Met 1, Steam on the London Underground & related events

Paul.Uni

Certainly looking forward to steam on the Met as well as other things later in the year in September. Also some interesting things developing as well with all this Steam on the underground and the Met, should be good later in the year.

I went to London to see the first Steam run did a small video nothing great...

[media]

[media/] Edited by Bluebell Model Railway

Just quick update on the rest of the year from various sources.

From what i gather the jubilee coach will be running in the steam on the met services in may and September but you will not be able to ride in it because it doesn't have door bolts, that are required for 50mph running it and the runs shall be doing.

From what i hear the Dreadnought will be staying for several months at the Bucks railway centre, and i have heard from the chairman down there, Tony Lister, it will be running in the up yard with a Mk1 brake coach behind it (though why they couldn't just get two dreadnoughts down ;) ) But anyway, some report have it staying for anything upto 5 years at the centre, and it left ingrow the other day, so i imagine it is there now.

When Met 1 comes to quainton in may and august, she will be in the company of the Jubilee coach and the Met railway Milk van which is her support vehicle effectively at the moment.

Other events this year will of course be the steam on the met events, end of may bank holiday and in september time. The first of the twice annual acton depot open days will be in April this year, that is the one for modellers, lots of models of London underground stock and models in all scales. Met 1 will be in light steam there, and the jubilee and milk van will also be present.

Neasden depot are holding an open day in august, i cant remember the dates off the top of my head. Also Quainton will be holding a Met railway themed gala on first weekend of august, several of the surviving met vehicles will be out in the hopefully sunshine, and the miniature railway will be in operation, with hopefully, several 5 inch gauge and 7 1/4 inch gauge models of Met railway Steam and electric locomotives, and with some luck a large amount of 5 inch gauge Metropolitan railway rolling stock runnng around, and on display, in between passenger trains. So please come and visit us! further details of that even have yet to be confirmed.

Cheers all

Mark

Edited by London cambrian

Just quick update on the rest of the year from various sources.

From what i gather the jubilee coach will be running in the steam on the met services in may and September but you will not be able to ride in it because it doesn't have door bolts, that are required for 50mph running it and the runs shall be doing.

From what i hear the Dreadnought will be staying for several months at the Bucks railway centre, and i have heard from the chairman down there, Tony Lister, it will be running in the up yard with a Mk1 brake coach behind it (though why they couldn't just get two dreadnoughts down ;) ) But anyway, some report have it staying for anything upto 5 years at the centre, and it left ingrow the other day, so i imagine it is there now.

When Met 1 comes to quainton in may and august, she will be in the company of the Jubilee coach and the Met railway Milk van which is her support vehicle effectively at the moment.

Other events this year will of course be the steam on the met events, end of may bank holiday and in september time. The first of the twice annual acton depot open days will be in August this year, that is the one for modellers, lots of models of London underground stock and models in all scales. Met 1 will be in light steam there, and the jubilee and milk van will also be present.

Neasden depot are holding an open day in august, i cant remember the dates off the top of my head. Also Quainton will be holding a Met railway themed gala on first weekend of august, several of the surviving met vehicles will be out in the hopefully sunshine, and the miniature railway will be in operation, with hopefully, several 5 inch gauge and 7 1/4 inch gauge models of Met railway Steam and electric locomotives, and with some luck a large amount of 5 inch gauge Metropolitan railway rolling stock runnng around, and on display, in between passenger trains. So please come and visit us! further details of that even have yet to be confirmed.

Cheers all

Mark

Mark,

The first Acton Depot Open Day is April 13-14, as per http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/museum-depot/events

The first Acton Depot Open Weekend is 13&14 April and also features the Ffestiniog Railway's loco Prince. http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/museum-depot/events (Princess will also be on display at London Paddington Station from 1 March for approximately six weeks). Second weekend is 2&3 November according to the leaflet that I've got.

Neasden Open Day is 31 August.

Hi keith not sure where you got that?

Nope,the acton depot model weekend is being held in april this year instead of march, thats all, as i'm sure you'll know.

There is a seperate event being put on by The bucks railway centre at quainton road, first weekend of August, where Met 1, 353, the dreadnought, the milk van and other things will all be there. Also running will be the miniature railway which is on the same site, its just that we are hoping to have several large scale model Met steam locos there, in steam, though i dont know if we'll be offering rides behind them, they'll probably be hauling scale rolling stock.

and of course the Neasden depot open day. So its pretty mcuh as advertised on various sites, so it was a quick round up.

Cheers

Mark

Hi keith not sure where you got that?

