Met 1, Steam on the London Underground & related events

Paul.Uni

Heritage Trains https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/heritage-vehicles-outings
LTM Acton Depot Open Days https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/open-weekends

• Underground Pioneer (Kensington Olympia - Moorgate) - 13 January.

Train: Met 1, Milk Van no. 3, Jubilee Carriage no. 353, the Chesham set and Sarah Siddons.

• Underground Pioneer (Kensington Olympia - Gloucester Road, Moorgate - Earl's Court) - 20 January.

Train: Met 1, Milk Van no. 3, Jubilee Carriage no. 353, the Chesham set and Sarah Siddons.

• London Transport Museum Acton Depot Open Days - 13-14 April.

Featuring: Met 1 & Prince.

• Tube 150 on the Met (Wembley Park - Amersham) - 25-27 May.

Locos: Met 1, Sarah Siddons, L150, 9466, 20142, 20189 & 20227.

Train: Steam Loco, Sarah Siddons, the 4TC set, Jubilee Carriage no.353 and 20189.

• Epping Ongar Railway - 21-24, 28-30 June & 1 July.

Locos: Met 1, L150, 1744, 4141 running as 6141 & D7523.

Rolling stock includes: Jubilee Carriage no. 353 and Dreadnaught Carriages 427 & 509.

• Buckinghamshire Railway Centre - 3-4 & 7 August.

Locos: Met 1, Gibraltar & Swanscombe running as Brill No. 1.

Rolling stock includes: Jubilee Carriage no. 353 and Dreadnaught Carriages no. 427 & 465.

• Railway Connoisseurs Day at Buckinghamshire Railway Centre - 6 August.

Locos: Met 1 & Swanscombe running as Brill No. 1.

Rolling stock includes: Jubilee Carriage no. 353 and Dreadnaught Carriages no. 427 & 465.

• Tube 150 on the Met (Wembley Park - Amersham) - 7-8 September.

Locos: Met 1, L150, 9466, 20142, 20189 & 20227.

Train: Steam Loco, 20189, the 4TC set, Jubilee Carriage no.353 and 20227.

• London Transport Museum Acton Depot Open Days - 1-3 November.

Featuring: Met 1.

• Tube 150 on the Met (Harrow-On-The-Hill - Uxbridge) - 8 December.

Train: L150, Sarah Siddons, the 4TC set, Jubilee Carriage no. 353 and 20142.

• Hammersmith & City (Northfields/Hammersmith (H&C line) - Moorgate) - 2 & 9 August.

Train: Met 1, Milk Van no. 3, the Chesham set, Jubilee Carriage no. 353 and Sarah Siddons.

• Chesham 125 (Wembley Park - Chesham) - 16-17 August.

Train: L150, Sarah Siddons, the Chesham set, Jubilee Carriage no. 353, Milk Van no. 3 and Met 1.

• Watford 90 (Harrow-on-the-Hill/Watford - Chesham) - 12-13 September.

Train: Met 1, Sarah Siddons, Jubilee Carriage no. 353, the Chesham set, Milk Van no. 3 and L150.

• Epping Ongar Railway - 15-16 July.

Locos: Met 1, 6430 & D8001.

• Summer Steam (Harrow-on-the-Hill - Amersham/Ruislip) - 9-10 September.

Train: Met 1, 9466, 20142, the 4TC set and 20205.

• Epping Ongar Railway - 12-13 May.

Locos: Met 1, D8001 and D8059.

• District Pioneer (High Street Kensington - Ealing Broadway) - 22-23 June.

Train: Met 1, the Chesham set, Metropolitan District Carriage no. 100, Jubilee Carriage no. 353 and Sarah Siddons.

Other Events

Met 1:

• Under overhaul

L92:

L150

20142 Sir John Betjeman:

•  

20227 Sherlock Holmes:

•  

Jubilee Carriage no. 353:

• Kent & East Sussex Railway

4TC:

•  
Edited by Paul.Uni

Apparently there's been people from LU looking at the Bluebell's Chesham set in the last few weeks preparing for this, the 4 wheeler being restored at Boston Lodge appears to be on the home straight and Sarah Siddons has been moved down to Eastleigh works in the last few days for reinstatement of vacuum braking equipment.

Chris

Edited by Christopher125

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent news that Steam is coming back to the Met. I really have missed this over the last decade and some of the other events look really interesting. I do hope that this might not just be a one off, even though it is part of the 150th celebrations!

