Waverley Route new image links and discussion

'CHARD

I have recently acquired a number of slides off E Bay described as originals , they are in the correct Kodachrome card mounts imprinted with the relevant processing dates for the image portrayed but either taken with an inferior camera or are possibly duplicates. Against the duplicate theory is that there are a vast number still unsold where the subject matter wasn't worth the trouble and expense of duplicating. The majority have no subject details etc but I have managed to identify them. I think this one is Borthwick Bank Box with a Brittania on a down goods. Date looks like Sept 65. Can anyone confirm and does the image ring any bells as to the photographer.

Ernie

Borthwick Bank 700xx dn freight, possSept65 img586.jpg

• Like 4

On 04/01/2020 at 19:04, Irishswissernie said:

I think this one is Borthwick Bank Box with a Brittania on a down goods. Date looks like Sept 65. Can anyone confirm and does the image ring any bells as to the photographer.

It's definitely Borthwick Bank, down - sadly though, I'm non the wiser as to the date and/or photographer, Ernie. Lovely image though!  

• Like 1

Here's one that's annoying me at the moment.  It turned up in one of my periodic Google searches, titled "Calstock viaduct, Cornwall".  I'm halfway through building a model of Barns Viaduct so I'm not fooled by the Cornish red herring, but I can't find any more than this tiny image of type 4 superpower bound for Carlisle. Just to make it more interesting the image title includes "D231", and if that is a reference to the loco it's a long way from its home depot of Rugby (1F). Obviously 1966 or later from the blue/grey BG and midwinter from the lack of foliage, but only three passenger coaches (and possibly two of them brake ends)  which seems a bit short to me.  

Railway-Slide-DE1020-40-D231-SYLVANIA-Gy-on.jpg

16 hours ago, Richard Hall said:

Here's one that's annoying me at the moment.  It turned up in one of my periodic Google searches, titled "Calstock viaduct, Cornwall".  I'm halfway through building a model of Barns Viaduct so I'm not fooled by the Cornish red herring, but I can't find any more than this tiny image of type 4 superpower bound for Carlisle. Just to make it more interesting the image title includes "D231", and if that is a reference to the loco it's a long way from its home depot of Rugby (1F). Obviously 1966 or later from the blue/grey BG and midwinter from the lack of foliage, but only three passenger coaches (and possibly two of them brake ends)  which seems a bit short to me.  

The Colour Rail reference from my own copy of this says it was D347 in June 1968. Bruce might have more detail though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 37175 said:

The Colour Rail reference from my own copy of this says it was D347 in June 1968. Bruce might have more detail though.

I've dug out the TIF supplied to me by Bruce and it looks like it's got a square headcode box at No.1 end, and the numbers actually look like D367.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Richard Hall said:

Happy New Year to all this thread's contributors and observers; the train pictured is a relatively typical formation for the lunchtime 2M52 Waverley - Citadel, the BG may be on there for some traffic reason, in place of another 4-wheel van type.  Repositioning of NPCCS vehicles using the daytime service trains was far from unknown and this may be one such example.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks chaps, not quite as interesting a find as I had hoped.  Glad to see you back 'Chard, it has been a bit quiet hereabouts lately and I need all the WR inspiration I can get right now.  I'm building baseboards for Stobs and whatever else I may be, I'm no carpenter.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Just a quick one, does know if 60045 Lemberg even travelled, or is likely to have travelled over the Waverley, I know various other english based a3’s did so but I’m unsure about 60045. I have recently got hold of a kit built example of 60045 which needed the chassis and motion rebuilt but the body just needed touching up. So I’d rather not change the name and number because they’ve been nicely done.

65CBEA9E-B9EE-42F4-8232-8277309E28B1.jpeg

A number of years ago I got from the Hawick & District MRC a spreadsheet list of steam locos recorded as having worked through Hawick, and 60045 Lemberg is included under the A3s - no date(s) or details of workings, though.

HTH.

Alasdair

On 29/04/2020 at 07:43, Richard Hall said:

Found this Gerald Robinson photo while researching V2 identities.  I haven't seen it (or the location) before: unusual side of the line to take pictures.  (Edited to add: I initially thought this must have been north of the tunnel due to the distant signal: it must be further than I thought from the South portal to Whitrope box.)

60835.jpg

Looks like one of the Gerald Robinson photos he allowed WRHA to use, then someone went and photographed them on display at Whitrope and uploaded them to Flickr ... needless to say we weren't impressed!

3 minutes ago, 37175 said:

Looks like one of the Gerald Robinson photos he allowed WRHA to use, then someone went and photographed them on display at Whitrope and uploaded them to Flickr ... needless to say we weren't impressed!

Oh, do you want me to take it down?  I hadn't realised there was an issue.

Richard

1 hour ago, 37175 said:

By the way, the Up Main Distant that you can see part way down the train is 365 yards north of Whitrope Siding signal box. 

Copyright shenanigans apart, that strikes me as an awfully short distance between Distant and Home.  I realise Up trains wouldn't be travelling fast at that point, but presumably there was a banner repeater just before the North portal?

14 hours ago, Richard Hall said:

Copyright shenanigans apart, that strikes me as an awfully short distance between Distant and Home.  I realise Up trains wouldn't be travelling fast at that point, but presumably there was a banner repeater just before the North portal?

I'm not sure, but I don't think there was. I've attached a very basic diagram I made about twenty years ago showing distances of all signals from Whitrope Siding 'box - hopefully it's readable.1268834527_whitropedistancesfromsignalbox.jpg.8234f338f6082f831e8497624dd37a0c.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Permissible speed Hawick to Riccarton culvert was only 45mph and climbing at 1:92 would factor in stopping distance. 

Anything of length or weight would of had the speed scrub by the constant curvature from the north anyway.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'd understood it to be that the type 4 had failed and come to a stand just in rear of the up distant and the type 3, slightly underpowered for consist, was sent to rescue. Cant mind what Bruce told me when he sent me it years ago.

Either way, the duff is DIT and not tandem working the consist.

Edited by Iain Mac
Spelling/phrasing
  • Thanks 1