Warley 2012

bbishop

No, not Virginontheridiculous Trains (*) but actually I've never been to this exhibition before. However I have arranged to collect the station building for Höchstädt from Kirtley Models and to recover a mislaid cash box (no, don't ask) so this will be my first time. Before acquiring my rail tickets, I thought it a good idea to check opening times etc. Finding nothing on this esteemed web site, I pottered over to Ukmodelshops to find: yes, dates of 24 & 25 November; yes, location at Birmingham International; yes, entry of £12; yes, opening times of 11:00am to 4pm.

Hang on, am I expected to fork out £12 for a maximum of 5 hours in the exhibition? To repeat the late lamented Mr Meldrew: "I don't believe it!"

I should be eternally grateful for the correct times tonight, because I'm planning to buy my tickets tomorrow.

Bill

(*) copywrite chrisf - I love it!

I know tickets are cheaper in advance - but did you mean Warley 2012 ?

Thanks Kenton, I meant 2012, put it down to advanced senility. I will buy in advance for the convenience but the discount of £1-50 will be eaten away by the cost of two stamps.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Warley is a long arduous day but most people seem to enjoy it. It pays to get your tickets in advance purely because everyone else does; so if you are planning on visiting early there will still be a huge queue to get in. The other way to do it is to saunter up for about 10am and buy a ticket without the scrum.Things to remember:- food is general exhibition fodder so if you want something healthy take your own, drinks are expensive. but the day is always enjoyable especially if you get to the RMweb meet up which is a good way to put a face to the name.

• RMweb Gold

Warley is a long arduous day but most people seem to enjoy it. It pays to get your tickets in advance purely because everyone else does; so if you are planning on visiting early there will still be a huge queue to get in. The other way to do it is to saunter up for about 10am and buy a ticket without the scrum.

Because of the way the trains worked out I have 'arrived that bit later' at times and it is definitely better than the scrummage queue approach you get with either joining the advanced ticket entrants queue or the somewhat mismanaged queue (as it has been on occasions) to buy a ticket immediately before joining the queue to get in. On balance I think train arrival at 09.37 this year with main show opening at 09.45 might work out reasonably well - even if I don't get an advanced ticket.

• RMweb Premium

I am taking 'Roundhouse' this year. Will be the first time I have exhibited at NEC.

Nice early starts as the show opens at 09.15 for advance ticket holders. Just got more details through this week.

This caused a minor problem a couple of years ago, as the fellow exhibitors at the Premier Inn our team was staying at, all wanted an early breakfast because of the time involved getting to the NEC and walking in from the car park. We rolled up to the adjacent pub for brekkie just before 7am to join a queue of about 20 , with more arriving shortly after. The doors opened at 7am to a few surprised staff.

It was a slighly hurried affair to get to the NEC as we normally like to be there at least 45 mins before opening and having a little play with the layout to check all is still well from the night before.

Needless to say, they opened for breakfast a little earlier on the Sunday.

Just like attending as a visitor to the NEC, being an exhibitor is also a unique experience compared to other shows.

Enjoy the weekend and be prepared to put up with "formalities"..............

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Mick

Yes we are prepared as heard from friends who have exhibited there over the past few years.

Breakfast is now in NEC so we can do shifts to have breakfast and operate, so we will be ready for the early opening.

Having done some of the other large shows we should be OK ith the formalities.

Ian

Ian

I'm sorry to report its just as bad getting a brekkie at the NEC - you have to set off at the sparrows fart to get across to the hall and the caff where they were serving breakfast and even then we had to queue for ages to get served. They were slow. Painfully so, on the Saturday we were still eating when joe public entered. Luckily New Hey was towards the back of the hall in the EM / P4 pens so it took JP ages to get there and leave us plenty of time to eat without incurring indigestion!! It was marginally better on the Sunday.

• RMweb Premium

This caused a minor problem a couple of years ago, as the fellow exhibitors at the Premier Inn our team was staying at, all wanted an early breakfast because of the time involved getting to the NEC and walking in from the car park. We rolled up to the adjacent pub for brekkie just before 7am to join a queue of about 20 , with more arriving shortly after. The doors opened at 7am to a few surprised staff.

It was a slighly hurried affair to get to the NEC as we normally like to be there at least 45 mins before opening and having a little play with the layout to check all is still well from the night before.

Needless to say, they opened for breakfast a little earlier on the Sunday.

Just like attending as a visitor to the NEC, being an exhibitor is also a unique experience compared to other shows.

Enjoy the weekend and be prepared to put up with "formalities"..............

Cheers,

Mick

Mick

they have altered the breakfast system - you now have it at the NEC...

• RMweb Gold

At the risk of going off-topic. Given the number of times I've stayed at otherwise perfectly good hotels where the breakfast service has gone to r@tsh1t when all the exhibitors staying there turned-up as soon as they opened in the morning, I have to applaud the Warley teams decision to provide breakfast at the venue. It's got to be better to have the option of splitting into shifts, as stated by roundhouse, rather than being at the mercy of professional hotelliers who were all taught at hotel school that at the weekends everybody comes down for breakfast late-on, in dribs and drabs. In fact, as an example, there was one Warley show where we didn't get in on the Saturday until just after the advance ticket punters had been let in. It's got to be better to have half the team at the layout while the other other half dine, then swap over. Doing it "in parallel" rather than "in series", so to speak. The punters can come in earlier, but we exhibitors get the same amount of time in bed. :-) The down side is that half have to wait for breakie, but then life is nothing if not an endless battle with the law of s0d! ;-)

• RMweb Gold

Yeah the NEC breakfast was a bit sparse too, I'd be tempted to let the scrum go for the NEC and sneak in your own at your expense at the Premier Inn and then saunter over. ;)

The early start was forced on them and the hotel couldn't cope that early last year with everyone! Having a year off the layouts and going as a punter to miss the scrum, I head for the back first and work forwards.

• RMweb Premium

I will as always be taking my breakfast with me a BLT made the night before at home costs nothing as I raid the fridge and no queuing and a fiver more to spend on models or a pint at Weatherspoons at lunchtime

As a operator of the Stafford Railways Circles new layout Whiteacres (Littleton Parkway pensioned of after last years Warley Exhinition)

I believe we need to be there by 08:15 so plenty of time to eat my BLT

Enjoy the Exhibition

Eltel.

Archived