Waverley Route new image links and discussion

'CHARD

• RMweb Premium

I am not sure if these have been on before, or even if they are any use.

https://ncap.org.uk/user-gallery/71

Unfortunately, subs are £20 p.a., which do allow you to zoom in , so I haven't explored them much.

There are apparently 26 million other photos, of which only about 350,000 have been digitised.

May be worth a look.

Regards

Ian

• Like 1

There is a rather nice uncaptioned picture just here: D1971, one of the 64B nine, at a mystery location!

Must confess, I made involuntary noises upon finding this. Not seen that angle of H***** station before, and the giveaway - yet misleading - headcode is a classic!

Post 105 on this thread - I've just found this post and am flattered that you find my schoolboy photo of D1971 at Hawick so interesting. It was taken in the second half of August 1966 when I was 14 and visiting my fathers relatives who lived in Waverley Terrace in Hawick. We always enjoyed staying with them as it commanded excellent views of the line south of Hawick Station.

To the best of my knowledge, there was no activity at 64G which had been closed a few months previously. I do, however, vividly remember the (by then) rare appearance of a couple of steam hauled trains. One northbound freight was headed by 44911 which stopped for water at Hawick. The other was 70013 southbound to Carlisle which didn't stop at Hawick.

ATB

• Like 2

Yes, and here's a shot of one lurking in Hawick shed - https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/35/9/ - some 3 months after the shed officially closed.  I used this as justification for acquiring one of the GSYP Bachmann sets....

Alasdair

If the Railscot date and my computer's calculation are both correct, the day is a Saturday.  

I had assumed that the Derby DMU came from Carlisle on the Friday evening working and left Hawick for Carlisle with the "Scud" early Saturday morning.  If memory serves me correctly, the dmu arrived back in Hawick as an ecs working from Appleby on a Saturday evening.  So what's it doing in the sidings during the early part of the day when the excursion came through Hawick?

I guess this "Carlisle" dmu normally worked some of the Sunday only journeys into Edinburgh, returning to Hawick with the (was it 9.30pm ex-Waverley on Sundays) for the Monday morning "Scud" to Carlisle.  I ought to have paid more attention when travelling back to Edinburgh on Sunday evenings from Hawick.  (On the final weekend, the Saturday ecs from Appleby didn't run.)

Perhaps someone with access to a WTT can check.

I never witnessed it, but was told that on the odd occasion, the Hawick Clayton would "bump" start the dmu on cold mornings before it worked the early morning "Scud" to Carlisle.  I can vouch for it being cold for on the only occasion - December 1968 - I caught the "Scud", the driver had a mail bag round his legs!

Bruce.

• Like 2

Yes, and here's a shot of one lurking in Hawick shed - https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/35/9/ - some 3 months after the shed officially closed. I used this as justification for acquiring one of the GSYP Bachmann sets....

Alasdair

Thanks thats just the one i was looking for, i got hold of a Bachmann derby lightweight at the perth show this year and, ive seen shots of blue liveried examples taken near st boswells, newcastleton and at carlisle citadel but wanted to see a shot of one in green which this is.

Gary

I can't recall seeing this one on here before - a nice shot of V2 60835 drifting through Ninestane Rigg Cutting towards Riccarton in June '65, Leap Hill on the far skyline. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/25038050388/

I think that may be a troop train behind 835, the same train appears in the britains lost mainline dvd with ron white.

Gary

Having a rummage round the 'net looking for pics of early Brush Type 4s (ie with fixed 3-part radiator grilles) in GSYP on Waverley Route trains, I found this -

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0957050019200 - have we seen it before ?  Looks like old platform 8 at the Waverley and could be the early/mid afternoon Up departure (14.36 / 14.45 / 15.00 depending on year).

Any pointers to images of similar GSYP Brush Type 4s would be welcome.

Alasdair

The 1st volume of the MNA four book set entitled "Never Again" MNA Books - Never Again will have a significant number of Waverley Route shots, no doubt some of them never seen before. The set isn't cheap (£120 + £10 p&p) but looks as if it will be well worth the money. For anyone who lives within striking distance of Kidderminster, the photographic exhibition at the railway museum (next to the SVR station) to mark the 50th anniversaty of the end of BR standard gauge steam includes quite a few Waverley Route shots (I think mainly by MNA members), some of which were new to me. Nothing is captioned so it was quite entertaining to try and identify the locations. The exhibition runs until Sunday 19th August.

Bill

Having a rummage round the 'net looking for pics of early Brush Type 4s (ie with fixed 3-part radiator grilles) in GSYP on Waverley Route trains, I found this -

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0957050019200 - have we seen it before ?  Looks like old platform 8 at the Waverley and could be the early/mid afternoon Up departure (14.36 / 14.45 / 15.00 depending on year).

Any pointers to images of similar GSYP Brush Type 4s would be welcome.

Alasdair

Further to the above: I knew I'd seen this pic somewhere before, and a little searching through my "library" found it.  It appears to be a cropped version of a larger image which was published on page 429 of the Railway Magazine for May 1964.  The caption says "probably the first Brush Type 4 to traverse the Waverley route, No.D1517 awaiting departure from Edinburgh Waverley on December 26, 1963, with the 2.43pm to Carlisle".  The photo was attributed to David C.Smith: not shown in the cropped version was A3 No.60063 "Isinglass" at the adjacent platform (old no.9?) with the 2.25pm Newcastle train.

NB: the pic has been removed from the Class 47 site meantime pending resolution of copyright.

Alasdair

• RMweb Premium

There's a long article about Hawick shed in the latest edition of Steam Days magazine - not sure if there are any completely new images as I haven't actually bought it yet!

Bill

Part 2 is out today - 18 pages on the sub-sheds and their duties. One or two gems in the photos including the holy grail (for me) of a J37 at Kelso. 

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing where you find stuff; this is Millerhill viewed from the 'country' side, with the WR invisible beyond and beneath...

http://wmbusphotos.com/Trains/class17/D8586.html

Noting that this is of course one of the Rolls Royce twins, I can't help wondering if that's the other, off camera to the right.

• Like 1