Your earlier post:

............The first of the twice annual acton depot open days will be in August this year, that is the one for modellers, lots of models of London underground stock and models in all scales. Met 1 will be in light steam there, and the jubilee and milk van will also be present.

• 4 weeks later...

Details of the Epping Ongar Railway LU150 event have been announced http://eorailway.co.uk/extras/special-events/

21-24th June, 28th June-1st July - LU150 Event

We join with London Transport Museum to celebrate the 150th birthday of the Underground. Steam locomotive Met No. 1, heritage Metropolitan coach No. 353 and special guests attending.**

23 June - Ongar Carnival; travel by heritage train and bus to this extensive carnival and fete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

just worked a train into london and passing over the A41 blackthorn bridge i noticed Met No 1 on an alleys low loader stopped and blocking the road with a bloke sat on top eyeing up the gap between the chimney and bridge!

hope it fits

• 4 weeks later...

Updated details for the May runs http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/events/vehicles-on-the-move

Art Deco Special

Date: Sunday 19 May

Our beautiful Art Deco special – the 1938 Tube stock train, and the latest vehicle to our heritage collection, the A stock, will make journeys to Metro-land as part of the Rickmansworth festival. The Friends of the London Transport Museum are providing a free heritage bus service, which will be available throughout the day, running between Rickmansworth Station and Batchworth Lock where the festival is taking place (link to the festival).

Tickets: Priced between £5 and £20. Tickets will be released for sale from the 8 April. Please sign up to our e-Newsletter for the latest event announcements.

Steam back on the Met

Date: Saturday 25 to Monday 27 May

Experience the golden age of steam with the return of the newly restored Metropolitan Steam Locomotive No. 1 to the Metropolitan line and experience first-hand what riding a steam train is really like!  Customers can travel in either the recently restored ex Metropolitan Jubilee Coach, dating back to the 1890s or ex British Rail 1950s coaches.  A number of journeys will be taking place between Amersham and Harrow-on-the Hill during this bank holiday weekend, as part of the 150th anniversary celebrations of the world’s first underground in January 1863.

Tickets: Priced between £15 and £45. Tickets will be released shortly for sale. Please sign up to our e-Newsletter for the latest event announcements. Please note that children under the age of 11 are not allowed to travel in the Jubilee Coach. Please sign up to our e-Newsletter for the latest event announcements.

Edited by Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium

Please note that children under the age of 11 are not allowed to travel in the Jubilee Coach.

Are they afraid 10 year olds might wet themselves with excitement and soil the seats?  Or that 9 year olds will cover it in tags and cigarette butts?  It's a lovely and costly restoration job which they don't want trashed but if kids are travelling with parents I see no reason to impose limits.  

Who's to say a 12 year old won't spill a drink inside?

A bit of info added to the Steam On The Met weekend.

Each train formation will consist of a Steam Locomotive from the list above, Sarah Siddons Electric Locomotive, ex British Rail 1950s coaches, ex Metropolitan Jubilee coach and a Class 20 Diesel.

SOTM timetable: http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/assets/downloads/pdfs/SteamontheMetTimetable.pdf

Train 1: Steam Wembley Park - Amersham.

Train 2: Class 20 Amersham - Harrow-On-The-Hill. Steam Harrow-On-The-Hill - Amersham.

Train 3: Class 20 Amersham - Harrow-On-The-Hill. Steam Harrow-On-The-Hill - Amersham.

Train 4: Class 20 Amersham - Harrow-On-The-Hill.

Train 1: Carriage 353 - £35, Ex BR carriages Adult £30, Child £20

Train 2: Carriage 353 - £45, Ex BR carriages Adult £40, Child £20

Train 3: Carriage 353 - £45, Ex BR carriages Adult £40, Child £20

Train 4: Carriage 353 - £15, Ex BR carriages Adult £10, Child £5

Book tickets via http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/events/vehicles-on-the-move#steam

The LTM Acton Depot open day details are at http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/museum-depot/events

Is there any encouragement to use the Underground to Acton Town to reach this event?  With characteristic co-ordination skills, TFL have engineering work closing the District between Turnham Green and Ealing Broadway and the Piccadilly northwards from Acton Town all weekend.

• Like 1

While looking at the LT Museum ticket site, I stumbled across tickets for the A & 1938 stock trains on 19th May for sale. ( https://ticket.ltmuseum.co.uk/peo/default.asp Go to the menu on the left, click on 'Vehicles On The Move'). The A Stock does 6 trips and the 1938 Stock does 5. Tickets are £5 for the first and last trips on each train, the other trips are £15. Up to 3 children per group are free. It refers to view http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/events/vehicles-on-the-move for more info, but it isn't up there yet.