Waverley Route new image links and discussion

'CHARD

Its interesting to note that the speed limit here is now 70 as opposed to the 50 limit indicated in the photo.

I wonder if by being singled they've been able to increase the cant by such a significant margin that would allow the increased speed? 

Good question though, fegguk. 

It is possible that with just one type of train operating on the line (passenger) they have been able to increase the cant a bit. It the earlier shot the cant was set to deal with 25 mph freights though to faster passenger trains.

I haven't seen this one mentioned: 

https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=58591

Weird yellow stripe on the cab side - so weird I almost think it has to be something else.

It's certainly not an official yellow stripe. Those went from the top front corner of the cabside to the bottom rear corner - that one goes bottom front to top rear. I wonder if it's unofficial decoration, maybe done in chalk and supposed to look like a yellow stripe.

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible that with just one type of train operating on the line (passenger) they have been able to increase the cant a bit. It the earlier shot the cant was set to deal with 25 mph freights though to faster passenger trains.

That is probably the major factor, a less significant one is the change from jointed track to cwr - the latter allows an increase in the the permissible cant deficiency from 90mm to 110mm (at least these are the figures given in the 1971 edition of 'British Railway Track' and I suspect they haven't changed since) and hence an increase in the maximum speed.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know which I'm enjoying more - that fabulous old LNER parcels van (basically three standard box vans nailed together) or the fact that I now know what the station garden at Shankend looked like.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a new viewpoint for me - https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=59883 - lots of fabulous details here.  However, I'm not convinced it's the Up "Waverley" as there only appear to be a van and 4 corridor coaches - look like a BR GUV followed by the "standard" WR rake of BSK/CK/SK/BSK.  Was there a winter working (note the trees) which connected into a G&SW/Midland working at Carlisle ?  Definitely late 1962 or later as the Peak looks to have a yellow panel.

Other points of interest - the 350 in the yard to the left, what looks like a steam loco (B1 or V2?) above the afore-mentioned GUV, and something else smoking away near the south end of the Up Main platform - a PW steam crane rather than a loco?  Are those minerals a set of empties ready to be worked back to the Lothian coalfield?  Lots to ponder over !

Alasdair

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Brilliant finds, guys!  Not often that you see a tank train captured on the route, so these are really quite special.  Given the relative position of the rear of the second bogie van to the telegraph pole, the photographers were stood a few feet apart and/ or pressed the shutter a few seconds later.  I don't expect the ensemble was doing much more than 30mph.

• Like 1

Brilliant finds, guys!  Not often that you see a tank train captured on the route, so these are really quite special.  Given the relative position of the rear of the second bogie van to the telegraph pole, the photographers were stood a few feet apart and/ or pressed the shutter a few seconds later.  I don't expect the ensemble was doing much more than 30mph.

Still trying to work out where the photos were taken - not helped by the photo captions disagreeing about whether the train was headed north or south.  My best guess is about half a mile north of Shankend viaduct, going by the line curvature and the telegraph poles, but the photos I have found of that area are 10-15 years later than these and the area was more heavily forested by then.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's something out of the ordinary -

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/61/417/

Given the height of these, having walked sections of the line where they are still clearly visible - for example between Sandholm/ Hermitage and Steele Road.  I had no idea the depth to which they must be sunk into the trackbed!

Here's the visible part!

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/41/753/

and from here:  http://home.btconnect.com/Enhance-Ecosse/Hallade1.htm

The Hallade System

Edited by 'CHARD