Lulworth Castle, 1930's to 2000's

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Well there's plenty of both of those subjects underway too ;)

I did just order a MMRG special edition split 37 to go with my Scottish stock for when Lulworth changes identity at home :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I settled on a storage cabinet that passes the, it looks like furniture so it's allowed in the house, test pretty quickly but I was still trying to find a solution to the wheelchair user layout height issue.The cabinet is designed to stack so it can be put in the car should I choose to exhibit it and my initial idea was to support the middle board on it and then put the other boards either end with their own legs. This gives a track height of 1230mm, 4ft. I did a bit of research and found some documents on designing for wheelchair users and these give an average eyelevel of 1080mm, 3ft 6 1/2inches, for an adult in a wheelchair. Thanks to someone on the NGRM forum who checked using a friends chair this seems about right and still leaves the layout at a convenient height for me standing to operate.attachicon.gifcabinet height for display pt2.JPGI settled on a baseboard top height of 1000mm, or 3ft 3in, to allow a bit of leeway and for the average height look slightly down on the model.I also used this to see what the eye line would be for a 6ft 4in (me) stood in front so the lighting rig doesn't block the view at this height for taller people.I'm intending to have the bacscene boards seperate so I can make them taller and still fit in the storage cabinet with extra stock boxes etc.attachicon.gifcabinet height for display.JPG

Not seen this before (I followed your link today from another thread) and think something like your graphic should be a pinned item on the layouts thread. Not wanting to restart the endless threads on height of layouts but your graphic clearly shows dimensions for the two relevant design issues (1) can both short & tall people see it & (2) comfortable height for operators.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold

Hi, just came across this while looking for 'don't move my wagons about you kadee magnets you' solutions and it looks like a great solution. How reliable has this solution been in use?

I simplified it again to a drop flap with the magnet on. The main issue with the neodymium magnets is although strong it's a very limited area so stopping had to be very precise. The wider flat magnet needs to be closer but allows nearly an inch long uncoupling area so much better in use if locos have momentum for their sound chips.

I simplified it again to a drop flap with the magnet on. The main issue with the neodymium magnets is although strong it's a very limited area so stopping had to be very precise. The wider flat magnet needs to be closer but allows nearly an inch long uncoupling area so much better in use if locos have momentum for their sound chips.

Brilliant, thank you.  I was thinking about using neodymium magnets due to the smaller field but I see your point about having to be more precise.  Did you use the Kadee magnet on the flap in one piece or did you cut it into smaller pieces to use on several flaps?

Cut in two which is easy with a Stanley knife. I'm using that method in both layouts now. Cutting the intensifier plate is more fun ;)

Thank you for the advice.  Cutting the intensifier plate should be easy enough with an angle grinder!  Any excuse to spray sparks everywhere.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Five years down the line and yesterday I finally drew up a neat trackplan!

Going to get the layout back up in a couple of weeks once the Harz one is stored away again so I can do a few detailing jobs and just play trains before it's next outing in November at the Poole show

post-6968-0-37529000-1506083772_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've got three of the DccConcepts loco lifts so I've straightened out the middle siding so there are two places I can drop them in to change trains faster. Ive put cork blocks at the closed end to put more pressure on the track for good contact and it makes the entry end lock in place more positively.

I also made up plastic end stops so I don't pour the train out as I lift it ;)

post-6968-0-42981700-1507113755_thumb.jpg

Testing the Oxford Warwells on the sharpest corners with Kadee no.18 nem couplers.

post-6968-0-33047300-1507113775_thumb.jpg

The Warwells have a thin wash of Tamiya XF58 olive green and then a thinner black wash to darken them a bit.

post-6968-0-82275900-1507113793_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A very pleasant day at the Poole show and the first outing for the clay works No.11 Tyneham.

Just needs some light weathering.

post-6968-0-81155500-1509914206_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-44360000-1509914226_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-49375900-1509914248_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-68232500-1509914264_thumb.jpg

And these Charioteers were built to go in the warwells but proved too wide so I'm a little unsure of the stories of cromwells fitting on them as they share the same chassis.

post-6968-0-32186300-1509914279_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Next outings for Lulworth will be;

Mendip 2018 on the 9 & 10th June where we will be running 1960's both days.

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/16583-SheptonandDistrictMRSExhibition

Warley 2018 on 24-25 November and it will be steam on the Saturday and Diesels on the Sunday.

http://www.thewarleyshow.co.uk/4mm.html

Hi Paul

Lovely looking layout. Well done with the Charioteers, I haven't seen those modelled before. As you say they should fit on the warwells albeit with some overhang.....unless they are to 1/72 scale.

I bought some diecast Warrior MCVs for my warwells, they are tight on the limit in real life so the diffence between 1/76 and 1/72 is very noticeable.

I know what you mean.....Airfix 1/76 or 1/72 should not be taken literally for all their afv's. Their Panzer iv is very good but obviously no use for a load on a warwell!

They do look great on the bridge.

Half a track width overhang should be ok, afterall what could go wrong? :-)

Having thought further, the Charioteer, Cromwell, Comet etc have twinned road wheels, so although there is some track overhang, the tank (destroyer) would be resting on the deck of the warwell on the inner roadwheels, so all's well :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I like it, especially as you stuck to SouthWest Trains. But you might upset some Swanage preservation people... ;)

;) I'm a life member of SR ;) One of the proposals was for a TOC to operate a service mixed with preserved services and there were a few times 159's got there in SWT livery so a not too far fetched a what if ;)
  • Like 1