It is interesting that the Museum's announcement of a ballot for tickets for the January outings stops short of stating where the trains will run! Let us hope that it will be part of the Circle Line, as tested by the well tank a few weeks back.

Chris

Great News - I think the coaches might we those from the Bluebell Line as this has been mooted!

XF

Great news indeed, my old man, Ray Wood of Neasden shed, drove L44. When it was running in 'Steam on the Met' (in the 90's) he observed with a wry smile, a twinkle in his eye and his habitual players hanging out his mouth, that 'they started it away rather gently compared to me' and while he was fond of L44, he loved the panniers. Nevertheless, this is something I'm keen to see. Great stuff and well done LU.

Regards

Matt W

• RMweb Gold

It is interesting that the Museum's announcement of a ballot for tickets for the January outings stops short of stating where the trains will run! Let us hope that it will be part of the Circle Line, as tested by the well tank a few weeks back.

Chris

Today's edition of 'Metro' says Paddington to Farringdon. But - while it mentions the tests earlier this year - it also says that it will be the first steam train to run on that route for 100 years, so presumably the 97XX I saw passing through Baker St on a trip working back from Smithfield one Saturday afternoon in the early 1960s was a reincarnation of Fowler's Ghost and wasn't really there :O

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

While the price might seem steep in terms of Pounds per mile the unique nature of the event and rolling stock to be used will make it a hugely popular event. I would expect high demand for tickets even at £150 a time notwithstanding the fact that this price will place the event way beyond the reach of many who might like to travel.

The harsh facts are that this will cost an arm and a leg to stage, valuable and elderly rolling stock is being prepared / restored at no small cost and considerable extra staff time is required. Whether or not the funding cut to the museum has any direct relevance may or may not be relevant. That has never been the cheapest of places anyway and the prices asked - for example - for "scrap" luggage racks from A-stock are well above what I consider fair and reasonable. But business is business and if there are adequate numbers able to pay the price ..... whether for a short steam-hauled trip or for an old luggage rack.

I hope the program of events is a success. It is a mighty achievement to be celebrating 150 years and with rolling stock which - while not quite that old - is certainly representative of the early years of "The Undergound". I'm too far away to participate at this stage. But if circumstances permit I might be over next summer and able to get to Neasden. The last open day I was at there celebrated "The Last Drop" - what was then thought to be the final steam on the underground back in 1971 and for which tickets were just 50p IIRC. Though we rode on brand-new C69 stock and not on the engineer's train worked by the GWR tank. ;)

Expensive, but then again a handful of return runs (plus a HLF grant) is paying for Met No1's overhaul, the restoration of a Metropolitan 4 wheeler and the refitting of Vacuum brakes to Sarah Siddons all by contractors to a tight deadline - then there's also the movement of the Bluebell's Ashbury set to and from London plus all the neccesary trial runs and mountains of paperwork required to run vacuum braked, slam door trains underground.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

The LU 150 celebration train will comprise the recently restored Metropolitan Jubilee coach 353 plius the three Metropolitan carriages from the Bluebell Railway with lMet No 1 at the east end and Sarah Siddons at the west as there are no run round facilities. It will run as follows:

Moorgate-Olympia: Olympia-Moorgate; Moorgate-Edgware Road-Moorgate; Moorgate-Edgware Road-Moorgate; and Moorgate-Earls Court.

There will be further runs on 20th January, comprising: Olympia-Moorgate; Moorgate-Baker Street-Moorgate; and Moorgate-Earls Court, all via Kings Cross.

Applications for tickets are by ballot, see the Vehicles on the Move section of the LT Museum web site for more details on times and prices

Edited by GoingUnderground

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got a ticket for an electric leg of the special trains! Thrilled! Might cost the same as a Hornby Gresley teak, but much rarer!

Just doing the maths, and assuming th trains are filled to capacit with paying passengers, and assuming 6 people per 1st compartment, and 8 per 3rd compartment, the LTM/LU will be making close to £140,000 from these 8 trips. Clearly some of the seats will be staff/managers/VIPs but that's still over 100,000 which should cover all costs of movin stock and paperwork. Just to put it in context, each steam trip hould bring in £21,600 revenue which must on a pound per mile or per hour, make it the most valuable train anywhere in the country (more than the VSOE?). Still its a one off. The chace to travel in the Cheshams through Met tunnels, with the windows open etc, is not one to be missed!