Edgehill electrified flyover, wavertree technology park

Home_Signal

Am not sure your text is correct, the picture shows Rathbone Road (ie the road bridge) that crosses the cutting that is still in place today, The gap in the two banks is where the Gridiron bridge over Rathbone Road used to be, Both banks have since been lowered, the one on the right has a nursing home on it, whilst the one of the left forms part of Wavertee Boulevard. The gridiron bridge was demolished shortly after is closed possibly around 1971. The rail bridge across the cutting which was out of shot to the left was part of the circular lasted much longer and may have still be standing when this picture was taken, but it was demolished when the Technology Park was being built.  Wavertree Tech station now lies in this picture which I think was probably taken from the top of the bank by the coal yard entrance on Rathbone Road. Apologises if I misread the meaning of the original text! 

Yes, that is definitely the gap were the bridge existed, the houses in background were demolished and some bungalows built on the other side of Pighue Lane, whilst a nursing home was built opposite them after much of the lower end of the Gridiron was levelled. The rest of the Gridiron site remained derelict until the mid 1980's when the decision to build the Technology Park was made following the Toxteth riots in 1981 and the fly tipping was removed! The railway station on the site of this photograph opened in 2000. 

Fantastic picture, I only remember the two bridges on the Edge Hill Circular line being jet black!  Interestingly the Gridiron bridge over Rathbone Road appears to of a slightly different construction that I can remember and is that a brick wall either side of it? If so it never lasted to the 1950/1960's suggesting that something changed in the intervening years?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

In this collection there is a shot from a train passing through the tunnel under the gridiron and over the L&M lines..

http://rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/index.htm?location=Liverpool&page=3

Just looked through these photos, some great shots, another good sight is derbysulzers some really good stories around the merseyside area I'll try and attach the link.

http://www.derbysulzers.com/birkenhead2.html

• 1 month later...

This may help - it's from a massive plan of Edge Hill, dated 1961

attachicon.gifedgehill.jpg

The line in question is labelled up / down Wapping more or less in the middle of the photo

attachicon.gifDAS_0010.jpg

Viaduct Junction details, the curve from bottom right to middle top is the main Liverpool - London line and is at the lower level, the connection from the shed to the down fast that I described is also visible

attachicon.gifDAS_0011.jpg

The original Rathbone Road sidings are visible on this shot, these were replaced by the ones I described above

attachicon.gifDAS_0013.jpg

I'm happy to take more detailed shots if anyone wants any

Dave,

Just to resurrect this thread, where are the loco holding sidings (used in diesel days)?? Do they sit within the land between the Mossley Hill line and the right/left swing of Viaduct Jct. to Engine Shed Jct.

Cheers,

Ian

Yes, that's exactly it, Mike. What a beaut of a photo.

I'd seen some Kerry Parker pics on Flickr - and established there's a potential scenic break with the line coming from the south to the east at the higher level. I was trying to work out where the next scenic break was / would be - your pic above clearly shows it would be the viaduct line from west to east.

With the release of the Bachmann 40, I'd been looking at a small (4' - 5') board with holding sidings and not the usual TMD. My layout aspirations are getting smaller and smaller! Alas, a much truncated effort would be my only option with this location.

Cheers.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Additionally 

On the (first picture in my posting here) plan notice the location "Engine Shed Junction" to the top left, this is where the connection to Edge Hill engine shed joined the running lines, also to the below the word "Viaduct" (in Viaduct Junction) is a single connection with the Down Chat Moss - see the preceeding posts for further information, the connection is also visible in some of the other photos of the plans.

hth

Here's 46041 on the depot

post-6662-0-17491300-1393107765_thumb.jpg

and 45072

(Engine Shed Junction is to the left of this picture, the relay room roof (iirc) can be seen poking out of the grass)

post-6662-0-82959800-1393107810_thumb.jpg

25283 makes it's way around the circular goods - 45072 in the foreground

post-6662-0-11378400-1393107919_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

That's great, thanks a lot.

The viaduct, with dummy lines running off 'under', would make an interesting backscene too. I take it the concrete abutment is the link to the old coaling stage?

Cheers.

Ian

Correct. the actual shed is off to the right of the 40s and my 46041 picture, under the viaduct.

All of this is now Wavertree Technology Park

• 2 weeks later...

Would love to see some photo's of a 6 wheel Wapping Tunnel brake van that was often formed on trains coming up the "front" (south side ) of the Gridiron whilst always seemed to work the last train on a Saturday dinnertime in the early sixties over the flyover! 

Thanks to all the contributors on this very interesting topic.

Slightly OT but apart from the pic in post #50 has anyone any more photos of Spekeland Road Freight Depot? I'm particularly interested in the late 70's into 1980's period.

Many thanks,

• 2 months later...

Additionally 

On the (first picture in my posting here) plan notice the location "Engine Shed Junction" to the top left, this is where the connection to Edge Hill engine shed joined the running lines, also to the below the word "Viaduct" (in Viaduct Junction) is a single connection with the Down Chat Moss - see the preceeding posts for further information, the connection is also visible in some of the other photos of the plans.

hth

Here's 46041 on the depot

attachicon.gifdas04570.jpg

and 45072

(Engine Shed Junction is to the left of this picture, the relay room roof (iirc) can be seen poking out of the grass)

attachicon.gifdas04571.jpg

25283 makes it's way around the circular goods - 45072 in the foreground

attachicon.gifdas04588.jpg

These are brilliant pictures, exactly how I remember the Edge Hill area when I was growing up (although there was a lot less there apart from the carriage cleaning plant). Although my layout is based (very roughly) on the Allerton area of South Liverpool I'm trying to capture the 'feel' of the Liverpool area in general from my youth, the dirt, black bricks, oily, a 'well used' feel.

Would I be ok to save these 2 pictures for personal use as inspiration? And if you have any more of the depot area, particularly the embankments and high-level lines surrounding it, I would love to see them.

Thanks, Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

No problem.

I do have some more but they need scanning and I'm not currently planning on doing any until after the summer, and I have quite a few thousand to scan when I do - might be a long wait I'm afraid.

Hi Mark,

No problem.

I do have some more but they need scanning and I'm not currently planning on doing any until after the summer, and I have quite a few thousand to scan when I do - might be a long wait I'm afraid.

Thanks for the reply and permission. The 2 pics above give me just enough to create a scenic break out of them, which is perfect. Unfortunately the track layout will be 180 degrees to Edge Hill depot, with my depot entrance arriving from underneath the plate girder bridge with the 25 going over it in your pic.

I look forward to seeing the rest of your pics from the area, you have excellent shots with many from places most people never got to access.

Mark

• 5 weeks later...