LMS Jubilee and some ex LNER (or early BR) Pacifics.

mikemeg

Mike G,

Yes more polishing still to do. There are a number of jobs still to do on this loco but I couldn't resist taking a photo and, as I did, the sun came out.

So it's one of those mid to late Autumn days when the sun, low in the sky, briefly pierces the heavy, grey clouds, bathing everything around in that pale golden light. A Peppercorn A1, still in its apple green livery, though with BR markings, is held at Hessle Haven as it makes its way into Hull.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-39075800-1351948322.jpg

Mike G,

So it's one of those mid to late Autumn days when the sun, low in the sky, briefly shines through an overcast sky, bathing everything around in that pale golden light. An A1 is held at Hessle Haven as it makes its way into Hull.

Cheers

I pressume the Haven signalman has brought him to a stand at the Home signals, and is then to draw him forward to the signal box, to tell him, he as no Tail Lamp. No doubt, a lot of "Form 1's" would be issued that day. Best Wishes, Mick.

Mike

The Bachmann keeper plate, which has already surrendered its front end to the new chassis is now further butchered. First the six brakes must be sawn off it, though these are re-used. After that the six driving wheel springs are to be removed and those will be discarded. This will leave the keeper plate with only the phosphor bronze pickups and pick up strips on and this assembly will be re-fitted to the chassis to provide the electrical pick up.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-22986800-1351959572.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

See what you've gone and done now Mike!.....

post-6920-0-89818200-1352806484_thumb.jpg

I got this one last week at a knock down price on ebay. It's "Hong Kong", although I'm hoping to renumber and rename it as "Southern Rhodesia" if the boiler/firebox/tender configuration works out. Any advice greatly received on this one. As a second choice, I'd like her to be "Northern Rhodesia" - there's a link here which I'll explain in my thread when the time arrives.

So Mike, since this purchase is your fault, and I really have no idea when it comes to steamers, I'll wait for you to start yours and nick a few ideas and methods if that's ok with you?.....

Cheers.

Sean.

See what you've gone and done now Mike!.....

post-6920-0-89818200-1352806484_thumb.jpg

I got this one last week at a knock down price on ebay. It's "Hong Kong", although I'm hoping to renumber and rename it as "Southern Rhodesia" if the boiler/firebox/tender configuration works out. Any advice greatly received on this one. As a second choice, I'd like her to be "Northern Rhodesia" - there's a link here which I'll explain in my thread when the time arrives.

So Mike, since this purchase is your fault, and I really have no idea when it comes to steamers, I'll wait for you to start yours and nick a few ideas and methods if that's ok with you?.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Sean,

I will happily accept the blame and my Jubilee is also Hong Kong so we can't have two at 'the Haven'. It'll be early next year before I get around to the Jubilee, however, I still have three more Pacifics to do.

For me there are a few machines, made by mankind, which are just intrinsically 'right'; the Spitfire, Concord, clipper ships and steam locomotives and some others. They somehow managed to combine functional design with aesthetics to produce something which was and is, always, just a sheer joy to behold; their sight lifts the spirits.

Cheers

Mike

Sean,

I will happily accept the blame and my Jubilee is also Hong Kong so we can't have two at 'the Haven'. It'll be early next year before I get around to the Jubilee, however, I still have three more Pacifics to do.

For me there are a few machines, made by mankind, which are just intrinsically 'right'; the Spitfire, Concord, clipper ships and steam locomotives and some others. They somehow managed to combine functional design with aesthetics to produce something which was and is, always, just a sheer joy to behold; their sight lifts the spirits.

Cheers

Mike

I have to agree Mike.

Railways aside, for me it is the Lancaster bomber, currently flying with the Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight. I have a very good friend who works in the RAF fire service and I was very lucky whilst visiting him on base to be standing near the runway as she took off. A sight and sound that will stay with me to my grave.

Anywho, I'll not be rushing into my Jubilee as the first part of next year will be taken up with my Trans - Pennine set. In the meantime though, I'll be researching what's available to help in the detailing of these loco's. Glad you're "on board" though - you were a big help with my K1 which was the first steam loco to expose my complete lack of knowledge in the steam department.....

He heh.

Cheers.

Sean.

I have to agree Mike.

