Lulworth Castle, 1930's to 2000's

PaulRhB

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ok so Lulworth has retired from outings but still very much used at home. My involvement with modular groups for three other gauges means I started doodling ideas to have a second station so I could run from A-B. I’d tried Havenstreet-ish ideas but the announcement of the LNWR Precedent got me thinking I could turn the fiddleyard into another station for the growing collection of pre group locos. 
So an idea formed for a very compact terminus viewed from the other side so in each case the other scene becomes the fiddleyard / other station. I can squeeze a 42ft turntable on by offsetting it out of the front edge and this will allow a loco released by the station pilot to turn then return to its train in the other platform. Locos doing the runaround on the Lulworth half can also use the turntable when the disappear under the bridge. 
It’s limited by the space I have to 12ft long so I can get round both sides in the room as it’s 17ft long with bookcases either end. 
Anyway here’s the doodle and remember it’s only a home layout ;)

4DD622FA-A78A-45FB-8861-72CF1A89E07B.png.3a6da5e20926e76526bd4fa4fe77de32.png

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Looks neat but it seems a shame to waste length on a platform end building when you could have had a crossover for a run round.   Can you actually get to both sides?

Screenshot (137).png

Edited by DavidCBroad

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

Looks neat but it seems a shame to waste length on a platform end building when you could have had a crossover for a run round.   Can you actually get to both sides?

Three 3ft boards exist as Lulworth and as it stands I just need to build another 3ft long board for the far end. Getting rid of the building only gains 9 inches and the crossover and headshunt would need twice that. It’s a bit of a caricature I know but as I’ve got 15ft between the bookcases 12ft allows me to walk round one end and get to both sides it also will store easily as two 3ft tall boxes stacked end on in a corner of the spare room. If I use all the 15ft I’m left with an odd 3ft board to find a home for. To be honest if I were to extend it I’d probably add the 3ft in the middle to give more distance scenically between the two stations. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

The general concept of ‘back to back’ termini viewed from opposite sides is very ingenious.

Because I have a strange obsession with being able to ‘run round’ without going ‘off-scene’ and because I’m no great fan of using turnover engines when it can be avoided, I would probably use a turntable-release at the RH terminus, though. That sort of thing fits nicely with pre-group locos, because it was still fairly common, or at least not yet rare, pre-WW1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

Screenshot (137).png

I did a similar alternative but I quite like the station forecourt with the line from the goods yard over the street. 

9249D672-4BE2-43E9-8CE8-3E79BDC06430.jpeg.ddff5e5b8d6b81c4a2d7a513e180063f.jpeg

That line could connect to my mini 3x2 Peckett Paradise layout ;) 

As you can see I’ve printed them both to mull over :) 

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

Just found this from your OO9 stuff - great idea!

Just as an FYI for the range vehicles, AFV turrets are usually traversed to the rear for transit - it makes for a shorter load, is easier to access the driver's hatch for loading/unloading/emergency and aslo reduces the risk of a barrel strike.

• Agree 1

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well it’s been quiet but with the Accurascale Scottish 37 on the way and the chaps building West Highland V4, Meanach and Tulloch Bridge corrupting me with ideas I’ve been acquiring a few Scottish area wagons for my collection when it moves to the West Highland in my head 😎

I got the Dapol Turbots but found they’d nearly need binoculars to see the next wagon! 5ft apart?!?

47D74CAE-2E97-41BA-93D6-728ABB27ED4C.jpeg.2deb1d8a8102fc7e466d531b2b899f89.jpeg

so a cunning plan 

163B2D72-BD90-4417-A264-23B168CC196E.jpeg.d5ea5e9a2f556cb228f9c88766c2683c.jpeg

the chopped pocket and coupler also had some paper glued in to tighten them up to eliminate droop. The tail chopped off after
5C514CB2-8BC3-4997-A02D-D04CFD453A84.jpeg.da289f53052f17d442a53e21f32ac1fe.jpeg

Still not perfect but halved the gap so that will do 

3544F574-FD26-466E-9D9D-78BA4FBE651A.jpeg.aa1fe0a0d163e729b2ebebf149d4bcb1.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, sb67 said:

That's nice work on the couplings. I might try that with some other wagons I have. What glue did you use to stick them together? 

Superglue, I roughed up the surface and the inside of the pocket with a needle file to give more key as it’s slippery plastic. Just to get rid of the shiny surface. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A bit of a retrospective on Lulworth as many of the photos are still missing at present. I’d been constantly mulling over the extension ideas and decided that I really needed a longer loop for the trains I want to run so it may be time to start again, negotiations for a new home may well see Lulworth move to a good friend and get it back out in the circuit and make space for a longer replacement that can accommodate my alternative sets of stock. So while that goes on here’s some of the story of Lulworth Castle. 

From the basic frames 

Lulworth Castle Layout 2014/15

Grew the layout base

which all stacked in two trollies made from built in fridge panels. 

Packed away it looked like furniture. 

Lulworth Castle layout 2014

And setup at home or shows to play trains. 

Lulworth Castle OO

Lulworth Castle OO

The primary idea was a Southern branch line using all rtr components, trains, buildings from the Scenecraft ranges. 

Lulworth Castle OO

Signal from Borg Rail and points from Marcway with C&L track. 

Lulworth Castle OO

Lulworth Castle OO

Lulworth Castle OO

Lulworth Castle OO

I had MOD trains to the ranges at Lulworth Camp

Lulworth Castle OO

The branch to the camp on the front of the layout

Lulworth Castle OO

and it also served Povington Pit Clay works. 

Lulworth Castle OO

Lulworth Castle OO

Of course you always find a flaw in the design at a show and have to make a temporary fix, the bufferstop kept disappearing . . .

Lulworth Castle OO

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

So in modern mode it had a few changes in small buildings

Lulworth Castle OO layout

Warley NEC 2018

And accessories 

Warley NEC 2018

Even the clay traffic still survived

and more techniques were tried and tested

Some techniques tried out by guest operators were less successful 

Modifications were always made to tweak the operating potential, some weren’t subtle!

Lulworth kadee magnets

But overall it was fun to build and operate and learn what else I wanted. If all goes well it will soon travel a few miles south to a new home and my fondness for modules will be tried out in OO with another idea. 

Peckett

Lulworth No11 may have to find a different cargo to shunt too. 

Like the mini magnets and metal signs idea. One squirrelled away for the future. Thanks for this repost, I’ve always been impressed by your posts on this authentically plausible layout.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Lovely layout. Love the steam era but i do also like the 1990s/2000s - works well and love the 37 on slurry wagons - redolent of Cornish clay in the 1990s or the Quidhampton traffic when I worked in the railfreight business. Brilliant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Devonbelle said:

or the Quidhampton traffic when I worked in the railfreight business.

There’s a good reason for that as I enjoyed the 37’s coming and going on the Quidhampton tanks as it’s my patch 😎 Unfortunately the early digi pics lost in a hard drive failure but here’s one of Viking in 2003 on an engineering train at Salisbury 

Salisbury 2000-3

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1