Met 1, Steam on the London Underground & related events

Paul.Uni

At grave risk of falling out with the powers that be, would this topic not sit better in the London Underground special interest sub-forum where there was a parallel thread that has been merged with this one?

After all it is a celebration of the founding of a system that is totally alive and kicking and, according to some sources, carries more passengers per day than all the other railways in the UK put together. Hardly preserved. 

Plenty more LU 150 coverage on the BBC - this morning's breakfast news covering the development of the tube map, and tonight (Fri 11th, 10pm) Radio 3's The Verb "celebrating 150 years" which might have an interesting viewpoint from the Bard of Barnsley.

Also caught a bit of Betjeman's Metro-Land on BBC4 last night: currently on iplayer at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00cyyqw/Metroland/

- for the English pedantics, mind the (hyphenated) gap between Metro and Land in the actual film, despite being billed on the TV guide as "Metroland" one word.

I couldn't quite manage Met No. 1 and the Ashburys, but we did have our own 150th birthday tribute on the new club layout. Here's L49 with a rake of Dreadnoughts...

post-8704-0-43436300-1357903193_thumb.jpg

And here is a nice line up of Met survivors. L54 was there too, but somehow I managed not to get her in any pictures!

post-8704-0-10565300-1357903365_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

The LT Museum web site now has this statement about access to platforms:

"If I don't have a ticket can I still see the steam train on its journey?
The public may be able to see the train along the route, if they have a valid ticket for general travel on the Underground and if safety allows. The safety of all our customers is paramount and therefore if Station staff or British Transport Police feel that the platforms or stations are unsafe or overcrowded, they may restrict access to the platforms or the stations.  Please also remember that flash photography is not permitted on any part of London Underground."

Sounds like they're expecting it to be popular. It might make actually getting to Moorgate to board the special trips difficult if using the northern part of the Circle line.

I wonder how they're going to cope with people alighting from scheduled trains at stations between Olympia and Moorgate just to see Train "150" pass through.

Edited by GoingUnderground

http://www.itv.com/news/london/story/2013-01-07/150-years-of-the-tube/#the-clock-goes-back-on-the-tube_143658

Nice piece from ITV, Peter Hendy is clearly enjoying himself.

Also worth a look is this
showing Sarah Siddons pulling into Baker Street, then departing with a hefty shove from No1.

Chris

Edited by Christopher125
  • Like 1

Well since L49 has done it, i thought I'd share some of our LT rolling stock, this time in a much bigger scale!

5 inch gauge scale rolling stock of Met railway goods wagons, Dreadnought coaches and a Metropolitan growler belong to myself and my dad. Unfortunately as of yet we don't possess a met steam loco, but that might change soon, and a friend is part way through building a Met Railway K class, pictured.

post-3595-0-90452200-1357944122_thumb.jpg

post-3595-0-31156800-1357944226_thumb.jpg

post-3595-0-22953900-1357944236_thumb.jpg

post-3595-0-57555500-1357944269_thumb.jpg

post-3595-0-41220300-1357944358_thumb.jpg

post-3595-0-84133400-1357944412_thumb.jpg

Also known to exist are models of a Met H class 4-4-4, and atleast 2 of the Met A classes, all in 5 inch gauge.

As an aside i am also rebuilding a pannier into LT livery, they of course had a long connection with the capitals first underground railway

Mark

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Superb!!

Was booked to work the 12:33 back from marylebone but did a swap with someone to work the 13:33 instead the result being i could make it to baker st to see the train go through a 12:25 in fact as i type this im sat in subway opposite the station having my dinner

Loads of people about, a service train dropped into the opposite platform just as 150 came through so all those set up that side missed out on photos, i had the sense to stake my spot on the same side platform 30 mins before arrival time!!

• Like 3

Superb!!

Was booked to work the 12:33 back from marylebone but did a swap with someone to work the 13:33 instead the result being i could make it to baker st to see the train go through a 12:25 in fact as i type this im sat in subway opposite the station having my dinner

Loads of people about, a service train dropped into the opposite platform just as 150 came through so all those set up that side missed out on photos, i had the sense to stake my spot on the same side platform 30 mins before arrival time!!

I have just been watching another video posted on youtube - I believe that he must have been standing next to you at Baker Street.

Thanks for posting your clip.

• Like 1

The BBC shots looked superb.  Congrats to all concerned for showing that something like this can be done on one of the country's busiest sections of railway. 

I suspect it will be more difficult bordering on the impossible come the 200th, or even the 160th, when the new signalling is in use.  So probably a case of "last chance to see". 

To have travelled on the Underground Pioneer was worth every penny!

We were the only two people in our compartment on the final run of the night from Moorgate to Earls Court, and i suspect the train wasn't full.

EDIT: I forgot to say this earlier, but would like to thank everyone who made it possible.

post-6983-0-68073500-1358164203_thumb.jpg

Edited by GoingUnderground