Class 33

stock_2007

• RMweb Premium

A picture here - http://paulbartlett....19ED3#h2bed0390

Flashing orange light fitted to the lamp bracket. Same sort of thing shown here: http://www.flickr.co...N05/6101310782/

May have been different in earlier days

Note that in the linked picture the lamp is not in fact placed on the lamp bracket but is plugged into a socket specially fitted to several class 33 locos for the purpose IIRC. The lamp and bell units were kept at Weymouth and not allowed to "roam". Electric power generated by the locomotive was used for the warning device.

Thank you all for your help, on a kind of side note could anyone point me toward where I could find a track plan of the Weymouth quey-side area.

By far the best text on the line is given in the book The Weymouth Harbour Tramway by John Lucking OPC ISBN 0860933040 - a must have book for anyone with an interest in the line. It covers the history in detail and all the "many" changes to the track plan, it also contains some very good photographs of the line and its locos.

Another "thinner" reference is given in the Middleton Press "Branch Lines Around Weymouth" ISBN 0906520657 which contains a not to scale line schematic and a few photos.

I also recommend a search of RMWeb where there is a previous thread (or two) discussion the tramway with further references.

Edited by Kenton

• 1 year later...

As far as I know, (and reading various references, not that means they are correct), ALL 33s that became 33/1s were fitted with the socket when they went in to have the high-level hoses, jumpers, buffing-plate, etc. fitted as part of the push-pull modifications in 1968.

Edited by John Oxlade

Actually, I am going to correct myself.

Looking through Middleton Press' "Wareham to Swanage, 50 years of change", there's a photo of D6529 converted with high-level brake pipes but it DOES NOT have the lamp socket below the left-hand lamp bracket, so either they weren't fitted at the same time or not all had them.

• 6 years later...
On 15/10/2013 at 20:04, John Oxlade said:

Actually, I am going to correct myself.

Looking through Middleton Press' "Wareham to Swanage, 50 years of change", there's a photo of D6529 converted with high-level brake pipes but it DOES NOT have the lamp socket below the left-hand lamp bracket, so either they weren't fitted at the same time or not all had them.

It appears to be the case the sockets were added later. I have several pictures of 33s post conversion to push-pull that will appear in my forthcoming book on the class and the socket is absent.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1