Met 1, Steam on the London Underground & related events

Paul.Uni

Might be last chance to sample 38TS on the Northern Line - Finchley Central to High Barnet is already converted to TBTC signalling (migration boundary is at West Finchley), next section will force any tripcock only trains to turn back at Archway.

Regards,

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

GNR N2 1744 has been added to the Epping Ongar Railway's LU150 event in June http://eorailway.co.uk/events/special-events/

Also the Steam On The Met ticket page https://ticket.ltmuseum.co.uk/peo/loader.asp?target=show_events_list.asp?shcode=301&interface=1&language=1 (go to the menu on the left, click 'Vehicles on the Move') shows a train at 13:00 on the 24th May. No further details.

• Like 1

'plus special guests attending...' on EOR site.

Could that be something else rather interesting? Sarah parked in the sidings? An LT pannier perhaps? another as yet unknown big engine? ( all speculation and what i'd want to see of course ;) )

Anyone with connections able to elaborate?

5521 will be running as L150 during SOTM and there will be a Bachmann limited edition of it. Info from LTM e-newsletter

Image of model: http://info.tfl.gov.uk/imgproxy/img/632744597/Loco+X.jpg

25 to 27 May

A rare opportunity to ride behind a former Great Western (later British Railways) Prairie Tank locomotive will be possible as part of the Tube150 Metropolitan line bank holiday runs. The specially hired in locomotive never actually saw service on the London Underground network but it has been uniquely repainted in London Transport steam locomotive livery with the number LU150 to mark the 150th anniversary of the London Underground. To mark such an unusual occasion, we have commissioned an exclusive model version from Bachmann in 1:76 (OO) scale. The model is scheduled to be on sale at Amersham station over the bank holiday weekend (TBC) and can also be pre-ordered by registering with London Transport Museum's Collector's Club.

More Information

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone help?

I've only just found out about the steam on the Steam on the Met event. The LT museum sire says that some tickets will be available on the day but I'm not hopeful.

I'm hoping to travel up early on Monday and not knowing that part of the network wondered if anyone could suggest the best station to get a view of the trains passing as a second best?

Thanks!

..... wondered if anyone could suggest the best station to get a view of the trains passing as a second best?

Thanks!

Chorleywood Station, northbound platform or car park was my favourite at previous SOTM events. The locos work hard up the hill and come toward you round a curve. The platform also affords a long view of trains running down the slope from Amersham and Chalfont. There is a bridge a short stroll south of the station if you need to get some soot in your face! Have fun!

RP

Be careful at Chorleywood. I noticed some ground works taking place there last week that may spoil the view.

Be careful at Chorleywood. I noticed some ground works taking place there last week that may spoil the view.

Thanks gents, 

I will check that out.

I'm just old enough to remember the 57XX's in LT service so would love to get reacquainted! 

I'm also intrigued at the idea of the prairie. I know the purists wont be happy but I think its going to look great in the LT maroon! I may not be able to stop myself getting the Bachmann model for my yet to be built LT layout!

Chorleywood was OK from the platform today. The view from the car park was slightly blocked by an LU emergency response vehicle and its occupant who insisted that the gates were not obstructed even though he was unable to open them without the aid of a hefty metal bar!

The Bachmann L150 prairie tanks were on sale on the platform at Amersham. The loco looked well in the special livery although maybe I am a bit of a purist so the model is not for me. A family member will no doubt help commemorate the event with the purchase of an appropriate Bachmann class 20 (or two).

RP

Edit: reminded that it is now LU not LT.

Edited by Roy P

Hmmm, I'm not sure I'll bother going - I was waiting to see photo's&video, but from what I've seen elsewhere, I don't think its worth the effort.

Why do they need a class 20 (let alone two) Sarah S should be able to provide the brake compressor, and if they had to hire a 20 as cover, why use it on every trip? I don't really understand why 3 steam locos each doing just one run are required, why not just Met No.1 and a Tysley ex-LT pannier? I'm sure there are reasons, but I'm not convinced they are good ones.

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm, I'm not sure I'll bother going - I was waiting to see photo's&video, but from what I've seen elsewhere, I don't think its worth the effort.

Why do they need a class 20 (let alone two) Sarah S should be able to provide the brake compressor, and if they had to hire a 20 as cover, why use it on every trip? I don't really understand why 3 steam locos each doing just one run are required, why not just Met No.1 and a Tysley ex-LT pannier? I'm sure there are reasons, but I'm not convinced they are good ones.

Jon

The services are quite intensive so it was deemed necessary to have several locomotives. Each train has two locomotives as a 'back up' in case of breakdown. Don't forget that the lines used accommodate regular intensive services so it is logical to provide each train with its own 'Thunderbird'.

• RMweb Premium

Why do they need a class 20 (let alone two) Sarah S should be able to provide the brake compressor

Not only as belt-and-braces insurance but remember that Sarah Siddons herself is somewhat older than the GWR panniers. ;)

The services are quite intensive so it was deemed necessary to have several locomotives. Each train has two locomotives as a 'back up' in case of breakdown. Don't forget that the lines used accommodate regular intensive services so it is logical to provide each train with its own 'Thunderbird'.

I'm not sure I regard 3 round trips per day as intensive, the 6 locos for one set of coaches seems to be twice what's required, in the 'good old days' of Steam on the Met they had two sets of coaches out - what a shame that they couldn't borrow Gordon the blue VEP to make a second train.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is  only really interested in seeing an ex-LT loco on these trains. As it happens it appears Met No.1 was failed after yesterday, so I've probably been saved a trip out, which is a shame, because when they were first announced I was quite upset that it looked like I would be in Paris this weekend, and I was secretly quite pleased to discover that trip had been cancelled. 

Jon

• RMweb Premium

A short clip is shown on the District Dave website of the train with Sarah S and the pannier tank on one end and a 20 on the other. Is this unique having steam, electric and diesel locos all working one train together?

Edited by PhilJ W

I was very disappointed to find that so many photographic vantage points have been ruined.  Some people may be able to take pictures through closely spaced steel mesh and at a push I could but mine would be rubbish.  No doubt prevention of vandalism is a higher priority than pandering to mere lensmen but it is a shame that the bolt-on topless cages have been found necessary at such rural idylls as Chorleywood Common and the public footpath just on the London side of Rickmansworth station.

5521 aka L150 looked better than I feared btw.

Chris