Railways aside, for me it is the Lancaster bomber, currently flying with the Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight. I have a very good friend who works in the RAF fire service and I was very lucky whilst visiting him on base to be standing near the runway as she took off. A sight and sound that will stay with me to my grave.

Anywho, I'll not be rushing into my Jubilee as the first part of next year will be taken up with my Trans - Pennine set. In the meantime though, I'll be researching what's available to help in the detailing of these loco's. Glad you're "on board" though - you were a big help with my K1 which was the first steam loco to expose my complete lack of knowledge in the steam department.....

He heh.

Cheers.

Sean.

Oh I can go with you on the Lancaster too. That sound of four Rolls Royce Merlins, straining to lift the thing into the air and just the sight of one flying. I once knew a guy who flew three tours 1943/44, each of thirty missions, in Lancasters; sadly now passed on. He confounded the odds for two years to survive; he was always known as 'lucky' even in his final years, he gained that name during those flying years. We all considered ourselves lucky to have known him.

Many thanks for the postings, Sean, and here's to you and more steam conversions.

Very best regards

Mike

Anywho, I'll not be rushing into my Jubilee ... I'll be researching what's available to help in the detailing of these loco's.

Sorry to be adding to what looks like a good thread sometime in the future...

Sean

Brassmasters do a lot of detailing parts that are available separately.

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/accessories.htm

Bound to find something that will be appropriate. Hope this helps with the shopping.

Mike

We had 2 pilots and a gunner on our dart team years ago. They had survived more than most could imagine. They would argue for hours about the virtues of the Lancaster against the Halifax as they both had flown in different squadrons. They would also rib the poor tail gunner who had actually done more missions than the other two. They said his poor sense of direction was due to travelling backwards everywhere for 3 years.

As I sit here, the painting above my computer is of R5868, a Lancaster on my dad's squadron, 83, during the earlier war years. It carries the markings OL Q for Queenie.

It was later transferred to an Australian squadron who completed it's 100 tours and it is now in our National museum....marked up as an aircraft of the Aussie squadron, a fact which bothered my father up to his death.

The same aircraft used to stand as gate guardian at RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire. My father had been based there and at Wyton.

As I sit here, the painting above my computer is of R5868, a Lancaster on my dad's squadron, 83, during the earlier war years. It carries the markings OL Q for Queenie.

It was later transferred to an Australian squadron who completed it's 100 tours and it is now in our National museum....marked up as an aircraft of the Aussie squadron, a fact which bothered my father up to his death.

The same aircraft used to stand as gate guardian at RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire. My father had been based there and at Wyton.

I remember that aircraft, standing at Scampton. Wasn't there also a 'tall boy' and a 'grand slam' on display by the side of it?

Cheers

Mike

Mike (mikemeg), looks like you'll have a few of us poring over your Jubilee conversion and I'll be another one.

…Brassmasters do a lot of detailing parts that are available separately.

http://www.brassmast...accessories.htm

Bound to find something that will be appropriate. Hope this helps with the shopping.

Mike

Unfortunately, Brassmasters appear to have dropped their plans (temporarily at least) for a Jubilee detailing kit but that could be because they didn't expect the Bachmann model to be so good - it's so much better than Hornby's Black 5 - or that they are now planning an EasyChas for it. So my Jubilee conversion from, you guessed it, Hong Kong, to 45634 Trinidad will have to wait a while too.

I remember that aircraft, standing at Scampton. Wasn't there also a 'tall boy' and a 'grand slam' on display by the side of it?

Cheers

Mike

That's right, both still with it.

The aircraft carries Goering's boast, "No enemy aircraft shall ever fly over the Reich".

And over 100 mission stickers, LOL

If you read Walter Thompson's "Lancaster to Berlin", he says that particular aircraft was a "clunker", wouldn't get up to normal flight celing, so was usually BELOW the flak. Plus she was a pig to keep level........

Sorry for the hi-jack.

If true, I wonder if that might take sales away from their full Jubilee kit?

It was just speculation on my part but I'm wondering if there might be a double benefit for BM, as someone like me, for instance, who would like a hanful of Jubilees on my fleet. I would buy an EasiChas or two, for converting RTRs, then very probably buy the full kit for when I felt my skills were up to tackling it.

Archived