovely if slightly noisy runner that really looks the part. The extra body details are fantastic compared to the old Farish one. It is a shame however that the "skirt" is present.

Next step will be to pop a decoder in and see how it runs with that.

Chris

The rods certainly look upside down to me.

I would also observe though that while the Dapol model is undoubtedly much more modern, finely detailed (as one would expect) with many individually fitted parts, see through spokes, underframe detail, DCC ready chassis etc.. the much older and simpler Farish model actually stands scrutiny next to it much better than I would have expected. I would also add that the flanges look much finer.

Roy

Does look like it, however having just checked my version it would appear that this is a one off as mine are the correct way round.

I've had a close look- the rods are the correct way on the other side, and inverted on this side! Too much gubbins in the way to take the rod off and invert it so I'll leave it until I dismantle the beast to use its chassis under the saddletank body.

The fact that the flanges appear slightly deeper than the Farish one might help it through Peco points- there have been a few of these on layouts I've been associated with over the years that Chinese Farish 0-6-0s don't like.

All the very best

Les

I've had a close look- the rods are the correct way on the other side, and inverted on this side! Too much gubbins in the way to take the rod off and invert it so I'll leave it until I dismantle the beast to use its chassis under the saddletank body.

Unless the rods have fluting on both sides (no idea on that) you will not be able to turn it over.

Chris

I've looked at the flanges on both panniers again.

Using the best method available to me- a steel scale ruler under a bench magnifier, I can't find any appreciable difference in the flange depth. - any difference wasn't consistent and is certainly within the limits of the method used. Someone with a digital micrometer might find one, but there isn't a significant difference.

However the Farish wheel rims are much brighter, and the light was uneven. I took a second pic at the same time with the pair nose to nose but didn't post it. This might even out some of the light differences. Here it is.

post-13358-0-18456800-1352879774_thumb.jpg

I would say that ANY discrepancies of scale pale into insignificance compared with the track they're standing on........

All the very best

Les

Hi everyone,

I can confirm the 3 remaining pannier decorations started to go out to stockists yesterday/ today.

Usual get out of jail free card applies.

Cheers

Dave

Are these the ones with ND2xx numbers? I want to order from Hattons and don't want to inadvertently pre-order one that is due next year.

Archived